Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just did the oil change with oil screen and filter. This was a breeze, even with removing the Zard lower pipe. A couple recommendations:

I used MAF air sensor cleaner to clean the oil screen and the underside of bike (when the bike drains oil out you can clean it with this so you don't burn it on your bike) The MAF cleaner wont harm plastics and since the oil screen is, I used it.

I used a breaker bar for the oil temp plug. Worked great.

Use anti-seize on everything and torque wrench everything to 30ft lbs.

I used a 21mm deep socket and 14mm hex combo socket to get at oil screen, bought a combo set of the hex sockets from auto zone. I got a 10mm socket from auto zone. All told was 18 bucks.

I used channel locks to rip off the old filter. Hand tighten new one. Filled it up with motul. Runs smoother now.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Once i had all plugs out and oil stopped draining, i cut the engine on for 5 secobds. More oil came out. I drained it, and filled it up with motul. Runs smoother now.
Please tell me that last sentence didn't mean:
"I ran the engine for 5 sec with no oil in it, to drain the last bit of oil" ????

If so, that's perhaps the worst idea I've heard in a long time. You don't want to see the results of oil film failure / metal-to-metal contact on bearings....

Jeremy the Paranoid

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I have no idea if that would do any actual damage, but the procedure is definitely....uhm...unorthodox.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, i know. Prolly irresponsible to post that. I read it on one of the websites that saud ut draines the oil cooler. I didnt feel normal doing it but thw oil was nasty coming and i wantes it all out. Prolly a retard move
Ill delete it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, this is embarrassing. I thought ut was strange but i said f it. Hopefuly nothing wad famaged. I started it uo and shut it off instantly.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I know, I'm retarded. I read something online where someone did that to drain the oil cooler. Whatever, what done is done. I'll know at the next oil change if any damage was done. Anyway, the rest of the instructions are hopefully helpful to some.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Some people run the starter a few turns with the spark plugs out to get all dirty oil out. At least there's no load on parts as there is with a running motor. Mind you, I'm not endorsing this.

·
Registered
361 Posts
probably you saw someone say "turn the engine over" to get the oil out. What they meant was take the plugs out, put the bike in 6th gear, turn the wheel and it will turn the engine. "turn the engine over..." "...by hand".

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
^ Nope, it was regarding automobile oil changes and they used the starter motor.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damn, LOL, let me go man. This has been brutal! haha, anyway, it's just a bike and hopefully a few cranks didn't kill anything. I was thinking long and hard about it with my little brain, and I figured it would be not unlike starting the engine and the split second it takes to draw oil up from the bottom of the case. Anyway, the bike runs like a champ, the new voltage regulator helps, and the nichols oil breather seems to have given me an improvement as well. Thanks as always for the help. Now I just need to buy my own torque wrench so I don't have to borrow one. Any of you wiz's know of a good brand? I was going to get a CDI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts