Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, I read the entire 39-page thread.

Bought the bike a month ago from a dealer and ordered the Ohlins SCU at that time.
It came in this week, picked it up yesterday and watched a few YouTube vids this morning and went to install it. Took the old one off, and I suspect the bike already has an Ohlins SCU installed...the bike has a number of other upgrades, so I wouldn't be shocked, but if the PO installed the Mechatronic SCU and then never tuned the settings to 1/1 to enable semi-active mode, that is a mystery...

The old and new look identical, both have identical stickers with the same info on the back (different CAN number, different s/n, different date, of course) but the old one is dated after the manufacture date of the bike and has the 35000-03 number just like the new one.

All of the vids/pics I saw showed physical differences between old and new, different stickers, and "Ohlins" cast into the new, but mine have none of these differences.

Also, the literature and vids indicate different settings available, and seem to indicate that only certain numbers are available (original 1, 4, 8, 12, 18, 22, 26, 32 and Ohlins 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, 14, 17, 18-32 new).
But I can select any intermediate value (2, 6, etc.) that does not appear on either chart, so this does not help me identify what I have either.

Any advice on resolving this? If I have spent $400 in error, I can sell it...but more to the point, I don't know what I have on the bike, or how to figure it out..

·
Registered
391 Posts
I sold my SCU a few years ago and no longer have the Multi so this is just from my questionable memory. The one that has a molded "Ohlins" is the original SCU. Have you tried to change the settings with info you got in the new one? Those instructions will only apply to the semi-active SCU.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The comparison chart on Ohlins replacement is different from the original SCU - example - Ohlins SCU setting at 17 is equivalent to setting 32 on the original SCU ( for forks only , the rear shock is the same setting on Ohlins SCU and Original SCU ).

To check if the SCU is an Event based control SCU - set each SCU at 32 in Sport mode ( 150 HP high ,rider only ), start bike , then squeeze front brake and push down on forks and note how far down they go ( tie pc of string around fork tight enough where it won't slide on its own and set string to top of fork , this will mark the amount of play when you push down on the forks ) , do this with both SCU's , if forks go down approx. the same using approx. same amount of manual pushing downforce then they are both Ohlins event based SCU's , if forks go down to different levels with the different SCU's then the one that goes down the farthest is the Ohlins replacement SCU.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies.
BCMonster--
The one that has a molded "Ohlins" is the original SCU.
Neither of mine have "Ohlins" molded in.
Have you tried to change the settings with info you got in the new one? Those instructions will only apply to the semi-active SCU.
Again, watching the video, setting is the same either way. The difference is that you set everything to a Comp and 1 Reb. But you can do the same with the original one, so that is inconclusive. And I can set mine to numbers which the instructions don't indicate as being available on either one...that is the confounding part.

SCO--
If my understanding is correct, the higher the number, the softer the comp/reb setting, so 32 on the Ohlins SCU would be much softer, correct?
To be honest, I'd like to not install the new one, on the assumption that if I have to return or sell it, I would rather it had been never plugged in or activated. If that is my last resort, I will, but I'll hold of for a bit and see if there is another way.

Aero53--
Thank you, I will read the attached article, but the pics are as I said before--both of mine are identical and look like the "new" one.

For now, I have set the Sport mode Rider-Only settings to 1 and 1 (semi-active) and will try riding it that way. And then change to Rider Plus Luggage (still manual) and see if I can tell any difference

·
Registered
592 Posts
If my understanding is correct, the higher the number, the softer the comp/reb setting, so 32 on the Ohlins SCU would be much softer, correct?
Correct

1 - 6 of 6 Posts