Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me the replacement procedures on rear shock ? I see that the header pipes need to be removed and I found the rubber plugs in the swing arm concealing the bolts but what about suspending the bike . Can I hang it from the subframe to the ceiling joist in garage or is that not necessary ? Also torque values on upper and lower bolts if anyone knows them or has manual. Thanks guys !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If you still have your stock headers you cant install the Ohlins shock.
You either need to have a reflashed ECU without the o2 sensors or a leo vince hearders kit (which have a different position for the sensor and leave enough clearance for the pigyback shock).

You can hang the bike from the frame or the subframe to the cieling if you have the right tools.
Or just can always do the ladder trick...

Torque values, I can find you that from the 1100 book.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks chouch !!! I already have LV pipes and o2's have been removed since reflash ....can't wait to see difference ........ And what's the ladder trick? Last time I was on a ladder I fell off . Haha

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
From the book:
*/ bolt that goes thru the swingarm, the ride heigh adjuster and the bottom shock is 45Nm
*/ bolt at the top of the shock to the link is 45Nm
*/ Link to the ride heigh adjuster is also 45Nm
*/ Link to the frame, 45Nm

Tolerance is considered critical.
So instead of a 10%, you have to be in a 5% margin.

Watch out for the swingarm, it's hallow and many of us, including me, lost bolts in it. (with more or less success in the recovery process)

If you dont have the Ohlins shock yet, I would strongly suggest you to get in touch with Traxxion and get yourself a Penske instead.
The Ohlins shock is good but not that great, and for teh same price you can get a Penske custom made for you.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info chouch !!! You are the man !!! I actually just purchased the ohlins this morning . I paid $600 and it came with adjustable ride height bar . I contacted traxxion 3 days ago and was quoted $1400 for rear Penske shock so the used ohlins ( 1000 miles on it ) just suited the budget . Any reccomendations on the shock adjustments to start with like how many threads to tighten spring and how many on ride height . I'm 6'1" and 200lbs . Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out . This forum is great

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
1400$ is the top of the range, the triple clicker with low and high speed compression adjustment.
Their regular shock with ride height, preload, rebound and single compression is 800$.
Slightly more than a used Ohlins, but made on request for customer specs.

TBH, I went from the standard shock of a 1100 to the Ohlins, and yes it was an improvement, but I'm still thinking of getting it rebuilt by Traxxion to make it better for me.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also , since header pipe will be removed . Should I go ahead and pull the oil screen and clean it ? Bike has 5k miles . Or is it not necessary ?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Anyone use any loc tite on rear shock bolts

no need to.

also dont forget a hidden tank allen bolt in the rear of he bike you will have to remove to get to one of the shock mounting bolts. its a 6mm or 5mm seen from the bottom of the bike right between the exhaust and license plate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts