Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil in my Ducati Hypermotard, and I did have a major engine failure, my crank bearings came apart, I do not know for sure it it had anything to do with the weight of the oil.

Most engine builders I talked to use the 20w50 in the air cooled engines, but I do like the cold flow of the 10w & the protection of the 50w, I see a trend in other brands of oil for the cold flow, such as 15w50 or 10w50.

Amsoil does not make a motorcycle 10w50, so I was thinking of making one, I would mix a qt of 10w40 to a qt of 20w50, as a compromise, would this make a 15w45? is there anything wrong with doing this? TIA Alex

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so run 10w-50 or 15w-50. Just use something other than amsoil.
The problem is that I have a bunch of different bikes, and I have a couple of cases each of the Amsoil 10w40 & 20w50, so I do not want to buy anymore oil, and besides I here Amsoil brand is decent oil. Aloha Alex

·
Old Wizard
3,000 Posts
Hypermotard Oil Viscosity

If you read your manual, 15W-50 is recommended. If your local average temperature is above freezing, alternatively you can use either 10w40 or 20w50 or any mixture of these two. There's no need to over-think this.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If you read your manual, 15W-50 is recommended. If your local average temperature is above freezing, alternatively you can use either 10w40 or 20w50 or any mixture of these two. There's no need to over-think this.
Thanks Shazaam, my Hypermotard (08) manual says the 10w40 is recommended one, but it seems like all the engine builders are using a XXw50 for this motor, and the oil trend I have noticed is the lighter "winter" weights such as the 10w50 or 15w50, a friend of mine even told me he saw a 5w50 oil, but I could not find it.

I'm not too concerned about the freezing element, (I live in SoCal) but wanted to use the "lightest" winter weight oil because I was told that it will circulate in the motor quicker, and have less "start up wear" when the engine is cold.

And since Amsoil did not make a 10w50, and I had so much of the 10w40 & 20w50 Amsoil, that is why I was thinking of the blending. Am I "thinking" wrong? TIA Alex

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oils are NOT to be blended. There may be adverse reactions from the different additive packs.

You can run one of the 20W-50 oils AMSOIL has, ARO or MCV, or the RD-50 15W-50 as you do not have a wet clutch.

I would stay with the MCV 20W-50 if you want to run a 50 wgt.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oils are NOT to be blended. There may be adverse reactions from the different additive packs.

You can run one of the 20W-50 oils AMSOIL has, ARO or MCV, or the RD-50 15W-50 as you do not have a wet clutch.

I would stay with the MCV 20W-50 if you want to run a 50 wgt.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
I thought that you said that the 10w40 & 20w50 motorcycle oils had the same additive package, but that the base stocks make-up were a little different to achieve the different viscosities. :confused: Alex

·
Registered
121 Posts
I thought that you said that the 10w40 & 20w50 motorcycle oils had the same additive package, but that the base stocks make-up were a little different to achieve the different viscosities. :confused: Alex
Alex, Some of the additives will be the same. Base stocks are blended and there are still additives to give the oil it's Specific Characteristics. Oils, especially Synthetics have come a long way over the years as they are Specifically Formulated for applications.

AMSOIL does not recommend blending even with their own oils as they have not been tested for compatibility.

You can safely mix oils in a situation to get you home but you should change the oil at the earliest possible convenience.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alex, Some of the additives will be the same. Base stocks are blended and there are still additives to give the oil it's Specific Characteristics. Oils, especially Synthetics have come a long way over the years as they are Specifically Formulated for applications.

AMSOIL does not recommend blending even with their own oils as they have not been tested for compatibility.

You can safely mix oils in a situation to get you home but you should change the oil at the earliest possible convenience.
This is getting kinda funny........almost all oil companies say to use only their oil for the "best" results, and why not, they want to sell "their" oil, but every oil company out there, even Amsoil will also say that its OK to mix in a syn or dino oil in a pinch from any other companies, because they are all compatable, after all we really are just talking motor oils here, how many times have we had to add oil to our cars from different Mfg's and even different weights, with NO ill effects. I personally have never lost an engine by mixing oils from different companies.

So I find that its odd that Amsoil has such a strong issue with blending their motorcycle oils, especially when they have basically have the same additive pack, and the base oil stock is a PAO or POA? whatever, what do they think will happen? the oil will turn to jelly?? :rolleyes: Aloha Alex

·
Registered
121 Posts
What is real funny is that people will read more into the word "Compatible" than is intended.

The oils will mix as to not cause an immediate problem and to get you where you are going but to change at the earliest possible time. I fail to see what is so hard to understand there.

What is also funny, is people, that are not Lubrication Engineers, will argue the point. they will listen to someone that doesn't know any more, if even as much, as they do, but will doubt people that have invested their lives in the business.

It is not "Just oil" anymore. Specific additives are used to make the oil perform for the intended application, especially when using upper end oils such as AMSOIL, Motul Etc...

Also, your thoughts on why an oil company recommends to buy their oil is totally illogical. The question about blending 2 different AMSOIL products for instance. If it didn't matter, the attitude would be, "Go ahead, you are buying our product either way".

DO NOT BLEND !!

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tooo late...

toooo late, did the "blend" :p and even did a dyno run, I went from 102HP to 110HP, :) so maybe now its water thin,:rolleyes: or the blending made it slickererr, :D so after about 800 more break-in miles I'll change the oil to see if turned to jelly, or peanut butter. ;) JK

Since Amsoil now makes a 10w30, 10w40, it would be nice to see a 10w50, or at least a 15w50 from Amsoil, as most oil companies are going this way.

But just to make it clear, in my defence, before I did the blend, a Amsoil rep from a oil forum did say that it was OK blend the two, just change it often, (which I do.) Bob, thanks for your impute. :) Aloha Alex

·
Registered
121 Posts
We have 20W-50.. My bike started just fine at 23 degrees, no labor on the starter.

We do have 15W-50... RD-50 Racing Dominator oil.

If you search hard enough and long enough, you can always find someone to agree with anything.. Just look at Global Warming and Polar Bears.

The AMSOIL "Rep" was wrong in making that recommendation. AMSOIL says NO.

As we discussed, if doing such a thing, you are Totally on your own and Oil Analysis from a quality lab such as Oil Analyzers or Polaris should be used.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
113 Posts
Even when you change the oil in your bike, you leave a fair amount inside that does not come out.
Same goes for cars, pickup trucks, big trucks, boats or whatever.

So when you change the oil, and use anything different than the last oil, like say brand, or weight, you are actually blending the oils to some extent.

So if they were so uncompatible, the motor should blow up then, but they do not.

Really, I sometimes think people are trying to make oil choice harder than it needs to be.

Use a good quality oil, of an appropriate weight.

Here in my bikes I run the same oil in each and everyone of them.
Same with my kids dirt bikes, my wifes 2 bikes, and my quad....but in winter I change the oil I use in my quad to a lighter weight.

Same with my cars and trucks, I use diffenet weights in winter, than the other 9 months of the year.

In my Big Truck, I run different weight oil in winter than summer to.

Do keep in mind that the wider the spread for weight an oil has, the more likely it is to be sheared down by the transmission, and normal engine operation.

So for example a 20w50 oil will shear less than a 10w50 oil will.

So your not only starting off with a lighter oil in the 10w50, but its getting thinner quicker to.

·
Registered
121 Posts
NObody said the engine would blow up. Well, except for you now.

There is no reason to change viscosity if you run the proper oil. I run 10W-40 in 2 of my bikes year round and 20W-50 in the other.

We all know there is oil left in the engine and is why a short change is a good idea when switching to a different oil.

This is also the reason I dismiss oil analysis that is performed randomly by people.

Oil, is the Life Blood of your engine. The Oil Filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Since Amsoil now makes a 10w30, 10w40, it would be nice to see a 10w50, or at least a 15w50 from Amsoil, as most oil companies are going this way.
Try Elf Moto 10W50 4 XT Tech or their Sport 4 Campione 10W60. Both are fantastic products. I run the Sport 4 Campione 10W60 in all of my bikes. I am in Houston, TX and it gets VERY HOT here in the summer and Elf has always performed great.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can assure you that is not the case with ELF. Bob you are on all of the forums. Which Ducati to you ride?
I am on a lot of the forums because we pay to be on a lot of them.

After doing this since 1972 I need to ride a Duc to know about oil ? There is something unique about the lubricant requirements of a Duc ?

Larry Pegram uses AMSOIL in his Duc.

I have 3 bikes of different brands and none are a Duc.

I personally sell to some Podium Teams, however, they are not Duc's either.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I am on a lot of the forums because we pay to be on a lot of them.

After doing this since 1972 I need to ride a Duc to know about oil ? There is something unique about the lubricant requirements of a Duc ?

Larry Pegram uses AMSOIL in his Duc.

I have 3 bikes of different brands and none are a Duc.

I personally sell to some Podium Teams, however, they are not Duc's either.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
WOAHHHH Bob relax!! Why are you getting so defensive about this. I just assumed that since you were on the DUCATI Forum you rode one of these fantastic bikes. I guess not. Have a nice day.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts