Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an oil change a few thousand miles ago and now have a small leak from the plate that covers the internal oil filter/mesh. On a 2014, this doesn’t have a gasket and the factory uses a sealant instead.

I tried Permatex Grey but either I didn’t get good enough coverage or should have used something else, perhaps Black instead.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
Permatex makes a non-hardening gasket sealer that can be used as a case sealer if the surfaces are true and clean. Think it's 80062. There is also Loctite 574 that I know is used for the same purpose but I have not used the latter. I try not to use the silicone stuff since dried blobs of it can break off on the inside and clog oil passages. If you do use it, use only a light smear which, actually, you should do with any of this stuff.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks both.

Permatex makes a non-hardening gasket sealer that can be used as a case sealer if the surfaces are true and clean. Think it's 80062. There is also Loctite 574 that I know is used for the same purpose but I have not used the latter. I try not to use the silicone stuff since dried blobs of it can break off on the inside and clog oil passages. If you do use it, use only a light smear which, actually, you should do with any of this stuff.
I'll try this for a quick fix as I'm off for a few days at the weekend.

Get one of these and you'll never have to mess with Permatex again. I clean the sump filter on both of my Ducs ever oil change and this makes it much quicker

https://motowheels.com/i-8426513-corse-dynamics-billet-aluminum-oil-drain-plate-cover-s4r-s4rs-848-1198-sf-diavel-m1200.html
I like this for the long term fix. Any tips on pulling the sump filter? It was stuck last time and so I punted on it for fear of breaking it...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
346 Posts
The sump filter can be a bit of a pain - I use a pair of needle nose pliers and pull down slowly with constant pressure until it pops out. Just be careful not to squeeze too hard with the pliers or the plastic will crack

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
What of good old "Blue Pooky" .... Permatex 77B .... ???

"sensor safe RTV Silicone Gasket Maker"

???? :confused:

I had an issue with it leaking after the first time I removed the sump cover. I drained it and sealed it up again with gray silicone, but this time let it sit without oil overnight. No more leaks.
I've done the same thing in various situations. Only variation was use of Permatex 77B "Blue RTV" rather than the grey stuff.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
469 Posts
It appears that Motoseal is actually Permatex MotoSeal Grey, which I used: Permatex 29132 MotoSeal 1 Ultimate Gasket Maker Grey, 2.7 oz

:frown2:
Then blame not that specific product, but maybe the application. I have used Motoseal for years in various applications with excellent success (not a failure yet). It seems to me to be identical to Hondabond (all anaerobic sealers). I worked at a motorcycle shop for while and we used it for some (mostly Honda) case covers that the factory doesn't call for a gasket.

It will not work if you had any oil residue on either side, and it's not easy to keep the oil pan clean unless you wait long enough for it to stop dripping.

Clean both sides (with carb cleaner or contact cleaner, something that will remove oil residue and not leave a film), apply a film to both sides, wait a minute or 2 and assemble. Then give it about 15 minutes or so and fill motor w/ oil. Maybe your film was too thin? But you also don't want major squeeze out.

Like I said, it works fine for me.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clean both sides (with carb cleaner or contact cleaner, something that will remove oil residue and not leave a film), apply a film to both sides, wait a minute or 2 and assemble. Then give it about 15 minutes or so and fill motor w/ oil. Maybe your film was too thin? But you also don't want major squeeze out.
Spoke to a tech at the dealer, guess what? There's DucatiBond :wink2:

Anyway, the tip was to let it set up for around 45 minutes before filling with oil.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Buy a roll of gasket material and make a gasket. It takes about two minutes if you just trace the outline of the plate. I gave up on sealers years ago and just make a new gasket once per season when I check the screen filter.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just checked my oil screen for the first time on an oil change this week on my 2011 MTS. Dealer had the gasket ( 78810651A ) in stock for $4 and change so I decided to go that route instead of sealant. It's been a couple days and we're leak free. For $4, will be way less mess and easier checking it next time. Definitely the way to go for me. 42,500 miles and screen looked brand new with only 1 little metal fleck.

·
Registered
158 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts