Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think an impact would be better than a hammer drill. Be careful with either, both the drain plug and the cases strip easily. Most of the time they have been over tightened and once the break loose are fine.
If the drain plug strips, I'll just take it down the road and get my guy to weld a nut onto it, crank it off, and order a new one.

Already did that for the bottom skid plate bolt, so I already have to get 1 new bolt, may as well make it 2. :mad:

Why is nothing as easy as it should be?!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I had the dealer reset my change oil light the other day and I asked a question about the oil.

They changed it during the desmo service (about 3k miles ago). I didn't look at it through the sight glass until about a week after they changed it and I noticed it was a dark brown. It led me to believe that they may not have changed it after all. The dealer said that it is because the detergents in the oil get dirty fast because of all the contaminates they are removing. He said a regular oil wouldn't look as dirty as quickly, but that there was nothing to worry about.

Does that sound legit?

·
Registered
204 Posts
What you see in the sight glass means nothing. Desmo service includes oil and filter change. Not sure why you would even question this

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What you see in the sight glass means nothing. Desmo service includes oil and filter change. Not sure why you would even question this
Beacuse the oil looked pretty dark a week after the oil change.

....like old oil.
...like the oil looked when I took it in for the desmo service/oil change.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Beacuse the oil looked pretty dark a week after the oil change.

....like old oil.
...like the oil looked when I took it in for the desmo service/oil change.
The oil in the sight glass usually looks new to me after a change. At least for a while. Do you think your shop is shady ? Thankfully I have never had to question the work of the guys at my shop. I guess that could change but they have done great work for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The sealant you need is 3 Bond 1215. It’s expensive and comes in a giant tube but is what all the seals on modern Ducati are. Very few gaskets anymore. It will last a really long time without hardening up in the tube. I’ve had tube since Oct 2017. Yamabond found at your local Yamaha dealer is pretty much the same. I don’t recommend RTV. Any of the colors.

As for the oil drain I’ve never used the sealant only a new copper seal washer each time. Never had one leak. Torque to the proper setting with a quality and accurate torque wrench and you shouldn’t have an issue. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Registered
16 Posts
The sealant you need is 3 Bond 1215. It’s expensive and comes in a giant tube but is what all the seals on modern Ducati are. Very few gaskets anymore. It will last a really long time without hardening up in the tibe
$50

of course
I paid $40 on amazon for a 250g tube.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts