Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was explained that a 3000 mile initial service of the Ohlins forks is highly recommended. (Drain, clean, new seals, new fluid). Can anyone verify this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
946 Posts
I mean it's just a fork like any other fork. Not a bad idea to do a break-in oil change to get the grit out from the spring wearing in, then every major service thereafter. It certainly isn't required though, and you definitely do not need new seals. Just a simple dump, slosh around some new fluid, and refill.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was explained that a 3000 mile initial service of the Ohlins forks is highly recommended. (Drain, clean, new seals, new fluid). Can anyone verify this?

I have not heard that from the dealer. 12,000 miles for shocks/forks is a safe number for maintenance for normal riding. If you're doing wheelies, etc. that obviously shortens that. Do it yearly if you track the bike.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke with Ohlins as well as my local shop and a suspension shop who recommended it. I can probably take an accurate guess at how few riders actually do it. I am looking to change my fork springs and learned that while researching and calling around. Obviously, if I change fork springs it will be done.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
Fork oil changes arent like motor oil changes. The are twiec as involved and if you arent doing the work yourself youre going to pay dearly. I dont believe that springs let off break in "grit". The only reason I am servicing Forks or shocks is if its leaking or if there is clearly something wrong with it.

Reactions: joeR6

·
Registered
155 Posts
Fork oil changes arent like motor oil changes. The are twiec as involved and if you arent doing the work yourself youre going to pay dearly. I dont believe that springs let off break in "grit". The only reason I am servicing Forks or shocks is if its leaking or if there is clearly something wrong with it.
+1
Your bike is practically new. Your forks shouldn't need anything for a looong time.
3000 mi break in service for forks seems very excessive. I'd be inclined to think the shop is trying to get $$$ from you. Now, if you are competitively racing or doing lots of track days on the 939sp that might be a different story.

I have yet to service my forks/shock on my 2009 hypermotard with 17k miles on the clock and about a dozen track days. Although I'm probably due for some new fluid and seals. I've had a few seals weep from time to time but I remedied that with sealmate.
Motor oil on the other hand I'm changing every 3k miles. Break/clutch fluid every 2 years. All the other maintenance I pretty much follow by the book.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Have you ever taken apart a fork? It's full of metal from the spring and the inside of the tube as the fork spring vibrates and rubs against the sides. Most of this is done in the first few thousand miles and you will see some parts of the inner tube polished and shiny from the sliding.

It certainly doesn't hurt to change the oil. After the initial change you can go a fair amount of time without changing it.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
Have you ever taken apart a fork? It's full of metal from the spring and the inside of the tube as the fork spring vibrates and rubs against the sides. Most of this is done in the first few thousand miles and you will see some parts of the inner tube polished and shiny from the sliding.
Yes.

No. I have never seen or noticed any shavings from an OE cartridge in an OE fork tube.

It is my opinion that changing or flushing fork fluid just on a "hunch" is a waste of time and money.

But carry on, Im curious to see if OP actually does it and what his findings are 0:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The last forks I did were on my ‘11 R1. I replaced the springs. The fluid had a tint to it at 5,000 miles.

On the other hand buddy changed his seals out on his 18,000 mile zx10r this weekend and the fluid was perfectly clear.

Maybe it’s just luck of the draw??*♂

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
The last forks I did were on my ‘11 R1. I replaced the springs. The fluid had a tint to it at 5,000 miles.

On the other hand buddy changed his seals out on his 18,000 mile zx10r this weekend and the fluid was perfectly clear.

Maybe it’s just luck of the draw??*♂
Naw...

Just bad info and with respect to OP, maybe new owners and the not so mechanically inclined giving into it. Not saying you shouldnt check your suspension components, its your bike, do as you please but dont tell me you have to break in fuild. Thats just silly and like I said, wasteful on many levels.

Cheers!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No offense taken. We are all here for the common good.
I am the OP, I am very mechanically inclined, and it’s not my first rodeo with cracking open forks. I just figured I would chime in because I was told 3k and have never messed with forks that early on.
At this point, I think the only way I will be opening them up soon is if I need to swap springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts