Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil breather is constantly misting oil on my rear cylinder and I am getting tired of cleaning it up. So I was looking in to coring out the breather and putting the reed valve possibly in the air box. But I have recently read that, that reed valve can't be used in the box as it wont mount. So I want to know what if I were to use a pcv valve as it is a one way breather as well, and mount it in-line going into the air box? Also how do I remove the stock breather as I do not have a tool for it and do not want to destroy it.

I am trying to do this on the cheap and do not want to buy an aftermarket breather.
any help would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Where is the breather leaking from?

The corse bikes have the reed valve in the airbox itself, its a common modification. On the 748, it actually goes on a hose that rests inside the airbox.

IDK how changing the location of the reed valve would actually make it leak less. If its leaking, it will need to be fixed no matter what.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It appears to be leaking from the little holes near the base and maybe a little from the the top where it connects to the hose. My bike is a 98 and I do believe it has the old style breather with the aluminum band not the all plastic one. I have also read the the corse reed is like 100.00 dollars i have not looked it up though.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
How full is the crank case? If the crank case has too much oil in it I have seen leaking. Too much as in line with or even with the top mark on the sight glass.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
From sites that I have looked up it appears that both models do carry the same size oil breather.
I have a relatively new red anodized STM....little nicks at the neck which are covered up by the rubber breather tube. And a small nick at the bottom from lossening it. My present STM breather never leaked, but misted from the neck and tube. I really cranked down on the clamp and that resolved that....but you're willing to try this one. Give me your addy and I'll send it to you.
Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.