Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A parts guy I know has a low mileage Ohlins shock that will bolt onto my '98 900ss. Would that be a $400 improvement over the stock Sachs? I've installed adjustable forks from a Monster, so a better shock is the next thing.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
YES! That is a great shock for a fantastic price. One problem with the Sachs is that it came sprung for 2-up riding. A Race Tech spring appropriate to your weight will make it a much better performing shock, but it'll never be as good as the Öhlins.

If you don't end up buying it, I'm happy to take it off his hands. Seriously.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
I will try and break it down between the two so you can decide.

1. Sachs
The ups
you already own it so up front cost is better.
It can easily be sprung with a better spring so fitting will be easy and this makes it equal to the ohlins in springing.
Valving, I would rate the sachs valve about 80-90% of the Ohlins valve so with a little set up these are very good shocks.

The downs.
Replacement parts, a couple years ago I contacted Sachs about buying parts for these shocks as for most people they are plenty good after setting them up. Corporate had no Idea they sold motorcycle parts and NO they will not sell parts as they support whole units only. Bummer.
Not an Ohlins.... Yes if you buy something Gold and put it on your Ducati it should be still desired when you go to sell it. A Sachs will NEVER be an option to some people because it is not an Ohlins.

2.Ohlins
Very good components to start
Support, I can buy pretty much any piece to fix an Ohlins back to the 80's bikes.
It is gold, resale is going to be there iin that you wouold sell it for at least what you are looking to pay and probably more as time goes on.

The downs
$400 for a shock that probably needs a spring as well, might need a freshening (oil,nitrogen and some o-rings). I recommend street shocks get freshened about every 18,000 miles. All in you might hit $600 for a shock all fresh and sprung (if needed) .

If you have the $$ and the shock is in good shape I would grab it all day long.
Look for pits in the shock shaft
a rotting /broken shock bumper
leaking sels

1 - 3 of 3 Posts