Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil breather is constantly misting oil on my rear cylinder and I am getting tired of cleaning it up. So I was looking in to coring out the breather and putting the reed valve possibly in the air box. But I have recently read that, that reed valve can't be used in the box as it wont mount. So I want to know what if I were to use a pcv valve as it is a one way breather as well, and mount it in-line going into the air box? Also how do I remove the stock breather as I do not have a tool for it and do not want to destroy it.

I am trying to do this on the cheap and do not want to buy an aftermarket breather.
any help would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
We have the Corse airbox reed valves in stock so you can use an STM, Yoyodyne engine breather and just remove the reeds from the inside.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It appears to be leaking from the little holes near the base and maybe a little from the the top where it connects to the hose. My bike is a 98 and I do believe it has the old style breather with the aluminum band not the all plastic one. I have also read the the corse reed is like 100.00 dollars i have not looked it up though.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
How full is the crank case? If the crank case has too much oil in it I have seen leaking. Too much as in line with or even with the top mark on the sight glass.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I never did like trying to figure out where the leaks were coming from on the older style breather. I bought this breather from one of our site sponsors. No more leaks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just bought the STM breather and installing tonight. I was having the same issue. I will report back soon

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Would an STM breather that I bought for my 999 work in his 748? It has CF reed valves. It's anodized red. Anybody know?
Jeff

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
From sites that I have looked up it appears that both models do carry the same size oil breather.
I have a relatively new red anodized STM....little nicks at the neck which are covered up by the rubber breather tube. And a small nick at the bottom from lossening it. My present STM breather never leaked, but misted from the neck and tube. I really cranked down on the clamp and that resolved that....but you're willing to try this one. Give me your addy and I'll send it to you.
Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts