Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which bolt is the one to drain the oil??? there is a smaller allen bolt right next to the filter than there is a larger one about 3-4 inches away.

·
Super Moderator
8,174 Posts
The oildrain plug is right UNDER the engine. It´s a 12mm allenhead (i believe) and rather large, about 1" in diameter

For all that is holy, do NOT use the small allen next to the oilfilter! You´ll never get it to seal properly

//amullo

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whhoaa thanks for the tip... I changed the oil successfully but i didnt get your warnings till after and luckily i opted to leave the bolt alone... I also flushed all brake and clutch fluid, and radiator luckily, Looks like in ride to ride for the first time :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haynes manual

get a haynes manual and this will help you out ebay it for like 14 bucks

·
Registered
198 Posts
erniespts14, I just did a search on the old site and found a great step by step instruction on how to change the oil on a SBK and generac. It is Bucklew and also has tourge values on all that you have asked. It also has photos. I did this search because my 748 is coming up on an oil change in the very near future. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
416 Posts
amullo said:
The oildrain plug is right UNDER the engine. It´s a 12mm allenhead (i believe) and rather large, about 1" in diameter

For all that is holy, do NOT use the small allen next to the oilfilter! You´ll never get it to seal properly

//amullo
I am such an idiot!!!

Instead of removing the oil drain bolt from the crankcase, I removed the bolt right underneath the oil mesh screen to drain the oil.

No wonder all the oil didn't come out.

Now I read that, this will be a problem? I rode the bike and checked the bolt again. Still on tight and no leaks. Should I worry?

·
Super Moderator
8,174 Posts
stan23 said:
Should I worry?
Unfortunatly.. Yes...

The small bolt just under the oilmesh is there to plug a hole drilled for cutting the oillines in the block. Several people have tried to loosen it and then it was a real PITA to get it to seal.

Check it after a long, hard and warm ride. If it´s still sealed, then you dodged one.

//amullo

·
Registered
416 Posts
amullo said:
Unfortunatly.. Yes...

The small bolt just under the oilmesh is there to plug a hole drilled for cutting the oillines in the block. Several people have tried to loosen it and then it was a real PITA to get it to seal.

Check it after a long, hard and warm ride. If it´s still sealed, then you dodged one.

//amullo
Double damn... What if it doesn't seal no more? Whats the next course of action? New washer? Loctite the bastard?

Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
The first time I did an oil change on my Duc I took it out. I played with it for awhile trying to figure out why Ducati put it in there. I gave up on trying to figure out why it was there.
NOW I KNOW... :)

I put it back in and have not had any problems with leaks. I guess I was lucky.... wait, I am never lucky.... who knows....

·
Super Moderator
8,174 Posts
I believe the hex is a 10mm for the oilmesh. If you have a bike newer then -01 then it´s a 15mm bolt.

The small bolt UNDER the oilmesh.. well.. I´ve heard people using permanent loctite and getting a good seal with that, together with a new crush-washer.

Since you´ve put it back.. Leave it and see. If it starts sweating or dripping, then go with a crush-washer and loctite. Just make sure to clean the threads with brakecleen or some other de-greaser first.

//amullo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts