Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Ohlins and Penske shock topic has been done many times before but here's a new question related to the Ohlins ST shock. I have a '01 ST2 and I'd like to put an Ohlins shock (like the ST4s has) on it. The dilemma is the Ohlins web site and other web retailers show the Ohlins shock for the ST2 and ST4 for MY '97-2000 only and nothing for MY '01-'02. The part number is DU701 for the Ohlins rear shock 46HRCS.

Does anyone here know if this shock will fit on my '01 ST2??? I don't know of any changes that Ducati may have made in '01 to the swingarm or suspension linkage that would differ from the earlier models. I have contacted Ohlins USA and even they could not give me an answer, referring me to check with a Ducati online chat site and here I am. How do you like that? Ohlins USA can't verify the application of it's own products! If the DU701 46HRCS will fit my '01 ST and newer model ST bikes then I sure hope they update their application data! Again, can anyone verify if the Ohlins shock I mentioned will fit my '01 ST2 or do you know of one that will? Thanks as always!

Thomas

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom; again your fountain of knowledge has helped me out again! Question; I can't remember, did you put an Ohlins on your ST2? I also noticed that the Ohlins DU701 46 HRCS pictured on most sites show the shock as having a box shaped lower mount while the shock pictured in the Ducati accessory catalog show a more traditional round eyelet style lower mount (see attachments). Which style is correct for the ST series bike? If anyone else here has ordered an Ohlins shock for their ST, what was the shape of the lower mount. I know some sellers use whatever picture is available when advertising on the web. Thanks for the info!

Thomas

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
Sorry that the OhlinsUSA guys couldn't help. If you ever have questions and would like them answered, I have the inside connection :) . The reason why their is no listing for your bike is that is how Ohlins does it. If it hasn't been updated then the earlier year(s) shock will fit correctly. Only when they change a model do that put a new listing in the catalog.-Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ken, I'll PM you If I have any further questions. I can't go without saying..."Oh my GOD!!! That is one damn HOT ST you posted"!!! Nice color too by the way. I've been salivating all day at work just thinking about it. Well done!

My next dilemma is to see if there is enough room in the right side seat fairing for the Ohlins remote reservoir. I have a Ducati alarm system to be mounted in there already and I can't move it because the wiring is specific to my bike and places the alarm under the seat in the space between the frame and plastic side fairing! It's to bad Ohlins doesn't make a piggyback reservoir (46PRCS) for the ST series bike like the stock Sachs unit has.

Thomas

·
Registered
887 Posts
Ken, looks like you bought Brad's ST4s! I didn't know he had sold it. Lot's of trick go fast components as well as plenty of eye-candy. He offered to let me ride it when we met up in Utah and I'm still regreting that I never got around to take him up on it. Why did he sell it and did he replace it with anything?

I haven't heard from him for a year or more.

S

·
0 Posts
Thomas I'm glad that I could be of service. Ohlins shocks can have the nitrigen reservoirs moved a little and we can always add a longer or short hose depending on what you need. Glad you liked the pictures. Maybe I will post one with the girls.

Mike, Good eye on Brad's bike. I don't own it though it has spent more time in my garage than his. I'm the guy who built it for him. The latest is that we had another swing arm made and then I had to make it custom like usual. This time though I powder coated it Black and it really rocks on the bike. -Ken

·
Registered
887 Posts
SBKI said:
Ok I can't resist. Enjoy everyone

I do need to get these up on my website-Ken
Wow. That has to be the hottest ST ever built! I think I like it better than Uncle Wendell's. The DD headlight and surround looks really great in the darker shade. Sweet!

Say hi to Brad for me and tell him not to be such a STranger!

S

·
0 Posts
Mike, I made the headlight shell out of Carbon Fiber. Way to much work!!! But then again Brad wants to be different then every other ST.

·
Site Sponsor & Senior Member
193 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,174 Posts
If any of you guys need more info on Öhlins stuff, PM me. I live like 10 min. drive from the factory and have a pretty good contact with one of the R&D guys.

·
Registered
474 Posts
OMG!!!! What the hell did I do!!!

Sunday I went for a short ride with Whitelighting99 & was loving the ride to SP. We changed bikes & I really love the confort of lighting's bike. When we changed back he said it was a bit rough on the rear shock. He is right!!!

Today I called Kyle Racing to see what the rate the spring I had & he said it was the stiffest spring that is available. But, Dan also said it is the wrong rear shock for the bike. It is for a ST2 or ST4 not a ST3.
He has not give me an option but what I have is a Ohlins # DU7013 with 140NM
rate spring.
It appears that Dan will not be selling a replacement spring...
This is a new bike to me & I thohought people used the Ohlins adjustabkle shock on ST3's?
What am I to do?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts