Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the stock plastic oil filler plug with a nice metal one. Looks, good, but I hadn't thought about how hot they'd get. I guess that's why Ducati uses the plastic in the first place. As a related matter, how hot are your bikes running. Mine got up to about 240 f. bringing it home from the dealer. Seems kind of hot to me. My harley, with no oil cooler, seemed to run no hotter than that. Also, today I seemed to notice a fair amount of heat at my left leg. Nothing crazy, but I hadn't noticed it before. Just asking a lot of questions as my bike's new and I don't have any experience with Ducatis. Thanks much.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That doesn't sound bad. When I bought my bike, I went back and talked to the mechanic about what to expect with the machine, and he told me not to freak out when I saw the temp gauge get real high, that it's normal. Said since it is reading oil temp and not water, that customers think it is overheating when they see the temp on the display. And I live in Las Vegas and have had no problems. You're good to go.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Stuck in traffic mine has gone as high as 135C, which is about 275F. Freaked me out a bit, but I was told not to worry. Cools off pretty quick once moving, too. It's hot here and daytime I'm usually around 105C or 221F when I ride around town, commuting. Evenings it usually doesnt go above 100C, 212F. (No, I'm not a math genius, using an online converter):cool:

·
Registered
985 Posts
The oil temperature indication was occasionally causing a minor freak out with me, as well. I just switch the window to the clock mode after the engine reaches operating temperature. No more "high" temp indication. Ah, blissfull ignorance! The bike basically can't get hot enough for any damage to take place, assuming the presence of oil and a good oil pump. That's what the oil pressure idiot light is for.

As I've never had a copper oil drain crush washer fail, that's what I use.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine gets to 220 or so in normal riding in hot weather. Stuck in traffic, will go to 275 or so. At around 250-255, sitting still in traffic or a light, the engine makes louder sounds (like belts etc type noise). Goes away at under 250.

In any case, I baby it a bit - if its over 275-280, I'll pull over for a snack and let her cool a bit.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Oh yes mine rattles like a bastard when I'm up in desert temps.

When I'm up at around 130 degrees C, so about 265 F, it's sounds like my ancient diesel Jetta. So I stop, have a bit to eat, start it up it sounds like a dream and off I go again. :cool:

No temperature problems at all, I've never seen the Hi warning message

Curious about engine noise, do any of your bikes sound (or seem) different when it gets to such high temps?

·
Registered
22 Posts
What really freaks me out is, in winter (we have pretty cold winters in my region), when my bike hardly reaches 60ºC (140 ºF). Has it ever happened to you? Has anybody tried to avoid it covering the oil filter?

Saluten!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes, people have mentioned covering the oil cooler with tape or something else during the cold seasons. I'm definitely going to do that after summer, as it sometimes takes 10-15 minutes to get above "LO" temp.

I wonder how hard/ill-advised it would be to plumb in a bypass circuit behind the oil cooler to take it out of the loop entirely.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Actually, I looked at the oil schematic for the engine, and there is a bypass reed valve already inside - if the oil cooler were to fail/clog, the pressure coming to this valve would increase and it would open, allowing oil into the filter area without going through the cooler. So if one trusted this reed valve enough, one could simply add a shutoff valve to one side of the oil cooler.

Or if you want to do a little more plumbing, remote oil thermostats are available that keep most of the oil (not all, to avoid air pockets and "cold oil shock") bypassing the cooler until the oil temp reaches 180 F, and then open to put it through the cooler, allowing faster warmups and safer cold weather operation. Here's an example: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRM-1070&N=700+-124017+115&autoview=sku

·
Registered
22 Posts
Actually, I looked at the oil schematic for the engine, and there is a bypass reed valve already inside - if the oil cooler were to fail/clog, the pressure coming to this valve would increase and it would open, allowing oil into the filter area without going through the cooler. So if one trusted this reed valve enough, one could simply add a shutoff valve to one side of the oil cooler.

Or if you want to do a little more plumbing, remote oil thermostats are available that keep most of the oil (not all, to avoid air pockets and "cold oil shock") bypassing the cooler until the oil temp reaches 180 F, and then open to put it through the cooler, allowing faster warmups and safer cold weather operation. Here's an example: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRM-1070&N=700+-124017+115&autoview=sku
It would be great to make/have made such mod, but I can't guess why our bikes don't come with a similar system.

Saluten!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
IIRC when the oil cooler on JCs Paul Smart died in a very messy way on his way home to LA from SF. He just bypassed it and ran it like that for a short time, it worked fine.

The best part was that the bike didn't overheat without an oil cooler.

Actually no, the best part was that the bike died right beside a Ducati owners house. They got it fixed up and cleaned up in no time :cool:

Of course one solution for the cold temp problem is to go for longer rides. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wonder how hard/ill-advised it would be to plumb in a bypass circuit behind the oil cooler to take it out of the loop entirely.
I can't see it hurting, maybe rig up something like the thermostat system used in cars.

The only cause for concern is that it is a pressurised system so rigging up a bypass or thermostat would introduce another potential failure point and probably not be worth the effort - taping up the fins would work just as well and be a lot easier to remove/undo.

Cheers,

Brett

·
Registered
576 Posts
I can't see it hurting, maybe rig up something like the thermostat system used in cars.

The only cause for concern is that it is a pressurised system so rigging up a bypass or thermostat would introduce another potential failure point and probably not be worth the effort - taping up the fins would work just as well and be a lot easier to remove/undo.

Cheers,

Brett
Agreed, much simpler - maybe a decent looking piece of coated fabric/heavy duty mylar/whatever with some elastic and hooks could be put together to cover the cooler and look clean, but stow away small.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Whew!
Thanks for adding that, glad it wasn't me finding noises to stress over other than what it seemed like.

Oh yes mine rattles like a bastard when I'm up in desert temps.

When I'm up at around 130 degrees C, so about 265 F, it's sounds like my ancient diesel Jetta. So I stop, have a bit to eat, start it up it sounds like a dream and off I go again. :cool:

No temperature problems at all, I've never seen the Hi warning message

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad to find this thread! I'll stop freaking out about the temp guage and the heat cooking my left thigh now.

The only thing worse than the screw in the rear tire on the way home yesterday was the thought of needing engine work too. All I could think before the handling went out suddenly was a steady stream of cash flowing away from my pocket. By the time I pulled over, I was ready to scrawl "for sale" on the side with a crayon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts