Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there

It's time to be a bit gentler with the old superlight so I just bought a pretty clean 98 900ss that is going to become my track bike. It has its first shake down track day this saturday. All is good with the bike except it has a K and N filter on the oil breather. This makes me a little bit uncomfortable on a bike that I am new to and about to track. Although I dont think the idea is terrible (filter) I'd like to place the filter under the seat (for now) so the plan is to just attach some hose to the breather, route to under seat and attch filter.

Does any body know the hose size? Cheers...

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I don’t know the hose size but on mine I rerouted the stock hose upward toward the seat with a K&N and zip tied it to the right side of the frame. It would take a substantial wheelie to puke any oil. It hasn’t happened yet.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
3/4"hose from the auto parts store is what we use be sure to run it into a catch tank and allow the tank to be vented. You can use a aluminum bottle fitted with a PCV fitting also from the auto parts store. Make sure the oil captured in the bottle can gravity feed back through the breather.

We also have had undertail catch/breather boxes from carbon fiber, fiberglass and aluminum so something can be fabricated. If you need a picture of examples I can take some later this week as I have a couple bikes in the shop.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies. Just to get through the track day on sat i have run it to the storage area under seat... is there any negatives to doing it this way?

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
If you have blowby from poor piston seal and hold the bike at high enough RPM's you will pump oil out of the hose and onto your rear tire. This plus the loss of oil is not a good plan. At least run it into a catch bottle I have seen engine failures put a liter or two out that hose pretty quickly with the rider not knowing until too late. For a track bike I would consider it a necessary safety item.

Also keep in mind factory race bikes have retailed breather boxes for decades they do not just use them for catch bottles so it is a very 1970's era plan to run the tube out the back.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish the previous owner just left it stock or at least still had the original parts supplied with bike....

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Not sure on your end of the world but the missing parts should be dirt cheap and available.

58510082B = 142.88 usd new
87610461B = 30.84 usd new

The box and one hose is all over ebay for about $25.00 usd hoses might be bad used but the box should be fine used.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Locating and purchasing isn’t the issue, I’ll definitely be doing that or coming up with the best solution that doesn’t make me (or anyone else!) nervous. it’s just timing really. Picked up the bike this week, Thursday now and shake down track day on sat. For now I purchased a new filter and have run a hose up to the storage area under the seat. If I get the chance I’ll see if I can at least find a suitable catchment bottle to fit before filter. Cheers

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If it still has the airbox, run the hose into that with the K&N filter on the end. Most racing organizations require a catch bottle or the breather routed to the airbox/ air inlet area. The idea behind that is if it starts barfing lots of oil it will at the very least start smoking/possibly misfire before covering the track surface and cause a crash. Extended operation at high revs will push oil from the breather just from the big pistons pumping inside the crankcase regardless of the amount of blowby.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts