Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was amazed yesterday when I swung by the local dealer....and they claimed that had no oil filter wrench available. (recommended grinding the edge of the cup off a generic........Hmmm.)....nothing on ebay, and a search here did not find anything either (lots about oil changing,...just nothing about where to find a filter wrench)

Any suggestions?

BC

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just use a strap wrench.

Or buy K&N filters with the 19mm (I think) fake nut molded into the housing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Use the K&N filter with the nut welded to the bottom of it.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
LT sells one at desmotimes.com. It is just a big set of plier jaws that fit many different oil filters. Look at the bottom of his Tools section. The same one can be procured at a Harbor Freight if you are near one. It will put some nice dings in the shell. So, I would not use this to put a filter on. Only for removal.

I found that there is enough filter exposed to tighten it to specification by hand.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
The Ducati filter is the same diameter as a filter for a BMW car. As an example a Fram PH2870 auto filter. Any of the autoparts stores should sell the cup style filter wrench, just match it to that filter base.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So, I would not use this to put a filter on. Only for removal.

I found that there is enough filter exposed to tighten it to specification by hand.
Just want to emphasize the bit about "tighten by hand". Don't use any wrench to install the oil filter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Filter pliers to the rescue!

Check out the Pic, the blue and yellow handled pliers are made for all types of oil filters, I use them on my commercial Diesels for fuel, separator and oil filters, cars, lawn mowers and my well filter at the house, good excuse to go to Napa or Pep Boys. The bust is I actually ordered online a shiny-aluminum machined billet this and that oil filter wrench that turned out to be mega-junk (thought it would look cool on my garage wall).

Good Luck, I'm big into filling the filter.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts