Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, last year i buy a brand new ohlins shocks for my 02' m900.
Orered in april it arrived in july and start leaking oil in december:

I got it rebuilded with new bushing and seals and also softer shimming by an andreani/ohlins autorized shop.

Now, after only 500km, i can see oil on the shaft:

In the last pic i cleaned the shaft and only done 3 or 4 km..:mad:

Any advice? Don't know what to do...

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Yes thats not normal return to whoever rebuilt it last time is sensitive so do not wait too long. Also if you have a damaged shaft it will tear seals. 1 rock thrown from the rear wheel can damage a shaft in a second. That's no ones fault and would not be warranty. IF that is the case be sure to run a rear hugger to protect that shock.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks belter & ducvet.
The first hugger was modified by p.o.

After shock rebuild i put an oem hugger

It is good enough?
I haven't found any stone chips.

The end joints were quite sticky:

They require more than shock weight to turn. It's common?

At the shop the tell me that is common and also that the shaft was good (they polished it), but anyway they haven't found the cause of the leak..

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
I have plenty of ohlins shocks myself, tons of customers with them. Chronic leaking like you are seeing is not common.

Penske shocks will tell you in the owners manual that the shock will "weep" and a thin film of fluid on the shaft is both expected and normal. Well they also want shims changed yearly or something silly. I run both on street and track and in hot and cold weather and I so far have never had a shock seal leak on my ohlins shocks.

I would consider sending the shock to Ohlins service center and make sure they are aware of the issue you are having so they take a long careful look. The fenders you are running so no issues there . I assume the bike is sprung properly and you are not 400lbs and like to do double jumps with the bike. .

I would be disappointed if that was mine so I understand the frustration. It might also be worth asking the question of Ohlins in Sweden as I would expect that does not seem right to them either.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I'm quite disappointed.
I weight 60kg, with 90N/mm spring i have more than 10mm of unused shaft travel before touching the bump stop, so no abuse of the shock.
Tomorrow i will take some more pics and contact the shop that rebild it.
If they say they want more money to repair it i will try contacting the dealer or the italian distributor (Andreani) or Ohlins sweden...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts