Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to change the oil today until I found out the drain plug was stripped. I got it out after an hour, but I'll need a new one. Can I just buy a bolt that will fit, or do I have to have a Ducati specific drain plug?

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
There are a few aftermarket drains out there that use a hex head instead of an allen.

To be honest I would put a new oem in, better to strip out the drain bolt than strip the cases. The oem drain is brass and is soft for a reason, a new one will be fine for the bikes life if you use a good allen.

torque will be 33ftlbs
dont forget the crush washer

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just picked up one of these.

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=507|Ducati%20OEM%20Parts&productID=1924&showdetail=1&categoryID=1101|ST%20Engine%20External&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts&collection=

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found one. O'Riley's Autoparts the dimensions are M22 x 1.5

Also, I used Mobil 1 15w50 Fully Synthetic and 20k miles on the clock. How many miles should I expect to get from this oil?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was going to change the oil today until I found out the drain plug was stripped. I got it out after an hour, but I'll need a new one. Can I just buy a bolt that will fit, or do I have to have a Ducati specific drain plug?
I had the same problem w/ my '95 SS recently. The stock plug has a misfit insert for the key. I went to MotoWheels.com and first clicked on European Motorcycle Parts, then Aluminum Billet, then Ducati SS Billet. I think mine was 14mm. Comes w/ a built-in O-ring. $25.95 + shipping.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
I would think about 1000 miles depending on how you ride it, also look at some oil threads on here. A wealth of info!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts