Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an Enduro Pack when I purchased my V4S. I was able to install everything but the oil cooler guard. The instructions that come with it are garbage. It says to remove 3 bolts on the oil cooler, and a little plastic trim piece by the fork. Next picture shows the oil cooler completely removed, but there's no way with just doing those steps that the oil cooler comes out.

Is removing the oil cooler the only way to install this? I'm not seeing any other way of doing it. All that holds the oil cooler guard on is 4 zip ties.

Seems like if it had to come out completely, that the instructions would have specified that.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950, 2018 Desert Sled
284 Posts
Try going on Evotech website and see if they have an oil/radiator guard now available for the v4s. I bought their radiator and oil cooler guard for my 2017 MTS and the instructions were downloadable from their website. Very well illustrated

·
Registered
284 Posts

Found it for you! On the web page is the radio button for the instructions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
So that Evotech instruction is not going to help the OP as the factory set is just a single grid that is connected via four zip-ties in the corners and it does not require removal of the side panels to get access to the radiators.

I just did the same install on Sunday and I felt the same way about the install as the OP, the oil cooler guard was the biggest PITA to install. So once you remove the plate from the fork by using a 3mm allen wrench you should be able to remove the 3 screws holding on the oil cooler mount, one on the top and two on the sides, they are 4 or 5mm allen, I forgot.

The key is to not have the cross beam of the side guards installed yet as it will not allow you to pull down the oil cooler as the braided hoses would catch on the cross beam. So if you already mounted the side guards (as did I) you will have to loosen one side and remove the cross beam. This will allow the oil cooler to drop down a considerable amount and you can feed through the zip ties in all four corners to have it mounted.

The other key point is to not have the zip tie ends on top of the radiator guard as after cutting off the long ends their sharp end could chafe the water hose right above. I had to rotate the ends towards the front of the radiator so they wouldn't chafe the hose.

Once you're done mushing the oil cooler back in place is kind of a pain as well, it will feel like it's not wanting to go back where it came from with the duct work behind it, I'm still not 100% sure I've done it right myself.

Good luck!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I forgot to mention that you want the thick copper washer between the fins on the fog lights so the fins don't get crimped and bent/broken when you torque down the screw going through it. Once the lights are installed you will have to have the dealer enable them using their diagnostic software before they will work. Mine did it free of charge during the 600 mile service on Saturday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So that Evotech instruction is not going to help the OP as the factory set is just a single grid that is connected via four zip-ties in the corners and it does not require removal of the side panels to get access to the radiators.

I just did the same install on Sunday and I felt the same way about the install as the OP, the oil cooler guard was the biggest PITA to install. So once you remove the plate from the fork by using a 3mm allen wrench you should be able to remove the 3 screws holding on the oil cooler mount, one on the top and two on the sides, they are 4 or 5mm allen, I forgot.

The key is to not have the cross beam of the side guards installed yet as it will not allow you to pull down the oil cooler as the braided hoses would catch on the cross beam. So if you already mounted the side guards (as did I) you will have to loosen one side and remove the cross beam. This will allow the oil cooler to drop down a considerable amount and you can feed through the zip ties in all four corners to have it mounted.

The other key point is to not have the zip tie ends on top of the radiator guard as after cutting off the long ends their sharp end could chafe the water hose right above. I had to rotate the ends towards the front of the radiator so they wouldn't chafe the hose.

Once you're done mushing the oil cooler back in place is kind of a pain as well, it will feel like it's not wanting to go back where it came from with the duct work behind it, I'm still not 100% sure I've done it right myself.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response! I've gotten the plate off the fork, and the 3 Allen's that attach the oil cooler to the mount. I was not able to get the oil cooler out and lowered enough for the zip ties to go through and me be able to reach them. Something was holding it back, it seemed like something was still attached from the backside.

When you say cross beam of the side guards, do you mean the engine bars, with the cross beam being the bar that connects the two sides together? If so, those were not installed yet when I attempted this. I started with what I thought would be the easiest part of the job. If that's not what your talking about, could you explain further?

When you pulled the oil cooler down after undoing the 3 Allen bolts, was the back plate still attached to it? With that back plate on I'm not sure how you'd manage to get to the zip ties to wrap it around the oil cooler.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention that you want the thick copper washer between the fins on the fog lights so the fins don't get crimped and bent/broken when you torque down the screw going through it. Once the lights are installed you will have to have the dealer enable them using their diagnostic software before they will work. Mine did it free of charge during the 600 mile service on Saturday.
Got all that installed already. When I picked up my kit from the dealer, they couldn't print the instructions, but I took pictures of them off their computer, so I was able to refer to them on the things I needed help figuring out.

I am doing the same, but my dealer was backed up until the end of July for my 600 mile service. I will be doing my own oil change, and they will be doing the rest of the 600 mile stuff plus activate the lights & install the oil cooler guard if I can't do it

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry guys! Just trying to help. Thanks Greg!
I have to ask... on a $25,000 bike they are using zip ties to hold the radiator guard?? Isn't the plastic going to wear in half and break due to vibration??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to ask... on a $25,000 bike they are using zip ties to hold the radiator guard?? Isn't the plastic going to wear in half and break due to vibration??
No problem. Appreciate the reply. I actually thought of the same thing you did, but when I saw Evotech has a completely different way of installing, plus its all 3 guards, I found it didn't apply to this install using the OEM oil cooler guard.

And yes, zip ties are used to attach it. Hopefully they are heavy duty, and will last through many thousands of miles. But I agree, on an OEM accessory oil cooler guard, you'd think they would have thought of a better way of attaching it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The guard is basically a thin plastic grate, it has practically no weight and I am not sure how much it actually protects. The zip ties are small and not exactly strong. One already snapped when I tried to rotate it forward so it wouldn't chafe the hose. Had to install one from Home Depot. Having said that there are over 40 zip ties on the bike already and they tend to do OK with holding stuff so I think they will do the job they intended to do.

@JsmithV4S can you post the pictures you took at the dealer? I'd love to see them.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. C'mon Ducati ....surely you can do better than this.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bolts and screws may break but a good quality zip tie will never.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The guard is basically a thin plastic grate, it has practically no weight and I am not sure how much it actually protects. The zip ties are small and not exactly strong. One already snapped when I tried to rotate it forward so it wouldn't chafe the hose. Had to install one from Home Depot. Having said that there are over 40 zip ties on the bike already and they tend to do OK with holding stuff so I think they will do the job they intended to do.

@JsmithV4S can you post the pictures you took at the dealer? I'd love to see them.
Sending you a PM

·
Registered
132 Posts
I also had difficulty getting the zip ties to be properly directed when pushing them through the oil cooler.

Eventually, I used a loop of safety wire placed behind the oil cooler to encircle the protruding zip tie end, and then pull it in the direction I wanted it to go (over the top of under the bottom of the oil cooler.) That worked a treat, and made an otherwise frustrating install complete.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed the Ducati oil cooler guard on my v4 it wasn't easy but I didn't have to remove the cooler you have to pull the cross over rad hose out of the plastic holder on the top to get the zip ties in.
Finicky job but doable. The zip ties are good enough for the job they have to do you don't want to shove metal bolts through the rad. The aluminum screen is very light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts