Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Haven't been here since last year!

Here's a small article from last week's MCN - (UK).......ignore the "2009" typo!

·
7,733 Posts
Hi all.

Here's a small article from last week's MCN - (UK).......ignore the "2009" typo!

"No price has been set"? Wonder why? :) Arm and a leg no doubt. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bit like high-end jewelers I expect - no price tags.

If you have to ask "how much?", then you can't afford it. :eek:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
But the "Full factory look" has got to be worth it. My current "semi-factory look" doesn't cut it. :D

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
Full factory look at full factory price....

Probably be a welcome upgrade if I was a full factory rider. :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Smart move. There will be those that wouldn't dream of riding on lowly Sachs boingers, so they will buy the base model then purchase the Ohlins upgrade.

Genius! :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi all.

Well from my angle this is great news, and thanks for posting it. :)

It will have arisen from the end of Ohlins's OEM agreement with Ducati on that model, IMO. As I understand that, Ohlins agreed it would not sell a product that competed directly with what it was selling Ducati.

Now Ducati has gone with Sachs Skyhook, that deal has ended.

Looks to me like it is win-win for the potential Multi owner.

You can get a 2013 with Skyhook. You can get a 2013 standard, with Marzocchi and Sachs manual.

You can also get a 2010-12 standard, or a 2013 standard, and add the full Ohlins electronic kit.

Those with the OEM Ohlins kit won't be excited. But it is good for the rest of us.

(BTW: for those wanting a manual Ohlins option, the expiry of the same deal has allowed Ohlins to offer a TTX manual shock: they are available through Dan Kyle [and every other Ohlins dealer]. Circa $1250. Matris and Andreani do kits for the std fork.)

However, with Ohlins offering an electronic option aftermarket, I would be a lot happier to run that version than when it was OEM.

Why? Because buying it directly from Ohlins gives you access to parts directly from Ohlins, information directly from Ohlins and warranty work directly from Ohlins.

And with any luck, a bigger range of springs directly from Ohlins. :rolleyes: Which could be good for the OEM guys also.

Price is a whole other question. The fork will be expensive because it will likely require new top and bottom triples if it is to go on a standard Multi, which will come with triples bored for the 50mm Marzocchi.

·
Registered
369 Posts
And straight from the horse's mouth ...

Okay, a wee bit more on this, based on an Ohlins press release for the recent EICMA - the motorcycle show in Milan.

Edited version of the release:

"Utilising technology developed as OE on the Ducati Multistrada S, Öhlins now launch an even more advanced semi-active electronic suspension system for the ‘base’ model machine.

"Choosing the ‘home’ EICMA event for this iconic machine, Öhlins showcased the prototype version of this complete shock, forks and ECU system. ... the new system will give Multistrada owners the most advanced suspension package on the market.

"The new system features a complete ‘Road and Track’ front fork kit with titanium coating on the inner sliders for that ‘full factory’ look, and also performance. At the rear the latest TTX36 MkII shock has been utilised with new valving components. The fully integrated ECU control is now equipped with new ‘smart suspension’ functions that change the suspension set-up dependent on rider input on the road.

"The complete system has been developed in-house at Öhlins Mechatronics Department with testing carried out across Europe, ready for production in 2013 and will fit all Models from 2009. Pricing is expected to be competitive with that of the S model machine albeit with higher suspension specifications on the aftermarket system."

it is starting to sound like they developed this for Ducati, and when they were turned down decided to recoup some of their R&D by offering it as an aftermarket alternative to the DES and Skyhook "S" models.

I will be very interested to see at what price they can offer it.

Skyhook sounds very good, but then there is also something about having full control of your suspension via a good Ohlins tech, compared with buying the OEM factory Skyhook and hoping it does the job.

At least there is no longer a good reason to moan about Ducati's having dropped Ohlins for the 2013 range. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Still a good reason to complain! Now it will cost another 5k to have the full ohlins set that came with th '12 - albeit new and improved....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well that's an interesting development, but I just can't believe that it would be as cost competitive as they state. Go out and buy a standard for $17k, then they'll offer their full set up for only another $3k? I don't believe it. You'd still have to install it and you don't have a bike with the bags or other components the touring bike comes with that would add another $1500 or so. Some people will do it probably, but you'd sure have to really be a big fan of Ohlins to be worth it.

·
7,733 Posts
Well that's an interesting development, but I just can't believe that it would be as cost competitive as they state. Go out and buy a standard for $17k, then they'll offer their full set up for only another $3k? I don't believe it. You'd still have to install it and you don't have a bike with the bags or other components the touring bike comes with that would add another $1500 or so. Some people will do it probably, but you'd sure have to really be a big fan of Ohlins to be worth it.
What about retrofitting a 2010 base model bought second hand at great savings in 2015? :) People have been upgrading suspension on used bikes with top shelf Ohlins stuff for decades now, so what's the diff if it's E or manual? An upgrade is an upgrade and peeps have traditionaly been happy to put new, state of the art Ohlins suspesnions on their sometimes very used/old bikes. :) Pride of ownership and all that. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
What about retrofitting a 2010 base model bought second hand at great savings in 2015? :) People have been upgrading suspension on used bikes with top shelf Ohlins stuff for decades now, so what's the diff if it's E or manual? An upgrade is an upgrade and peeps have traditionaly been happy to put new, state of the art Ohlins suspesnions on their sometimes very used/old bikes. :) Pride of ownership and all that. :)
That's closer to the mark I'd think. Still, I know it's pretty common for BMW guys once their ESA suspension is shot to put manual Ohlins on the bike, this is new territory. In 2015 my '10 standard will probably be worth something like $9-10k. If I were still owning it, which I'll probably trade it before then, would I spend 50% of the value of the bike on new suspenders? Nope.

·
7,733 Posts
That's closer to the mark I'd think. Still, I know it's pretty common for BMW guys once their ESA suspension is shot to put manual Ohlins on the bike, this is new territory. In 2015 my '10 standard will probably be worth something like $9-10k. If I were still owning it, which I'll probably trade it before then, would I spend 50% of the value of the bike on new suspenders? Nope.
When BMW started using ESA, the replacment cost was always an issue though so many owners were trumpeting the advantages, the voices of high replacement costs were lost in the din. The chickens have come home to roost I see. :) Replacement was quoted as 2K for *1* shock "back then" IIRC, so it doesnt surpise me to hear some owners are resorting back to manual systems. But OTOH, how many are replacing with ESA?

So you figure 5K for the forks? Sounds :crazy:

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
One question that will likely remain unanswered for a while is; why did Ducati switch from Ohlins to Sachs. Did Sachs leapfrog its rivals with the new suspension technology and truely produce a superior product.

bob

·
Registered
150 Posts
When BMW started using ESA, the replacment cost was always an issue though so many owners were trumpeting the advantages, the voices of high replacement costs were lost in the din. The chickens have come home to roost I see. :) Replacement was quoted as 2K for *1* shock "back then" IIRC, so it doesnt surpise me to hear some owners are resorting back to manual systems. But OTOH, how many are replacing with ESA?

So you figure 5K for the forks? Sounds :crazy:
Not just the forks, the entire package of forks, shock and ECU. And I'm I'm just guessing, but I bet it's close.

·
7,733 Posts
One question that will likely remain unanswered for a while is; why did Ducati switch from Ohlins to Sachs. Did Sachs leapfrog its rivals with the new suspension technology and truely produce a superior product.

bob
Sachs has been making skyhook systems for exotic cars for a very long time now: they are proven systems; they have the technology. :)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

bob
In today's world, i'd bet it's all profit based.

I think either company can produce great suspension, but who could sell the package to Ducati, and Ducati turn the greatest profit?????

Lowest bidder dynamics in play.

·
Registered
734 Posts
In today's world, I'd bet it's all profit based.

I think either company can produce great suspension, but who could sell the package to Ducati, and Ducati turn the greatest profit?????

Lowest bidder dynamics in play.
I think your right with that. I'm guessing if they've spread the cost of development across the automobile
segment of the market as well as the motorcycle market, they could probably
produce it for less than Ohlins.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts