Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to upgrade the oil cooler on my 1997 SS/SP to a larger, more efficient model and move it up to the intake valve cover from the stock exhaust valve cover location. Has anyone done this? Questions:
1. Which cooler is best to use?
2. Can I just switch the valve covers to mount it, or do I need a different intake valve cover?
3. Where do I get the longer oil lines that I'd need?
Thanks all for any help!
Joe

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd like to upgrade the oil cooler on my 1997 SS/SP...
1. Which cooler is best to use?
2. Can I just switch the valve covers to mount it, or do I need a different intake valve cover?
3. Where do I get the longer oil lines that I'd need?
You can just swith the valve covers. I installed the stock FE cooler and lines on a '96SS motor and it fit perfectly. So if you can get ahold of FE oil lines, you're in business. Mind you, that's with the stock cooler. IMHO, greater oil cooler capacity is not need but I agree having it higher up makes sense for air flow.

·
Registered
536 Posts
raising the oil cooler blocks airflow to the rear cylinder. ducati placed the cooler low to allow a straight shot of cooling air to flow over the rear cylinders. (take a look through the front of your SS) ...FE's do this via the ducts in the fairings, so do injected SS's i think. (now that i think of it, that may even be part of the reasoning for the long intake tracts..to keep the carbs from blocking airflow t the rear cyl)....anyhew I wouldnt do this mod on a full fairing SS without the FE side ducts. Cooling the rear cylinder is more important than cooling the oil cooler imho.
i doubt the bike will blow up or anything if you do the mod...just sayin the cooler was mounted low for a reason.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Why do you want to move/upgrade? Is it overheating?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why do you want to move/upgrade? Is it overheating?
I do have the cooling ducts on my full fairing (it's a 1997), but I have been using some CR 1/2 fairings. It seemed to be running kind of hot at my last track day, but it just may have been a bit lean. I recently put on some Silmoto headers and went one size richer on the main jets, but I think I need to go richer still. I agree about airflow; it does seem that it would get more air to the rear cylinder if I leave the oil cooler where it is. Oh well; half the fun of these bikes is tinkering and modifying them :think:! Thanks for the replies.
Joe

·
Registered
70 Posts
raising the oil cooler blocks airflow to the rear cylinder. ducati placed the cooler low to allow a straight shot of cooling air to flow over the rear cylinders. (take a look through the front of your SS) ...FE's do this via the ducts in the fairings, so do injected SS's i think. (now that i think of it, that may even be part of the reasoning for the long intake tracts..to keep the carbs from blocking airflow t the rear cyl)....anyhew I wouldnt do this mod on a full fairing SS without the FE side ducts. Cooling the rear cylinder is more important than cooling the oil cooler imho.
i doubt the bike will blow up or anything if you do the mod...just sayin the cooler was mounted low for a reason.
Hey Kozmo,

Good info.
It really got me thinking, so I did go and look at the front of my SS.
I have a half faired '92 750 and it has side ducts which seem to route air right at the rear cylinder.
The vents under the headlight look like they lead into the steering head area. I guess air can get by and get at the rear cylinder too, but it seems like it would get plenty of airflow from underneath the fairing also.

I bought my bike with the cooler already up there and thought that was the stock location.
It looks like it naturally belongs there.

Were the old Paso's or Sport's oil coolers there?
I think they have the same vents.

Just my .02 cents

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts