Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else round out the hex on the oil screen cover bolts? I did....:mad:
Yes... all 4 of them. With a good condition correct size wrench.
For those who have successfully R&R this screen, did the bolts have loctite on them, or if I drill off the heads and release the tension on the bolts will I be able to turn them out easily? Thanks for any advice

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Have you tried taking a tad bit larger torx socket and tapping it into the rounded out allen bolt? This works like and easy out and saves you the trouble of having to drill the bolts and actually using an easy out. I've never had an issue with mine. If they are really in there, try using an impact driver to get them to release. If you don't have one, a decent one can be purchased from Harbor Freight for not much expense. Good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think from memory they have lock tight, use a small chisel and get into the side of them at an angle in order to loosen them, if this fails then drill them, replace them with 5mm hex size screws, think they are 6mm thread size,this way they will be easy to remove next time,also a bit of heat from a heat gun may help to let the lock tight let go. Good luck.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah, I did the oil screen change recently but I did the change after the bike was good and hot, so that probably helped.

A I recall there was some of the typical red loctite on each bolt from the factory. Ducati must have found a fire sale on that stuff because it's everywhere :eek:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Everyone

I beat a T30 Torx into the hex with a 4 lb hammer, pulled it out and heated the screw with my heatgun on max, then put the Torx back in and it worked. Yay:D
Yes the bolts were made of a core of ricotta cheese covered with red loctite.
To anyone who hasn't done this service, I highly recommend the heat application before you even try to get the screws out.
Of course when I got the screen out it was spotless.......
Thanks again for everyones' advice

·
Registered
206 Posts
I beat a T30 Torx into the hex with a 4 lb hammer, pulled it out and heated the screw with my heatgun on max, then put the Torx back in and it worked. Yay:D
Yes the bolts were made of a core of ricotta cheese covered with red loctite.
To anyone who hasn't done this service, I highly recommend the heat application before you even try to get the screws out.
Of course when I got the screen out it was spotless.......
Thanks again for everyones' advice
I've only done 7,500km on my bike so far but I am a bit of a stickler when it comes to changing oil.
I had the first service done at 1000km and oil dropped and I did it myself at 6,000km oil and filter.
I looked at that oil screen and completely ignored it.
Personally changing oil at half intervals is more than enough.
The K&N filters have a magnet inside, there fore me I'm not touching it, let the shop do it, while under warrenty.

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
with the correct size Hex screwdriver bit installed give it a wack with a hammer (yeah you don't have much swing room)
Don't apply slowly increasing pressure , give them a good "too much twist pressure " if it is going to strip it will strip.
Not much room under there to use the cheapy impact driver and hammer...
What did the auto industry do before locktight??? I use it sparingly if at all...I am a fan of never seize...
Torx trick works , but you shouldn't have to...
Big buck bikes here you think they would use better quality fasteners, BUT then some "Gorilla Mechanics" would wreck the female threads , then you are in more trouble....

Impossible just takes a little longer....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts