Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought my first Ducati, a 2012 Monster 796 ABS that has full termignoni exhaust, along with the DP ecu and air filter. I was so happy to find a used Monster with the full termi's, but now I've ran into a problem.

The oil drain plug is literally right above the exhaust pipe. I could crack it with a ball end allen, but it looks like it would just hit the exhaust pipe before it I could get it all the way out. Will i just need to take off the lower exhaust every time i change the oil? I know there are 2 other hex plugs on the bottom, and I found a video on youtube where the guy changed his oil using one (right side, next to the oil filter), and then I found a post in a Scrambler forum where they were saying you can drain it using the other one (left side).

Thanks in advance for the help! :smile2:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
that's an older one, 796 plug takes a 5mm hex, but is in the same place in the lh half of the cases just off the join. sounds like you're trying to remove the right one. doesn't surprise me that you need to pull the header. that's life.

you could remove the oil pick up screen and drain it out that way. i use the vacuum brake bleeder to suck the remaining oil out of the sump through that hole. or lean it over to the right so it's the low point.

or hit shit out of the header with a fbh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses! I’m 100% sure I’ve located the drain plug, I can see the copper washer and it’s on the left side right next to the seam.

But instead of taking the header off, would I be able to drain the oil from one of the 2 other hex bolts on the bottom of the engine? I want to make sure I get all the oil out of it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Im not sure about the other hex nuts but be very careful if you use a ball end from an angle on the drain plug. Hard experience has taught me that alot of Ducati fasteners are one step above butter on the hardness scale.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
But instead of taking the header off, would I be able to drain the oil from one of the 2 other hex bolts on the bottom of the engine? I want to make sure I get all the oil out of it.
i would only remove the drain plug or the oil screen cap. not sure what others yo're talking about, but some are loctited in and not meant to be removed. photo would help.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i would only remove the drain plug or the oil screen cap. not sure what others yo're talking about, but some are loctited in and not meant to be removed. photo would help.

I wouldn’t remove the others. Good way to pull some threads out of the cases. Loosening the header is super simple to gain all the access you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Hi,

the drain plug is this one, picture of the workshop manual :)

DO NOT use those torque figures for the drain plug!

That is a misprint in the manual, if you look in the torque table at the front of the manual the correct figures are:

Oil drain plug with magnet
M12x1.5 20Nm Min 18Nm Max 22Nm

Hope that saves someone some trouble....

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
the stuff waystren posted is for the earlier models with the larger plug.
OK, didn't see that specified - but the fact remains there is a misprint in the later model manuals as I pointed out.
Case in point - see attached images from the M1100Evo service manual.

In fact this isn't the first time I've seen errors like this in Ducati service manuals, seems the torque tables are more reliable than the torque figures quoted in some of the maintenance sections.
be aware and always double check - it's cheaper than repairing busted threads or worse - crankcases! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I’m going to have to take off the exhaust to change my oil for now. I’ll do some more research regarding those other two plugs and maybe will try them out next time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do not use a ball end, if it breaks off ( happened to me on my 796 ) use a shortened Allen key or drop the front header. Three bolts. Nothing hard

·
Registered
157 Posts
That's funny... I have a DP clutch cover (aquarium cover) and it makes the filler almost inaccessible.

I replaced my drain plug with an aftermarket plug with a bolt face on it... so I don't need a hex/Allen key to take it out. It does stick down a bit... which might cause problems even more with your Termi pipe... dunno.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do not use a ball end, if it breaks off ( happened to me on my 796 ) use a shortened Allen key or drop the front header. Three bolts. Nothing hard
Thanks for the advice! I ended up doing it this weekend, and after I unbolted the header, I figured out I had to take off the whole system in order to remove the header. So I bolted it back up and drained using the bolt under the mesh filter. But I'm stupid, and if I saw your post first, I totally could have just done what you suggested. I will do that next time though, so thank you for the tip!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts