Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my oil for the first time with this bike, man what a hassle, how much are they meant to take?

I filled to the reccomended level, waited some time, thought all was well, & went for a ride.
Come home, check oil window, and I am over full, so I drain out a few ml & will see tomorrow where we are at.

What is the correct amount?
I am putting in 3 litres roughly, but my dealer wanted to charge me 4 litres plus the filter, so I am trying to establish whats right, so its easier & more accurate next change.

Went to the annual Thunder Rally at Sheba Dams via Nundle, today, paid $25 as a donation to the Spinal Unit, had a look around, & rode home.
I pity you poor fools, camping up there at this time of year, you need to move this date forward to summer time to attract more campers.

For a Ducati rally it was very light on Ducatis, but apparently they were coming.

My opinion only, but first impressions, gave me this opinion.

Hope I bought the winning raffle tickets. & hope the weather is kind to you all.

Cheers,

Craig

·
Registered
209 Posts
hi craig
i never measured mine on the st2. i just fill it to the max line or a little over and start the bike to fill the filter. then add till about 1/2 way between add and max. with my 1996 dr650 if you filled to the max you could start an oil leak at the cylinder base gasket. suzuki later changed the gasket from paper to metal to fix the problem. i suspect the change in free volume can make the internal crankcase pressure jump. my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
My ST2 seems to take just over 3 qts. I always buy a gallon of oil for a change.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
The procedure I use in all my Ducs is to pull the drain plug, pull and check the screen, pull the filter, drain the oil cooler, reinstall everything and re-fill with 3.5 quarts. I use the little graduated marks on the side of the oil bottle, works just fine. Always just a little below the full line on the sight glass.

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
The procedure I use in all my Ducs is to pull the drain plug, pull and check the screen, pull the filter, drain the oil cooler, reinstall everything and re-fill with 3.5 quarts. I use the little graduated marks on the side of the oil bottle, works just fine. Always just a little below the full line on the sight glass.
So you loosen or remove your cooler lines at each oil change? Or is there a cooler drain plug I didn't notice?

·
Registered
523 Posts
ST3S -
Some folks also recommend filling the new filter about 1/2 to 2/3rds full before installing.
Bill W.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts