Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I noticed tonight that i have a slight oil sepage from two of the bolts on the clutch side housing. I did vent the cultch housing and hadnt had any issues until now....any idea? Possibly the seal behind the clutch itself? Anyone?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I noticed tonight that i have a slight oil sepage from two of the bolts on the clutch side housing. I did vent the cultch housing and hadnt had any issues until now....any idea? Possibly the seal behind the clutch itself? Anyone?
Which bolts? Bottom two, or left two when facing the cover?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bottom two....
Ok, then that could be the clutch oil seal. I had a leak from around my breather tube/check valve assembly that was trickling down around the clutch cover. The drips would form around the clutch cover screws on the left, leading me to believe the clutch seal was bad. After buying clutch seals and tearing it down I found the case dry, and discovered the leak from above. The clean oil seeping from the breather was just difficult to see until it had picked up enough dirt to turn black down by the screws. Just something to check.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i would also check the air box look for oil there dont run the bike!!

if you find oil there its one of the cyilinders building pressure and pushing oil out where it can (pistin rings/ or worse :eek:)

i hope for your sake its not, but if it is fear not.........
.......i feel a project comming on lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
i would also check the air box look for oil there dont run the bike!!

if you find oil there its one of the cyilinders building pressure and pushing oil out where it can (pistin rings/ or worse :eek:)

i hope for your sake its not, but if it is fear not.........
.......i feel a project comming on lol
If that was happening, the oil would drain down all around the carbs through the air horn gaskets. The airbox is sloped forwards, forcing any liquid to puddle in the front.

If it's draining down the back it's in the neighborhood of the breather system which includes the check valve, expansion tank, and hoses that run up to the airbox. That plastic expansion tank over the exhaust has had a hole melted in it several times on my bike. The oil mist leaks out and drains on the clutch cover, looking like a clutch seal leak.

So to the OP, pull the fairing off and clean the side of the engine. If you see no oil dripping from above, pull the clutch cover off and look inside. Really easy to do, and then we don't have to speculate anymore.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If that was happening, the oil would drain down all around the carbs through the air horn gaskets. The airbox is sloped forwards, forcing any liquid to puddle in the front.

If it's draining down the back it's in the neighborhood of the breather system which includes the check valve, expansion tank, and hoses that run up to the airbox. That plastic expansion tank over the exhaust has had a hole melted in it several times on my bike. The oil mist leaks out and drains on the clutch cover, looking like a clutch seal leak.

So to the OP, pull the fairing off and clean the side of the engine. If you see no oil dripping from above, pull the clutch cover off and look inside. Really easy to do, and then we don't have to speculate anymore.

I'm thinking it's the seal as well? I've had the cover off to vent it and havent had any issues (1000 miles) until now. Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts