Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had the need to get under my 05'ST4s, but it is time for an oil change.

Anyone have a link to the procedure or is it just a simple matter?

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you go back to the "old" ducati.ms site. There is a goldmine of information to be found by searching the threads there.

Here is a link to the old site:
http://www.ducati.ms/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

To briefly answer your question about the oil change, it is a very simple procedure.

You don't need to remove the fairing - just the 2 screws at the very bottom of the fairing and the large screw on the side of the fairing (right side). This will give you enough wiggle room to access the filter, drain plug, "screen", and filler plug.

Be sure to get a new filter, crush washers (1 for the drain plug, 1 for the screen). (By the way, Pro Italia sells a reasonable priced filter wrench).

Be careful filling with new oil, I always seem to overfill mine with oil - in spite of being very careful.

Peter

·
Registered
231 Posts
How do you reset the service warning "wrench" symbol on the display after you change the oil yourself? Sorry if this is already somewhere here, but I really did search and found no responses.

·
7,733 Posts
AFAIK "Service Wrench" can only be reset by a dealer with a Mathesis tool.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks. Now begging your indulgence one more time, I'm changing the oil for the first time on my '05 ST3 (3000 miles) and don't have the service manual. The Yahoo ST board has apparently deleted some of their service procedures since the oil change one is not to be found.

Looking at the underside, there is a 10mm hex plug, most obviously the drain plug. But then there is a horizontal 14mm plug and directly under it, an 8mm plug. What are these for?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Bodhi said:
Thanks. Now begging your indulgence one more time, I'm changing the oil for the first time on my '05 ST3 (3000 miles) and don't have the service manual. The Yahoo ST board has apparently deleted some of their service procedures since the oil change one is not to be found.

Looking at the underside, there is a 10mm hex plug, most obviously the drain plug. But then there is a horizontal 14mm plug and directly under it, an 8mm plug. What are these for?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Nothing has been deleted from the Yahoo ST list. It's still there. Go here...

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/st2_owners/files/

...and look for the file called...

'STx oil change notes.rtf'

·
Registered
231 Posts
I must have glanced right past it. Thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So what is the 8mm plug under the 14mm screen plug? The STN site doesn't say.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Bodhi said:
So what is the 8mm plug under the 14mm screen plug? The STN site doesn't say.
Don't know but I recommend you don't touch it! It's not part of any oil change. You don't even need to check the screen behind the 14mm plug at every oil change either. It doesn't do any harm though, except that you'll need a new crush washer to refit the 14mm plug after you've removed it.

Also, don't bother using the old crush washers again. They cost pennies new. It's not worth taking any risks. If you use an old one and you get a leak, you'll probably have to drain the oil again to put on a new one!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I hope you don't mind my asking you these questions, it's like having a friend giving advice. Do you torque the plugs back on to spec or just hand tighten them. I've ordered hex bit sockets in 10 and 14mm but have a 10mm allen wrench and was wondering whether to go ahead and change the oil this fine weekend or wait for the special sockets I can use with my torque wrench.

Cheers, Rob

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bodhi said:
How do you reset the service warning "wrench" symbol on the display after you change the oil yourself? Sorry if this is already somewhere here, but I really did search and found no responses.
A Mathesis tool is not required. The TechnoResearch VDSTS software can reset it. If you find yourself wanting to perform most or all of your maintenance, I highly recommend you picking up a copy of this tool. ECU-specific versions are $199.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Hi, I'm pretty sure the 8mm bolt you're talking about is a plug to cork up the hole they needed to use to drill the oil galley hole. This is the hole where the oil travels, after it gets sucked up thru the screen (I think). The 8mm bolt should not be removed.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I meant to add:

The bolt is at 6:00, and the galley hole should be at 12:00.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Okay here is a photo of the underside of my '05 ST3. Without the service manual this is my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong - it's my first Ducati): 1 is the oil drain plug, 2 is the screen plug, and 3 is the mystery plug.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes, you are right. Don't even bother with plug #3. Drain the oil, then take out #2. You will need the same hex-head to remove the oil screen. It screws out and is usually in there pretty tight.

Be sure you seat your heads into the plugs with a little tap or two. Don't want to strip those out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's been nearly a year since my last confession (of lack of Ducati maintenance expertise). So I took the bike to the dealer (Matison Motorsports in Raleigh) for the 6k service. I'm not skilled enough to check valve clearances and so forth. I had them change the oil and filter while there. I figure I can do that myself at the 3k intervals. So I'm commuting home from work yesterday (up to 6600 miles) and the red oil pressure light comes on just as I'm pulling into my subdivision. After I get in the garage I check the sightglass and see it is up over the top. A couple weeks ago it was nearly to the top. Does oil expand in volume over time in the crankcase? Also, I was going to let a little out of the drainplug to see if that would remedy the situation and felt the oil coming out was black and kind of dirty looking (compared to that nice golden color of new oil). Does oil typically get dark and nasty looking after only 500-600 miles? I presume if the answer to that one is yes, the follow-up is that is still has protection for another 4-5k miles or so (full synth). I decided to change the oil anyway with fresh stuff. But I am wondering if perhaps the dealer didn't change the oil (BTW, I changed it myself at 3k, so it is only about 3600 miles since I know I personally changed it. So how fast does synthetic go from golden to black and yucky?

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
i don't think oil should look yucky after 500-600 miles. mine has been in there for over 1000 miles and still looks "not yucky". after a recent incident with my "ex" dealer, it would not surprise me at all if they skipped the oil change.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts