Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the oil filter wrench size/number? Bike is an ST3S . I'm hoping I can buy at an auto parts.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Patrick

·
Registered
780 Posts
My ST2 fits a KN-153 filter, which I believe is common across the line. Outside diameter is 3.063" or 78mm according to K&N.

I have a Blue Point wrench (#GA333B), which supposedly fits 2 7/8" to 3 1/3" diameter filters and works fine.

HTH.

·
Super Moderator
5,376 Posts
And the K&N 153 filter has a nut on the end which negates the use of dedicated oil filter wrench. :wink2:

·
Road Witch
5 Posts
So I have an ST4, but I believe it's a standard size. Since we recently had a K&N filter fail on one of our other bikes, we avoid K&N. I got my last oil filter from Bevel Heaven - Athena All Ducati w/Spin on Oil Filter ($15.79 + shipping + CA Tax = $23.91)

HTH

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Since we recently had a K&N filter fail on one of our other bikes, we avoid K&N.
How did it fail? I've been using K&N filters on my bikes for a long time. No problems. Hell, I picked up a case of 15 of them a while back. I'll be using them for a bit longer! I change oil and filter every 3K miles, however.

Reactions: tonered

·
Road Witch
5 Posts
How did it fail? I've been using K&N filters on my bikes for a long time. No problems. Hell, I picked up a case of 15 of them a while back. I'll be using them for a bit longer! I change oil and filter every 3K miles, however.
This is well-known issue if you google 'K&N oil filter failure'. In most cases the metal is thin on the nut end and over-tightening the nut weakens the metal causing it to fail. In our case the seal started leaking. We hand-tighten our oil filters or carefully tighten until just snug. Thirty years of wrenching experience here.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Doesn't take 30 years experience to read the instructions on just about every filter I've ever installed that say "hand tight only"...>:) I get just about one full turn on my K&N filters from the gasket contacting the case to tight. Never a leak, ever...

The nut on bottom of the K&N is for removing them and also to add a bit of safety-wire if you like.

Even if you can't get your hand on the filter too well, like the OEM Duc filter, you still should never go more than one full turn. I can get my hand on the K&N enough to tighten it, easier with clean rubber gloves to grip.

Reactions: tonered

·
Road Witch
5 Posts
Doesn't take 30 years experience to read the instructions on just about every filter I've ever installed that say "hand tight only"...>:) I get just about one full turn on my K&N filters from the gasket contacting the case to tight. Never a leak, ever...

The nut on bottom of the K&N is for removing them and also to add a bit of safety-wire if you like.
Agree. Many people don't read. Never had a leak either. :smile2:

Fortunately for us, we noticed it leaking in the driveway. That's better than on the road... and potentially losing an engine. It's just information. Do with it as you like. YMMV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts