Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 999 03MY. My problem began at a track day last year...

I was running around when i was flagged for oil smoke.... I pulled in to find the whole inside of my fairing covered in oil... I quickly took the bike apart on the day and found that the air box was full of oil and it was coming out the breather... Then it was leaking onto the front head and exhaust... and there was that much of it, it was being picked up and sucked into the intake. I lowered my oil level and went out again... that run was ok, came back to the pits and everything seemed fine. Went out again and air box full of oil again and again got flagged for oil smoke. (track marshal strongly suggested i pack up and go home...)

I came home and read up on the net about how the oil can get sucked up through the breather, into the breather tank, it fills the breather tank and just cannot run back into the engine fast enough. I thought, ok, problem solved. I read that i have to move the one way valve from the breather in the crank up into the air box.

I used a billet alloy breather, removed the guts from it and got a PCV valve and placed it in the hose AFTER the breather box just before the air box. Now the thinking is that the oil has a full run back out of the breather box into the sum un-impeaded by the tiny return hole.

Here in lays my problem...

I have done another track day since then and thought all was ok. I have signed up to do another track day soon, and thought the problem was solved only to find out today when i went to start prepping the bike for next week that i again have an air box full of oil and it has leaked out all over the front of my engine from the drain hose. Yes its from the drain hose. I have checked the rocker cover gasket, its fine. I can see where there was a droplet of oil and the drain hose is a shit fit and doesnt seem to seal the oil in and drain it to the end of the pipe.

I have removed the air filters to look inside and the air filter are soaked in engine oil and if i reach inside the air box i can feel the oil coating everything and the pool of oil at the front of the airbox right in front of the drain...

I dont do wheelies, never have. The bike has only got 9000km (5700 miles) on it. I change the oil and filter every track day. The air filters are about 2 track days old and apart from the oil soaked into them, they look brand new. It has a Termi exhaust and genuine DP air filters. I have cut the oil filter open and pulled the pickup screen, both came up clean.

I am at a loss to even know where to start looking. Why am i getting so much oil in the air box ? How do i stop it ? Seems a shame to clean it up and sell it so it becomes someone else's problem on a bike that has so few km's. I love this bike, but this is really beginning to test me. I dont want to pay for another track day just to spend half of it in the pits after being black flagged for oil...

If i cant solve it, its going to the dealer to get traded in on the new 800 Hypermotard! So please help! :)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
When my bike did the same it had blewn the front cylinder, but I guess this isn't the case here. Anyway, before we found out what was the problem the Ducati experts suggested all kinds of engine related problems and also the possible problem with the breather.

My advice would be that you take it to some expert and let them check it out.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I thought I had a similar problem with my bike, but I found out it was just too much oil in the crank. I ended up lowering my oil level to right above the bottom line and it pretty much resolved my problems.

I also agree that buying a blow-by kit, isn't really the solution, especially if the bike has worked this long. If its all of a sudden having an issue, something has probably failed and you will need to get it fixed. I know many 999 racers who've blown their motors from similar situations, so I'd have it looked at. None of the Ducati motors are really designed for the abuse of track days/racing, they're built very tight for long lasting, which means things go bad quickly. If you take it into a shop, you should be able to at least get an answer.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
did you mod the crankcase breathing system before these issues.i'd start with the oem parts (in good workin order) and an oil level slightly below the middle line in the sight glass.brfore looking for problems

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crank case breather mod was done after to try and solve the problem.

The oil level is almost on the bottom mark, maybe 1mm or 2 over.

Will get it booked into a ducati dealer i think and get the tests done, if its ratshit, ill just throw it on ebay. I CBF stripping and engine down and repairing something that should not have to have this much work done on it after 9000km... 90,000 perhaps, but not 9000 and 3 track days. Tell me Ducati doent build engines for track days ?

Who knows, might be a good project for next winter :)

I still hate the idea that the cylinders could be knackered though..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts