Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have searched the Dms forums and found various advice on different oil filters and references to tools to fit & remove them. I bought a new filter (Hiflofiltro HF-153) for my '95 900ss from a local dealer. Then I found I couldn't get the old one out, so got a universal filter tool to remove it. Of course this tool doesn't work to tighten filters, only to loosen them. After a bit of searching I found an aftermarket oil filter ratchet/wrench tool on ebay, advertised as being specifically for Ducatis. When it finally arrived, it didn't fit the filter. The tool has an octagonal shape with rounded internal angles, to fit over 8 (?possibly 16) external edges of a filter. This filter has 14 edges.

I stupidly didn't inspect the old filter closely before I threw it out and assumed that the new one would be a standard size & fit, so I can't compare them. The filter screws into place ok by hand but I obviously can't tighten it with this tool. Can someone point me to a tool that will work with this filter? Is this filter shape the 'norm'? Alternatively, are there other different shaped filters that will work with this filter tool?

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi guys

I have searched the Dms forums and found various advice on different oil filters and references to tools to fit & remove them. I bought a new filter (Hiflofiltro HF-153) for my '95 900ss from a local dealer. Then I found I couldn't get the old one out, so got a universal filter tool to remove it. Of course this tool doesn't work to tighten filters, only to loosen them. After a bit of searching I found an aftermarket oil filter ratchet/wrench tool on ebay, advertised as being specifically for Ducatis. When it finally arrived, it didn't fit the filter. The tool has an octagonal shape with rounded internal angles, to fit over 8 (?possibly 16) external edges of a filter. This filter has 14 edges.

I stupidly didn't inspect the old filter closely before I threw it out and assumed that the new one would be a standard size & fit, so I can't compare them. The filter screws into place ok by hand but I obviously can't tighten it with this tool. Can someone point me to a tool that will work with this filter? Is this filter shape the 'norm'? Alternatively, are there other different shaped filters that will work with this filter tool?
I have this, anf fit perfect on my 800 SS
http://goods.us.marketgid.com/goods/1/18178/
and think that was cheap.
Grettings.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link macmanaman. What kind of oil filter do you use? Is it OEM or aftermarket?

·
Registered
989 Posts
You never, NEVER use a tool to tighten the oil filter to the engine..

Read the instructions on the filter, it says HAND TIGHTEN ONLY..

You will get the filter TOO tight even using just your hand.

Once the rubber seal just touches the machined surface, you tuen it between 1/2 and 3/4 of a turn. THAT'S IT.

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok thanks guys. My old one was on a lot bloody tighter than that! :eek:

I read a post saying you should tighten more than hand tight due to engine metal expanding when hot and the filter coming loose if not tight enough ???

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=48518&highlight=oil+filter+leak

So you reckon tighten by hand only and use a tool if needed to remove? Still, is there a standard shape for a tool to remove the filter? I think the filter I bought must be a frankenstein :alien: as it doesn't look anything like the OEM

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Ok thanks guys. My old one was on a lot bloody tighter than that! :eek:

I read a post saying you should tighten more than hand tight due to engine metal expanding when hot and the filter coming loose if not tight enough ???

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=48518&highlight=oil+filter+leak

So you reckon tighten by hand only and use a tool if needed to remove? Still, is there a standard shape for a tool to remove the filter? I think the filter I bought must be a frankenstein :alien: as it doesn't look anything like the OEM
Huh. And it was ducvet too. dang. Then again "hand tight" is very relative, depending on your hand strength. I'd say tighten it by hand as hard as you can, and if it leaks then break out the torque wrench.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Simple answer.

If you need to tighten an oil filter with a wrench to keep it from leaking, you are buying junk oil filters or something is [email protected]#*ed up.

Just because you paid $18.00 for the factory Ducati oil filter, it doesn't mean it isn't junk. The ONLY time (twice) I have ever had an oil leak on a Ducati was when using OEM Ducati filters. That makes them junk in my opinion. I have used Perf-Form oil filters the last 2 or 3 years. I order them from my local friendly Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer because they (Perf-Form filters) are sold thru Parts Unlimited and any decent shop will order them for you.

Perf-Form filters have 14 sides too, so it won't help with your tool fit problem...but at least they don't leak.

Edit: Most motorcycle shops use Lightspeed software for point of sale/inventory/order management. And if they have any volume of sales at all, will have the Parts Unlimited module installed. Ask the parts counter guy to enter this part number: DUC-1, if they have Lightspeed w/PU...it will bring up the part and price and add it to their next PU order (if you decide to order it) It's amazing how much better things like this go at the parts counter if you can make it easy for them. No digging thru a catalog looking for a number, etc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
in all my years of working on any type of vehicle the oil filter has always been gloved hand tightened, its kind of like how you never wrench on an oil drain plug or spark plug (finger tight plus a quarter turn).

channel locks or a regular old oil filter plier is perfect for loosening old tight filters.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Huh. And it was ducvet too. dang. Then again "hand tight" is very relative, depending on your hand strength. I'd say tighten it by hand as hard as you can, and if it leaks then break out the torque wrench.
My experience with mine is that hand tight isn't tight enough on my bike using an OEM. Mine will leak. And before you start thinking I must be some little runt, I'm over 6' and 230 lbs. In terms of ducvet, I know him. He's been a Ducati only tech for 12 or 13 years, and was one of the two techs at a dealership that was named best service dealership in North America by Ducati NA within the past few years. A very knowledgeable, MMI trained mechanic. He says torque wrench, that's good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Those of us who make/made a living wrenching tend to have a learned sense of proper torque. I wish I had a buck for every spin-on filter I've installed. Most were removed with a large pair of Channellocks. My old K100 Beemer was the only thing that required a special wrench, and that was because the filter was up inside the crankcase under a cover plate.

I believe the K&N filters have a nut welded on the end.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Kn

I use the K&N on my 99SS, try to buy in bulk to save money.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
in all my years of working on any type of vehicle the oil filter has always been gloved hand tightened, its kind of like how you never wrench on an oil drain plug or spark plug (finger tight plus a quarter turn).

channel locks or a regular old oil filter plier is perfect for loosening old tight filters.
Looking around today I found and bought a 'regular old oil filter plier'. Amazing that I hadn't seen one or even been told they exist until the 5th auto parts places I looked at! Should fit into that small space and do all I need it to ie. loosen the filter (and tighten if a bit more than hand tight is needed, heeding everyone's advice here). Such a simple tool for a simple job :crazy: Plus it will fit all different filter shapes.

Now I can keep that nice red billet tool to wear around my neck as a bit of mc bling :D

Thanks for all yer input

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi guys

K&N is the way to go,built in nut in the center! The last thing I need in my tool box is another dam oil filter wrench.So spend the cash and put the filter wrench in the trash!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had a problem removing my oil filter because of bodywork being in the way. It is too much work to take off the bodywork so I ended up here looking at the diff. ways to get an old filter off. I found most of the tools to be too big to fit in the area I have (93 Bimota DB2 with a 900SS motor) so I came across another thread http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=63761&highlight=oil+filter that gave me the solution.
K&N makes a KN153 filter that fits not only my motor but the motors of about 400 other Duc's: http://www.knfilters.com/search/applications.aspx?Prod=KN-153
It is not the issue of putting it on, once it touches then 3/4 - 1 turn by hand, has always worked on everything. Even so it gets hard to come off at times. The K&N will solve this.

·
Señor Member
8,321 Posts
When installing a filter, most state on the can 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn after the seal makes contact. That resolves the issue of torque because of the set amount of turns. I use a K&N filter with the built in nut on the bottom, easy to install, easy to remove. It's even drilled should you want to safety wire it. And the few times I had trouble removing a filter, especially with the limited space on the Duc, used an old reliable universal filter removing tool, a screwdriver. Stab the filter and break it loose with the screwdriver.

"in God we trust"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts