Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know off hand the torque for the drain bolt? It is a different head size than my S2R and my late great ST3s, so I don't want to over/under tighten it.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I need to see about ordering the shop manual. All my experience on ducs has been the earlier shallow sump. So on this deep sump, is there a filter screen that needs to be removed and cleaned too? Location?

Bill I suspect it's the same sump as the 1098/1198 so perhaps a post on that subforum may get the answer??

Chris

Does anyone know off hand the torque for the drain bolt? It is a different head size than my S2R and my late great ST3s, so I don't want to over/under tighten it.

thanks!

·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I believe there is the "lower sump" which is covered with that square plate, and it gets services at 7500 miles. It has either the screen or a second filter in there. Sure wish the F1098 maintenance manual would come out... I would hate to buy a 1098 pdf cd, and then double up having to buy the F1098 cd.

I couldn't find anything further on ducatispot about the sump filter. It's mentioned in the service manual portion of the users manual.

I'm good to go with the oil change, wish my tuning was a little better. Still better than when I got the bike. Also had to order a bigger pin for my pit bull. That rear axle is HUGE!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Which pin did you order? One for 1098? Does it fir both sides?
Two different pin sizes one for left side and one for right. I ordered the pitbull reversible rear stand which comes with both size pins to enable placement on the left or right side. The pins are the same size as the STANDARD 1098 (NOT 1098R model!)/ I've several pitbull stands and are exc.

Chris

·
Registered
47 Posts
Could you measure the pin diameters? I have reversible pitbull with one pin set for standard Ducati and other for Triumph. I wonder if I have to order both new pins or maybe one/both from other sets would fit.

·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes as Chris said... one side (left I believe) is 41mm, right is 43. I only have one pit bull stand set, I just swap pins. Need to get me a pair of sport chocks!

Chris do you know what pin for the front steering stem size is. Every chart is see say "special" but no pin / adapter#.

Oh and I believe the sump filter gets looked at even further along than 7500 miles. Sure wish I had a SF Main. CD. Heck I just tensioned the chain and had to find that spec also. Frickinfrackinfrickityfrack.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Bill I've got a lockhart philips front stand that came with multiple pins. The 27mm one fits perfectly.

Chris

Yes as Chris said... one side (left I believe) is 41mm, right is 43. I only have one pit bull stand set, I just swap pins. Need to get me a pair of sport chocks!

Chris do you know what pin for the front steering stem size is. Every chart is see say "special" but no pin / adapter#.

·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
143 Posts

·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No dealer by me. So it's 10 minutes to do myself or 8 hours to make the round trip to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
No dealer by me. So it's 10 minutes to do myself or 8 hours to make the round trip to the dealer.
That would be a hard toss up. If I could spend 8 hrs on my bike, I just might have to do it :).

I'm lucky only to live 30 miles from my dealer. I could care less about them performing the 600 mile maitenance but the 7500 is different. I adjusted the belts/valves on my Duc 695 Monster. It was a pretty simple task especially since I had never adjusted valves before. I had software for resetting the TPS and adjusting idle. But to be honest I'm not so sure I could adjust the valves on the SF. Not stating that from a technical standpoint but from a time consuming standpoint.

I will put the first 500 mile day on it next weekend, should be a fun day!

·
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is why it's important, to me, to have two bikes. I alternate service work since I've been doing it myself. The S2R1k was always simple enough, late great ST3 only sucked because I hate removing the fairing to do ANYTHING... I'm sure the F1098 will involve removing all sorts of bits to get at the valves. If it takes a week, it takes a week... the slow boat always wins when it comes to maintenance in my book. Even if I had gobs of money, I still feel obligated to understanding the bike since I'm riding it...then again, if I had gobs of money I might think differently :)

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
That would be a hard toss up. If I could spend 8 hrs on my bike, I just might have to do it :).

I'm lucky only to live 30 miles from my dealer. I could care less about them performing the 600 mile maitenance but the 7500 is different. I adjusted the belts/valves on my Duc 695 Monster. It was a pretty simple task especially since I had never adjusted valves before. I had software for resetting the TPS and adjusting idle. But to be honest I'm not so sure I could adjust the valves on the SF. Not stating that from a technical standpoint but from a time consuming standpoint.

I will put the first 500 mile day on it next weekend, should be a fun day!

Only 08 and 09 bikes covered by this program, sf is a 10

Chris

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Only 08 and 09 bikes covered by this program, sf is a 10

Chris
sales guy told me that my 600 mi and 7500 mi maintenance visits were free...:confused:

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
the first year is free if you bought the bike after the recalls and delays.. Most dealers will give you the first service free, but now it's official (assuming you ride it enough in the first year).. and IF you can get 7500 miles on the bike in a year,, then you get the second one free as well. .. at least that's all the way my dealer explained it to me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the first year is free if you bought the bike after the recalls and delays.. Most dealers will give you the first service free, but now it's official (assuming you ride it enough in the first year).. and IF you can get 7500 miles on the bike in a year,, then you get the second one free as well. .. at least that's all the way my dealer explained it to me.
What is official -all service in first year is free? Was there some dealer bulletin about it? If so, can you point me to it, so I can use this at my next dealership visit?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts