Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to do this I'm sure there are a bunch of threads about oil.

So what brand and viscosity oils do you use?

I'm due for a oil change in my MTS 1200 and my 1100 and I really don't what to have a bunch of different oils laying around. What would this community recommend for both bikes?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh my bad I use t6 I'm the Jetta.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
530 Posts
Put in T6 at about 3000 miles. Currently have about 3500 miles on the oil and no complaints. Shifting still just as smooth as when the oil was new.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
My owners manual says to use 15W-50, but I recently went to the dealer to get some oil. They only had 10W-40 and that is what they put in all the bikes now until they can get 15W-50 again.

I guess it won't a difference until the temperatures go up again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I checked my oil level just before the weekend, because I had a big trip coming up. To my surprise the oil level was exactly on that minimal indication. First time in my life I've had to add some oil. I still think my MTS is leaking some oil, I posted some pics last week. Anyway, service is coming up soon, the 12.000 one, I'll ask if they can check it.

I used "Agip Moto 4T 10W-40 synthetic technology". This should be ok, right? I added about 0,3/0,4 liter.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Turbo-

used the Mobil 1 4T 10W-40 full synthetic ($6 a quart at Autozone) for my last change. 3000 miles on it so far, no issues at all. Nice shifting, hasn't used a drop, and has stayed pretty clear in color.

IMHO, any JASO rated 10-40 synthetic should do fine. My mechanic (level 2 certified) recommended a once-yearly oil change with this- according to him, the full synthetics simply don't degrade under non-racing conditions and changing every 3000 miles is overkill.

Dave

·
Registered
496 Posts
Redline Synthetic

Pro Italia here in the LA area uses Redline synthetic ( 20w 50 I believe). The swear by it and its supposed to be great for hot temps. 5000 miles and so far the bike runs great..

·
Registered
602 Posts
So what brand and viscosity oils do you use?
Stick (or should I say lube) with a full synthetic motorcycle oil. Auto oils have additives that adversely effect wet clutches. Even more of these additives are found in auto "high mileage" formulas.... avoid, avoid, avoid!

Full synthetics resist degrading due to high operating temperatures and resist shear much better then non-synthetics. Furthermore, Ducati recommends using a full-synthetic in the 1200.

Viscosity selection depends largely on the climactic conditions in which you regularly operate your cycles. What others use may not apply to your situation. A viscosity range chart is most always included in respective owners manuals.

Filtration IMO is equally as important as oil choice as all oils become contaminated. Recirculated contaminants are a source of accelerated internal engine wear. Choose a filter with a small micron filter. I personally attach a few rare-earth magnets to the external filter to subdue the most microscopic of ferrous material from recirculating through the Testestretta.

Also, the frequency of oil changes will get rid of contaminants. IOW, the day you change you oil is the cleanest/best it will ever be. Accelerated oil change intervals are relatively inexpensive insurance for peak performance of any internal combustion engine.

I personally use Castrol Power RS Racing 4T. Superstition causes me to stay with the same oil for the length of my ownership. YMMV.

In closing, short term testing of oils mean little. I am waiting to hear the Marvel Mystery Oil report from the 1200 owner with 1,000,000 miles under tires without rebuild.:think:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been using the Mobil 1 4T. Having bothered doing an oil analysis yet as I've been changing oil only about half-way through the service interval.
As I recall, the Rotella oils do not use the friction modifiers that are bad for wet clutches. It should be suitable, but I would have an analysis done after about 4k miles to see how it's holding up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts