Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to change the oil on my 2015 1200S and the workshop manual calls for applying a sealant to the drain bolt and the cover that holds in the mesh filter. It doesn't specify what kind of sealant though.

Any idea what I should use?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A crush washer sealant or a liquid sealant?

Liquid.

Oddly enough, it says to apply a bead of it, and shows the drawing of a bead of sealant, then it shows a pic of what my friends kid would end up doing.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
8,754 Posts
Yes. Very close to the front there is a listing of the recommended stuff - grease 1, grease 2, sealant, etc., that they refer to throughout the manual.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The crush washer is made of copper: COPPER GASKET 12.2X18X1.5 MM. It crushes once and if used again without annealing, it is already hard and does not have any crush flex left in it so it is unable to deform to seal any gaps between the casing and the plug when torquing the plug. The right thing to do is either use a new crush ring every time you pull the drain plug (you think the dealers do this?) or simply clean the old crush washer and anneal it. Just heat the thing to cherry red and drop in water. You don't want the thing to be glowing brightly, just a dull, cherry red. I use my camping stove as I don't have a butane torch. Our bikes' hydraulic system washers are also made of copper and can also be reused after annealing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One more question:

After stripping the bottom bolt of the skid plate, I'm a little hesitant to remove the oil drain bolt, and the 4 bolts holding the mesh screen in without knowing exactly what type and size of bit to use on the bolts. Does anyone know?

The shop manual doesn't say. It seems that the skid plate alternates between allen bolts and star pattern. It's kind of hard to tell, and I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The shop manual doesn't say. It seems that the skid plate alternates between allen bolts and star pattern. It's kind of hard to tell, and I don't want to make the same mistake twice.
Torx? If there are differing heads on those bolts, they were replaced by a previous owner or shop. I'm pretty sure that Duc uses only allen head bolts on the skid plate.The same goes for the screen housing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The spare parts manual doesn't specify sizes except for the oil plug washer:
part #24: 72050338B SCREW 4 08/01/2015
part #48: 85250231A GASKET 4 08/01/2015
part #59: 89320062A PLUG, OIL DRAIN 1 08/01/2015
Part #49: 85250421A COPPER GASKET 12.2X18X1.5 MM 1 08/01/2015

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Torx? If there are differing heads on those bolts, they were replaced by a previous owner or shop. I'm pretty sure that Duc uses only allen head bolts on the skid plate.The same goes for the screen housing.
The 2 rubber mounted bolts on the left and right side of the skid plate are definitely torx.

The four bolts on the screen plate are definitely torx.

I think the oil drain plug is allen. 5.5 is too big, but i'm using a 5 and it's just not wanting to break free.

I'm starting to think this was done deliberately :cautious:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Drain plug should be 5mm Allen. If the Allen key is not going in all the way a light tap should do it. I find quite often the drain bolts are way over tightened. Recommended torque is 20NM equals 14lbs. I strongly suggest a torque wrench.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drain plug should be 5mm Allen. If the Allen key is not going in all the way a light tap should do it. I find quite often the drain bolts are way over tightened. Recommended torque is 20NM equals 14lbs. I strongly suggest a torque wrench.
I'm thinking if I use anything less than a hammer drill, I'm going to strip it :oops:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm thinking if I use anything less than a hammer drill, I'm going to strip it :oops:
I think an impact would be better than a hammer drill. Be careful with either, both the drain plug and the cases strip easily. Most of the time they have been over tightened and once the break loose are fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts