Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,655 Posts
Ops, I changed the oil in my Road King a few weeks ago, I was impatient and couldn't wait to have Amsoil shipped in so I picked up 3 qts of Mobil 1 V Twin syn at Rielys. Had a little Mobil 1 left over from the last change and also a qt of Amsoil from the last time I changed the oil in the Duc. Both were 20/50.

I must have misread something because I put in 3 qts and was short as expected. Put in the left over Mobil 1 and was still short by a long shot. Some time ago I recall asking the Harley parts guy if it was OK to mix the same viscosity and he said no problem. Same response from another source so I used the remaining Amsoil to fill the crankcase. I must have put in close to a quart. That was about 800 miles ago.

No obvious problems and the motor (newer remanufactured Harley motor) still sounds like a sewing machine. However while on a ride last week I intentionally went WOT so a riding buddy could here the sound of my pipes as I passed him. He was researching exhausts at the time. I must have taken it close to the limiter by the sound of it, I didn't check the tach to see what rpm I was at, but after I closed the throttle down to normal speed the motor apparently was sounding different. I say apparently because it might have been in my paranoid head. I heard clacking and the sound of chain noise, almost like something inside got starved of oil. Soon after the noise went away. Don't know if what happened was normal or not, but it scared me enough not to WOT until I either learn more or change the oil with one brand only and then go WOT again and see what happens.

Personally I don't think mixing a little here and there is a big deal and I think as long as the viscocity is close within manufacturers recommended range, its OK. I don't fall for the oil companies propaganda, for all I know one brand oil may be just a private label of another brand but yet their marketing claims are totally different. I don't believe a word they say that its imperative we dig holes in National Parks and wildlife refuges. I also believe for years oil companies have have joined together to discourage through their powerful lobbists to kill any oil energy options. While our energy future is being dictated by the oil companies, countries like China are moving at light speed towards alternative energy sources. They are creating many jobs and doing what we used to do here when it came to innovations. Its a new path for China and they will be the ones first to the finish line if we continue to believe the BS from the oil companies. Our congressmen that receive large re-election donations from the oil industry talk their talk, not ours. It is a corrupt state of affairs, as Scott indicated earlier we are pushed here and there by fear. The influence large corporations have over our representatives cannot be stopped without campaign finance reform. Another bill was advanced in this direction but almost all if not all members of one party voted against it.

Sorry for the tangent, started off with a statement about oil company propaganda and I got carried away.

Lastly, when I mixed in that quart of Amsoil 20/50 it sure seemed "thinner" than the Mobil 1 oil. Probably me just imagining things on that one. Speaking of Amsoil, it is my personal favorite for crankcase oil, I use Redline in the other two holes. No reason except shockproof tranny oil by redline is a different color, lets me know where its coming from if a leak starts. Besides, the tranny oil has a good reputation.

Harley people have to be more concerned about over heating than bikes that are water cooled. This is one reason why many use Amsoil, it keeps their engines running cooler. There are other reasons obviously. Amsoil's reputation is at the highest level compared to other oil brands at two Harley sites I visit since buying the Road King a few months ago. There are numerous positive comments made by people who use Amsoil, not only from average riders but also from real knowledgeble owners and technicians.

By general concensus, I believe Amsoil is the best motorcycle engine oil on the market today. At least from what I have gleaned from the Harley sites. I knew it was a excellent oil before, now I'm convinced its the top dog.

Hey Jon, if you're reading this, send me out eight quarts of Amsoil 20/50 syn OK? PM me the invoice, etc.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
why?

Since your using Redline oil already, and its the heat protection your after, why not use the Redline motor oil for the engine too? its base oil is a ester based group V (POE) vs group IV (PAO) of Amsoil & Mobil1. The ester based group V oils are supposed to handle the higher heats better, but they do cost more to purchase.

The only downside to the Redline oil (other than the cost) is that its a MB rated oil, because it contains a small amount of molly (good for engines) in the additive package, and some wet clutches might not like it, but since the Harley clutch is separate that is not an issue, I now use Redline 20w50 motorcycle oil in my air cooled Ducati engine because I have a dry clutch, and I also wanted the best protection I could get against the high heat an air cooled can get especially at the track. Aloha Alex

·
Premium Member
8,655 Posts
Since your using Redline oil already, and its the heat protection your after, why not use the Redline motor oil for the engine too? its base oil is a ester based group V (POE) vs group IV (PAO) of Amsoil & Mobil1. The ester based group V oils are supposed to handle the higher heats better, but they do cost more to purchase.

The only downside to the Redline oil (other than the cost) is that its a MB rated oil, because it contains a small amount of molly (good for engines) in the additive package, and some wet clutches might not like it, but since the Harley clutch is separate that is not an issue, I now use Redline 20w50 motorcycle oil in my air cooled Ducati engine because I have a dry clutch, and I also wanted the best protection I could get against the high heat an air cooled can get especially at the track. Aloha Alex
You never know, I might consider Red Line at some future date in the Harley because the oil experience with that bike is new to me. I'm currently running Red Line 70/80w in the primary, so its two out of three holes with Red Line. However, I've heard so many positive things about Amsoil in the Harley sites it won me over. I'm not worried as much what I run in the 999R because I put so few miles on it. The Harley, being air cooled and with a tendency to get really hot needs all the good oil help it can get.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Go to the Redline site, see tech, the Harley is one of the bikes they had in mind when they developed the 20w50 motorcycle oil. Aloha Alex

101 - 104 of 104 Posts