Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Again: The AMSOIL "Rep" is not an employee of AMSOIL and CANNOT tell you it is OK to blend these oils.... AMSOIL SAYS NO !

You will have NO WARRANTY in the case of a failure and the "Rep" will not cough up the money.

If I knew his name, I would report him to AMSOIL.

It is not as simple as blending two different Grades of oil...

Why not just run the RD 50 15W-50 ?

Too much Backyard Engineeering going on.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
(the real question)

Is there a warranty through Amsoil if you were using their oil and had a engine failure? thanks Alex

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
What year did this happen.

Which oil were you using, by Product Code.

What type of fuel were you using.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

For me it happened end last year

The bike has aprox 10,000 mi

I was using Amsoil (MCF) 10w-40 since new

I use Shell or 76 SUPER! :D (91)

Engine rebuild was done at dealer

Thanks Alex

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
The checK is ON ITS WAY!!!

NO WAIT SORRY !!! You spelled Premium wrong..Warrantee VOID!!

Boy wouldn"t it be all Sunshune and Rainbows it they cut you a check for Promotional purposes...

I'm looking out for that Scotsman to assault my backside While shouting at me THINK WITH YOUR DIPSTICK JIMMY....

Oil Cimpanys will not bend the truth in any way shape or form .....

NITROGEN ENRICHED GAS for example...% of nitrogen in air???? a lot right...

I call BS...

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The checK is ON ITS WAY!!!

NO WAIT SORRY !!! You spelled Premium wrong..Warrantee VOID!!

Boy wouldn"t it be all Sunshune and Rainbows it they cut you a check for Promotional purposes...

I'm looking out for that Scotsman to assault my backside While shouting at me THINK WITH YOUR DIPSTICK JIMMY....

Oil Cimpanys will not bend the truth in any way shape or form .....

NITROGEN ENRICHED GAS for example...% of nitrogen in air???? a lot right...

I call BS...
NO, NO! your RONGS! :eek: Amsoil is a GREAT company, and if they say they will warrantee my motor, they will! you'll see....:D I'm so HAPPY now! :) Aloha Alex

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Track or Street?

For me it happened end last year

The bike has aprox 10,000 mi

I was using Amsoil (MCF) 10w-40 since new

I use Shell or 76 SUPER! :D (91)

Engine rebuild was done at dealer

Thanks Alex
Was it your daily ride or track bike? I just switched to MCF 10W40 & this thread just made me think again.

I have a Sportclassic that I commute on, 14 miles each way. Ride most of the year*. (No Snow, No torrential Rain, Temp above freezing.*)

My oil temp does not get to 200 degree F in Winter & not above 235 Deg F Summer. I alway thought temperature kills oil, so since I am not cooking the oil and I am doing the worst type of riding (short distance); I wanted the 10W 40 to flow quicker sooner.

I did my own "Backyard Engineering" and dipped to old Hex Nuts I cleaned-up and Dipped in Amsoil and one in BMW 20W50. The amsoil did stay rust-free longer, sitting top shelf of my garage. So, if I could reproduce one of the "White Paper" tests myself, all the others held some weight, in my eyes.

Now just figures I read this thread after adding Amsoil.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You are fine.

Your bike calls for 10W-40 and 235 oil temp is nothing for AMSOIL. My Touring bike has seen oil temps of 275 plus and the oil analysis, with over 2 times the recommended drain interval, came back that the oil was still good.

When something goes wrong, the blame goes to the easiest thing. An engine will not suddenly blow up from the wrong oil unless it is not the proper Spec. or some outside force acted on it to cause it to break down.

If a mechanic tells you such, that is all he is, a mechanic. A good Tech would not say such a thing.

Be Happy, Enjoy your bike, don't overthink your choice due to a couple people.

I have been in business since 1972 and have seen and heard these statements in the past.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have run Mobil 1 4T in both my 998-road and 999R-track.

Both bikes dont like shifting smoothly with Mobil 1 4T.

Tried AMSOIL in my 998, BIG difference in smooth shifting!!!!
Weird part is the more Kilometers I put on the oil the better it got!!!

Bizarre!!

Anyhow, cant seem to be able to buy any AMSOIL in West Australia anymore so will be trying out TOTAL Grand Prix next.....

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Was it your daily ride or track bike? I just switched to MCF 10W40 & this thread just made me think again.

I have a Sportclassic that I commute on, 14 miles each way. Ride most of the year*. (No Snow, No torrential Rain, Temp above freezing.*)

My oil temp does not get to 200 degree F in Winter & not above 235 Deg F Summer. I alway thought temperature kills oil, so since I am not cooking the oil and I am doing the worst type of riding (short distance); I wanted the 10W 40 to flow quicker sooner.

I did my own "Backyard Engineering" and dipped to old Hex Nuts I cleaned-up and Dipped in Amsoil and one in BMW 20W50. The amsoil did stay rust-free longer, sitting top shelf of my garage. So, if I could reproduce one of the "White Paper" tests myself, all the others held some weight, in my eyes.

Now just figures I read this thread after adding Amsoil.
Mostly all street & canyon riding, with about 5 track days, I changed my oil before every track-day, AND at every 2,500mi. If you have ride hard or have a modded motor, maybe you should use a XXw50. Most of all the high performance shops will tell you to do this. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I had a talk with Redline oils today, and asked them about the oil blending, they told there was NO problems with blending their oils if one wanted a different viscosity, as long as they were the same type of oils, such as their motorcycle oils. Aloha Alex

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Smooth as Guiness, not as thick.

Tried AMSOIL in my 998, BIG difference in smooth shifting!!!!
I thought the smoother shifting was just in my head. Definitly think it does shift smoother. But, I also am finding the "tapping" of the motors cam/valve to be louder.

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
I think there is a placebo effect when changing oil...
You think it should be better just cause you did it..
just saying...
I wonder if it would have shifted smoother if you just changed the oil and it would have been smoother no matter what good quality brand you used???

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
Oil Companys don't SAY NO..
They will SAY Yes- BUT....

Remember all their BS reasons for the price fluctuations...

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Did I mention I flush/blead the clutch?

I think there is a placebo effect when changing oil...
You think it should be better just cause you did it..
just saying...
I wonder if it would have shifted smoother if you just changed the oil and it would have been smoother no matter what good quality brand you used???
True.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does Rd 50 oil have NO detergents for racing which is no good for a bike.NS Greater wear number, Can we get a direct answer to which grade Larry Pegram use. on his 1198 MCV OR MCF.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Probably better for me to just stay out of this discussion, but it seems pretty interesting.

I'll lend that when considering oil weight, you need to consider what in the polymer industry (which, I guess, is the oil industry as well) is known as molecular weight distribution. For 'example' you may have a 10W40 that is actually:
90% 10w40
5% 5w40
3% 15w50
2% 20w40
But it averages out to 10w40. Again the distribution is just for example. In synthetics, the variation is much much smaller, which is the main selling point. However, when you mix oils, such as 10w40 and 20w40, it may come out to 15w40, but it's really just two different oils, it would be better to call it 10/20w40 as half the time it's 10, half the time it's 20! Since you have molecules from each oil, they don't change to a weight of 15, they just average out to 15.

For this reason, two or more oils blended to 10w40 would not predictably behave like actual 10w40. AMSOIL advises against mixing for this reason, and, I would say mostly, because there is a need to cover ass. It's better to just say no than to say yes and deal with any unlikely consequences. Or I could be wrong.

If you're going to be mixing anyways and are concerned about running the RD 15w50, I'd start with that as a base anyways and add to it whatever motorcycle oils you please. I will warranty the mix :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I certainly would give Amsoil a call, they do claim to provide a guarantee against engine failure if you use their product.

I was using Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil in my Ducati Hypermotard, and I did have a major engine failure, my crank bearings came apart, I do not know for sure it it had anything to do with the weight of the oil.

Most engine builders I talked to use the 20w50 in the air cooled engines, but I do like the cold flow of the 10w & the protection of the 50w, I see a trend in other brands of oil for the cold flow, such as 15w50 or 10w50.

Amsoil does not make a motorcycle 10w50, so I was thinking of making one, I would mix a qt of 10w40 to a qt of 20w50, as a compromise, would this make a 15w45? is there anything wrong with doing this? TIA Alex

41 - 60 of 104 Posts