Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello riders,

What kind of oil filter and spark plugs are you guys using for your ST3 bikes?
Appreciate your response.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Different engine so different plugs, although I also use NGK Iridium, but plus 1 on the KN-153. As a bonus, it has a place to apply lock wire. I also have a oil drain plug that can be lock wired, so I wire them together. Have I ever had a problem with the drain plug or oil filter coming loose during almost two decades of Ducati ownership prior to lock wiring? No... Not ever. But hey, lock wire is bad ass!

Reactions: PACABADA

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have had too many failures with K&N oil filters, the nuts just twist off and now you are searching for a thin strap wrench and had two leak at the spot weld for the nut. They are utter crap.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I have had too many failures with K&N oil filters, the nuts just twist off and now you are searching for a thin strap wrench and had two leak at the spot weld for the nut. They are utter crap.
I used to use them on all my Ducati’s because the nut helps with the filter bring so recessed in the case. Stupid design.

But because of experiences like yours most race organizations have banned use of the K&N filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I've examined the K&N oil filter. Just by looking, I was never impressed at the way the "nut" is spot-weled on.
Never used one.

And, since I'll be doing my oil changes, I have the proper "cup" and also a strap wrench that can remove my filters with ease. I use both Ducati and HiFiltro brands.

·
Super Moderator
5,443 Posts
I've been using K&N for many, many years. Never had an issue with the nut coming off. How tight are you people torquing the damn things down that you're ripping off the nut?

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
You never use the nut to tighten. Makes it nice to remove though. You are supposed to hand tighten an oil filter. About one full turn from the point where the gasket just makes contact with the case. Yes, there is a torque spec given for the filter in the manual, but... It is hard to get a grip on the filter to get it tight, but it can be done. Getting it off is the hard part and where the nut is a big help.

I've heard this before, about the nut busting off and the filters leaking at that point. IDK, never had an issue. I will say that years ago I bought a case of these filters so I do have an older batch / version than what you'd get today. I did read once that the newer K&Ns are more of a problem. I'll use up the filters I have on hand and see where things are then.

Reactions: socalnative

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know about the newest K&N oil filters but they used to be Hiflo filters with the additional nut.
I've seen some that have leaked near the nut. But every one had been tightened using the nut which is not it's purpose.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
hiflo don't make the k&n filters anymore, but they now do a "race series" filter with a nut on the bottom if it. just like a k&n. i believe there was a run of k&n filters after they changed manufacturers that were very wrong - threads were different or the like.

i always torque them to 11nm. never leak, come off easy enough. big multigrips work great - i think you americans call them channel locks.

·
19,081 Posts
Rumor was K&N switched supplier to a different third world nation when all the failures happened. Since then even if it changed it was too late. Racing clubs already had enough tracks being oiled down to say no more. Deserved or not.

Now I know that OEM Ducati filters also had a deserved rep for leaking unless torqued to within of inch of their lives. I also found this to be true. But generally I think putting a torque wrench on something with a rubber gasket is just asking for trouble. 3/4 - 1/1 turn after gasket contact works 99.999
% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
5,443 Posts
But generally I think putting a torque wrench on something with a rubber gasket is just asking for trouble. 3/4 - 1/1 turn after gasket contact works 99.999
% of the time.
Especially true if you're going to safety wire the filter anyway!

·
19,081 Posts
And that I loved about the K&N. Race track standard now is a hose clamp and safety wire. It’s cool because if you change oil after each race/track day you just loosen and reuse the hose clamp without re-wiring.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've been using K&N for many, many years. Never had an issue with the nut coming off. How tight are you people torquing the damn things down that you're ripping off the nut?
The two that leaked around the weld had only been on the bike for less than 200kms. They were hand tightened, I had not put a wrench on the nut. They were on a VFR 800. One, on a BMW that had sat for about 5 years, was tight. I bought it that way. Had to weld a bar of steel on to it to twist it off. The oil filter recess for oil heads is worse than Ducati’s. I also had a nut twist off on an older 900 Supersport, it had leaked around the o-ring and I had tightened it with a wrench on the nut. It may have ended up over tight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts