Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit 6k miles the other day, and at a stoplight oil exploded all over my foot. The engine began running hot, so I ended up pushing her home.

It looks like the oil cooler had an explosion. I have a grill on top of the cooler, so I didn't hit a piece of debris. I'm not sure if it's the hoses or the cooler itself, but I figured I'd replace the entire thing just to be safe.

Does anyone have one for sale in the US?

Best,
Daniel

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I hit 6k miles the other day, and at a stoplight oil exploded all over my foot. The engine began running hot, so I ended up pushing her home.

It looks like the oil cooler had an explosion. I have a grill on top of the cooler, so I didn't hit a piece of debris. I'm not sure if it's the hoses or the cooler itself, but I figured I'd replace the entire thing just to be safe.

Best,
Daniel
Sorry, don't have one to sell, but I have been through the same thing - exactly the same, cooler burst, oil on the foot, etc. One thing I can tell you is that you can run the bike just fine without an oil cooler while you are sourcing a replacement - just use one of the lines to connect the two ports on the engine. It has surpisingly little effect on operating temperature. In fact, Ducati used the 1000DS engine in a Monster without any oil cooler at all, so you won't be doing anything the factory didn't also do.

In my case I actually burst two oil coolers before investigating the cause. There is a little reed valve installed above the oil filter that regulates flow to the cooler. You can get at it by removing the filter and then unscrewing the nipple that the filter screws onto. Maybe have a peek at that to make sure there is nothing preventing it from moving properly. In my case there was a piece of flashing on the engine case that seemed to be interfering. I ground that off and all was well after that.

6,048 Posts
First I would see if it is the oil cooler and not just a loose fitting
Clean it up real well
and start the bike and see where it starts to seep

There are many on Ebay for sale.
or check out Gotham Cycles one of our vendors here

Brand new from Ducati is $385

Best,
Daniel

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Or plug-it for $5

Looping the oil line is the best temporary fix, as long as the oil line itself was not the cause of the leak.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
What size bolts are used to plug the oil line holes and where do you get them from? TIA

Signed,
Weight Weenie

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
What size bolts are used to plug the oil line holes and where do you get them from? TIA

Signed,
Weight Weenie

780.1.037.1A Cap Plug M14x1.5
$3.13

787.1.011.1A Aluminum Gasket (washer) 14x22x2
$0.28

Pick them up @ you favorite Ducati dealer or order online and pay an additional $12.00 shipping & handling.

Or if you have an M14 x 1.5 thread hex head bolt & M14 sealing washer laying around, throw them on

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
780.1.037.1A Cap Plug M14x1.5
$3.13

787.1.011.1A Aluminum Gasket (washer) 14x22x2
$0.28

Pick them up @ you favorite Ducati dealer or order online and pay an additional $12.00 shipping & handling.

Or if you have an M14 x 1.5 thread hex head bolt & M14 sealing washer laying around, throw them on
JUST DON'T FORGET TO TAKE OUT THE BY-PASS SPRING!

Drop the oil filter; Remove the filter nipple and the spring will fall out. Reinstall nipple (w/lock #2) and replace filter.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Thanks for the info, NExE, and the heads up about the bypass spring.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts

Best,
Daniel
I think I have one from my 07 lines and all ... with about 3000 miles on it kicking around somewhere ...I can let you have it for a decent price ...I need to look around if you PM me I'll hook you up ...

Muzz

·
Registered
360 Posts
So out on a nice Sunday ride today when all of a sudden my left peg feels a bit slick. I look down only to find that the SC decided to play the old exploding oil cooler trick on me mid way through. Left foot + the whole left side of the bike completely covered in oil. EVERYWHERE! Wondering if I actually rode for a quite a ways prior to noticing.

Anyway - after seeing the plug trick here, I have to say that I like the ideal. How's it held up? Is there any major difference in running temp? Deciding if I want to spend a few hundred on a new cooler or just remove in entirely.

Thoughts?

Warped tank - check
Flaming voltage RR - check
Fuel pump dislocation - check

What else is there? Figure I just prepare now...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
That sucks, was there actually a hole or something or did it come loose at the fitting?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I blew 2. One going down the back straight into Canada corner at Road America. Thank God for corner workers, they saw it, black flagged me and I safely made it off the track. If I would have got into the corner...well I didn't so...

I have run with the oil cooler blocked off and the temp diff is about 30F. Instead of putting another stock SC cooler on I went back a few model years and found a Monster cooler. They are pretty much the same as the SC but have a frame around them. I *believe* that this frame holds the cooler stacks together and prevents them from shaking apart at the seams. It has performed fine for 2 racing seasons. Crossed fingers, knock on wood.....

·
Registered
360 Posts
I cleaned up the bike and checked the fittings when I got home. Everything was tight and happy. The left side of the cooler unit is separating/ delaminating and there's no evidence of an impact. I'm on a 2006 SC with over 10,000 miles so I think it just wore itself out. Bummed. I was having a great ride on a BRAND NEW set of Pirelli SC2 tires - the rear now will most likely need to be replaced because of a few pretty good size oil spots. Front looks okay though.

Really good to know about the loop trick though!

I'm going to start looking into other options for coolers. I think its best to not plug and run a cooler - maybe just not another one of OE units. Not exactly confident in that design anymore.

That sucks, was there actually a hole or something or did it come loose at the fitting?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Wipe the tire down with mineral spirits. Keep it off the wheels and paint, use rubber gloves. It will remove the oil. Most of us vintage racers carry it along with us for such purposes. After my oil down at Road America, I cleaned the rear wheel with mineral spirits, plugged the oil cooler lines and ran the next day. Ran the same tires for another couple of races.

White spirit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Wipe the tire down with mineral spirits. Keep it off the wheels and paint, use rubber gloves. It will remove the oil. Most of us vintage racers carry it along with us for such purposes. After my oil down at Road America, I cleaned the rear wheel with mineral spirits, plugged the oil cooler lines and ran the next day. Ran the same tires for another couple of races.

White spirit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quite a few years ago I accidentally sprayed a bunch of chain lube on a nearly new tire. I washed it off with kerosine and noticed how the solvent immediately, 2-5 seconds, got absorbed by the tire. This caused some concern so I contacted several major motorcycle tire manufacturers and described the experience. The ones who replied all said never put anything petroleum based on the tires. They said their companies go to great lengths to concoct petroleum based formulas for their tires and subjecting the tires to petroleum products could break the chemical bonds of the tire material. None of the tires reps could say for sure if it would render the tire dangerous but they all said they wouldn't recommend using the tire and to throw it away. So even though the tire was almost new, I tossed it.

Have you noticed that no automotive tire maker manufacturers or endorses any type of tire dressing, black, or shine? Again, the tire reps at the car shows me and my '57 Cadillac go to all say never put anything on your tire but mild soap and water.

I'm just passing on some advice from experts, not me. YMMV

·
Registered
360 Posts
I know how sensitive tires can be to solvents, oil etc. I wiped the bike and the tires down after I got it home and Sunday and there wasn't too much oil on the tires. I did the loop d loop oil line trick and went for a spin around town to try things out and everything seemed fine, though it was running hotter. Like Tom S. said - maybe if I loop 15' of the stuff around the bike you might get same effect but thats just not going to happen. Back to the tires - think I might go ride some twisty stuff later this week and see how they hold up. Hope they might wear-in a little bit. They're street tires. They have to be able to withstand some oil right? I'm sure they pick-up a fair amount anyway from just being ridden around town. I hear mixed things on the mineral sprits. It's an option but I'd rather not for the time being.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts