Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ST-3 has the dealer recommended BG Semi Synthetic oil in it after the 600 mi. dealer service. Any recommendations on a safe change interval on this stuff? I'm coming up on 3,000 miles and ready to change it, but thought I would ask.
Thanks, Jack.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
oldguy said:
My ST-3 has the dealer recommended BG Semi Synthetic oil in it after the 600 mi. dealer service. Any recommendations on a safe change interval on this stuff? I'm coming up on 3,000 miles and ready to change it, but thought I would ask.
Thanks, Jack.
Don't know about that particular oil, but I use fully synthetic Mobil-1 15w-50 oil and I change it every 3,000 miles. I have waited as long as 5,000 with no ill effect (oil was pretty thick when I changed it though!).

I've been told that if you tour a lot, i.e. you take lots of 300+ mile trips, the oil interval can be extended a little. I believe it's because oil breaks down more with frequent short, stop'n'start trips than it does on a long haul. That's why I extended one of my change intervals to 5,000 miles (I had put in a 3,000 miles tour in 8 days before the change).

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 05 ST3 is due for services about every 10,000 km. I change the oil every 5000km. I use the Shell fully syntheitc oil that Ducati recommend, but it is pricey. Still, whats $80 (AUD) on oil for a $20K bike???

Doc

·
Registered
523 Posts
It's hard to find the Shell oil in the US. I found Mobil MX4T full synthetic is available at parts places such as AutoZone. It's about $8.00/quart. When I bought the bike, I had a long discussion with the dealer about what oil would be acceptable, since I tend to do most oil changes myself. The dealer didn't have a full synthetic in the shop, but they agreed that any good motorcycle specific synthetic would be OK. Also, there are conflicting stories regarding the use of automotive synthetic in the wet clutch Ducs. YMMV.
Bill 'ducsbill' W.
'05 ST3

·
Registered
392 Posts
My ST4s will see the dealer for service every 6K miles and I have them change it then. In between I change it myself at 2K mile intervals. Perhaps a bit of overkill but also cheap insurance. I also use full synthetic.

·
Registered
208 Posts
DucatiST2Rider said:
I use Motul 5100 15/50 every 3000 to 4000
diddo!!! same here but change 2000 miles....35kmiles no problems at all

·
Registered
187 Posts
Every 2k? Wow, that's pretty frequent. Between 3 and 4k here and I think I overkill it. Mobil 1 15W-50. Modern synthetic oils are soooo good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
In 35k miles all I have done to the bike is 1 clutch, 1 slave 1 chain ,front and rear sprockets, several sets of tires, and lots of fun!!! Oil and maintenance is cheap. I read here of all the problems, and if a person takes care of their bike it will last, just some common sense. I ride the bike hard, and change the oil often simple as that

Allen

·
Registered
623 Posts
Dino oil is good for 5,000 miles and syn is good for 10,000 miles. So if you use syn change it with your 6,000 mile service. If you are using dino do another change in between. The BMW riders have been following that rule for years without problems. I guess if you ride less than 6,000 miles a year an annual oil change would be in order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oil change Intervals

For you Mobil 1 users, I assume you are riding dry clutch bikes? My understanding is with the Wet Clutch set up you do need to go Moto specific on the oil - with syn being the choice over dino. This was the case on the Beemers, I assume the same here.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dna said:
For you Mobil 1 users, I assume you are riding dry clutch bikes? My understanding is with the Wet Clutch set up you do need to go Moto specific on the oil - with syn being the choice over dino. This was the case on the Beemers, I assume the same here.
You assume correctly, in my case: I have a dry clutch. If you have a wet clutch, the thing you don't want in your oil is friction modifiers. You can tell if an oil has friction modifiers (in the USA, anyway) by looking at the little round emblem on the container. You don't want to see the words "energy conserving" anywhere. Friction modifiers apparently have the tendancy to cause a oil-bathed clutch to slip. When I had a wet clutch motorcycle, I ran Shell Rotella T full synthetic. Rotella T does not have friction modifiers and it is not motorcycle-specific.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oil Change Interval

Sperho - thanks for the info, that helps clarify the story. I am reluctant to spend the extra $'s on moto oil, as the up charge for the label is excruciating. Moving from the Beemer to the Duc, I realized that I would need to look around for an alternative - this helps in my quest.

·
Registered
623 Posts
oldguy said:
Mark, what is Dino oil? I'm using semi-syn. Can I safely go over 3K on an oil change.
Jack.
Dino is a not quite accurate nickname for non-synthetic. Actually almost all synthetics possess some out of the earth oil. Not sure about semi-synthetic.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dna said:
Sperho - thanks for the info, that helps clarify the story. I am reluctant to spend the extra $'s on moto oil, as the up charge for the label is excruciating. Moving from the Beemer to the Duc, I realized that I would need to look around for an alternative - this helps in my quest.
You're welcome. By the way, 2004 was the last year that Ducati STs were fitted with a dry clutch. I'm just pointing that out in case you see conflicting information out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts