Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got news from my dealer Ohlins is recalling right fork legs. Problems seem to be coming from the bottom piece that mounts the axle, calliper and bottom of the stanction. I hear this is why no other bikes have been sent. Recall affects 1198S and 1100S models as well.

Anyone else heard this. I have no idea when the bikes should be arriving. Easy on the wheelies boys.

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
426 Posts
Oh boy...no wonder...I've been impatiently waiting for mine, and my dealer can only tell me status is pending.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
aaa, hell.. we can never win. Ducati.. I love their product but darnit if they just can't get it right the first time!

·
1,642 Posts
Why would you blame Ducati for this, clearly they did not manufacture the forks??
yea,,, you're right. but I feel like blaming somebody.
speaking of suspension.. I wonder how showa's big piston forks compare to the ohlins.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Pass the Buck

Why would you blame Ducati for this, clearly they did not manufacture the forks??
Sorry, but I would blame Ducati,ultimately they are responsible for their product.:mad:
Although there will,no doubt,be teething troubles,Ducati are responsible.:( It's called quality control:(

I still love this bike though:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
1,642 Posts
:)

not to disagree with my previous self, but many times manufacturing faults are not found until after a product has been distributed. my guess would be that the recall is based on some quality control testing on a batch of the parts in question. and the fault likely just a faulty batch of parts resulting from a poor batch of raw materials to an error in manufacturing. Ohlins may possibly outsource the parts, and they may have just finished testing them. In fact I can imagine in my head Ohlins calling up Ducati and saying, "hey,, those forks we sold you last week.. yea,, they're bad,, about 5% of them will fail drastically.. you haven't used them yet, have you?". Anyway a recall this early is better than people having failures and the news of that getting out.

**note** this is all speculation and has no relation to what may actually be.. you know in real life?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Issue with right Ohlins fork...

The issue is this:

The holes for the pinch bolts were drilled and tapped too deep on some units.

As a result you can see the bottom of the threads on the i.d. of the fork where the axle slides through.

I assume this is a problem because if a crack starts that it could cause the front wheel to misalign and cause damage to the rotors and or calipers, or worse, cause the front wheel to seperate from the bike.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jones525 - is the recall initially just an inspection to see how the holes were drilled/tapped. Only replacement then if the job was botched?

One of the sales associates from my dealership dropped by my work saturday night on the demo SF and said that they inspected the concerning piece and said it was all OK.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I saw the...

Official Ducati papers and in the images it showed what I had described in my earlier post. The recall mentioned a certian affected range. Unfortunately I did not ask what that range was as I have not ordered yet. I'm hoping that I get one that dosent need to have the fork replaced.

Inspection should be easy, just pull the axle and follow the angle where the pinch bolts thread and see if you can detect anything on the i.d. where the axle rests. If so, then it needs replaced, if not you should be good.

·
Registered
169 Posts
UK Ducati SF Safety Recall 777

Mine has been recalled for

"we have determined that the right hand side front fork needs to be inspected and,if necessary,replaced as it could fail and impair the safe operation of the motorcycle" :eek:

It is essential that you contact your local Ducati Store or Dealer asap. :abduct:

Hope they've got the bits ready to repair the problem or I'll be needing a courtesy bike.:rolleyes:
and I think that would be the Desmodeci,Tee Hee...:D

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My chat with the dealer yesterday yielded replacement parts are all ready in the states (NJ) and the whole fork leg is replaced.

·
1,642 Posts
my dealer said they were just putting the replacement part in with the bike as they shipped the newer ones out. They weren't clear on whether or not it was the entire fork or not.

·
Registered
294 Posts
mine is in for replacement should bre ready in a few days
i was given a 990smt ktm replacement bike!
still sad though , but as they say "shit happens";)
p.s. the entire fork !!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yep,
I wouldn't think Ohlins would allow a wrench monkey loose on their product as it would invalidate their warranty,unless he was a trained Ohlins tec guy.:eek:

So,therefore, I would expect the whole unit to be replaced and RTB for renovation to be re-used .:think:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Recalled

Took my bike in yesterday for the 2 recalls,forks and fuel line,and the first service.;)
They did offer me their demo to ride whilst mine was being sorted .:)
Hopefully I'll get it back next weekend.....:D
Meanwhile I've got this little Puppy to play on....

·
Bon Vivant
10,917 Posts
Has anybody (besides me) had their bike inspected for the fork recall and not
had the part replaced? I mean where the tech said it looked fine...

I'm not sure I trust the tech who looked at my bike :(

·
Registered
465 Posts
Has anybody (besides me) had their bike inspected for the fork recall and not
had the part replaced? I mean where the tech said it looked fine...

I'm not sure I trust the tech who looked at my bike :(
My buddy has an 1198s that was also affected by the recall. He was also told his was ok. And he too was a little concerned. He took it to another dealer for a second opinion and was told it was fine. The bottom line is that it costs the dealer nothing to replace it and their liability would be huge if they told you a faulty part was fine after inspecting it. I'd say you should be fine.

Having said that, it would be nice if someone had a photo of the faulty part (assuming its visible that way) to post so owners could have a little more info on what the problem looks like.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Well it's based on the vin range, so it'd be pretty easy to determine faulty bikes. ie they'd know exactly when the replacement part was placed into the assembly process. So they know exactly what bikes would be affected, or so I'd think
Chris

·
Registered
465 Posts
Well it's based on the vin range, so it'd be pretty easy to determine faulty bikes. ie they'd know exactly when the replacement part was placed into the assembly process. So they know exactly what bikes would be affected, or so I'd think
Chris
Apparently the VIN range only represents those that could be affected but does not mean that it is.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts