Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my PS for a few months now and have still not gotten around to changing out the rear spring on it, which I believe is for a heavier rider (as the previous owner was a bigger than I am...probly 220 or so, if not more). Currently it rides alright...until I reach some road that is in the process of getting chewed up by construction, which is increasingly occurring here in Austin, especially in the central/south area I live in.

The current spring on my bike has these numbers on it: 00698-02/36 L175

So I've not done much research on how to get a replacement spring (I'm sure contacting Ohlins could sort that out rather quickly) for this bike. That being the case, I thought I'd ask people on this forum a)what spring should a 145 lb (that's in my birthday suit without a helmet on, so maybe 150-155 when I'm actually on the bike and clothed) rider use, and b) would anyone happen to have this spring and be willing to part with it (long shot, but worth a try).

Didn't mean to use so many parentheses, my bad.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I have no idea what that part number indicates in terms of rate, but FYI the stock rate is 183 lbs / inch, which I think should be in the ballpark for someone of your weight.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Josh,

I have a stock spring on my sport classic if you would like to swap I'm around 220 and have my spring topped out currently. I was going to order a new one but if you would like to swap I'd be glad to.

agent66

I've had my PS for a few months now and have still not gotten around to changing out the rear spring on it, which I believe is for a heavier rider (as the previous owner was a bigger than I am...probly 220 or so, if not more). Currently it rides alright...until I reach some road that is in the process of getting chewed up by construction, which is increasingly occurring here in Austin, especially in the central/south area I live in.

So I've not done much research on how to get a replacement spring (I'm sure contacting Ohlins could sort that out rather quickly) for this bike. That being the case, I thought I'd ask people on this forum a)what spring should a 145 lb (that's in my birthday suit without a helmet on, so maybe 150-155 when I'm actually on the bike and clothed) rider use, and b) would anyone happen to have this spring and be willing to part with it (long shot, but worth a try).

Thanks in advance,
Josh

·
Registered
96 Posts

Josh
I believe that is a 36Nmm spring, equivalent to 206 lb. The information I got from Ohlins indicates that the standard 183lb spring is rated for a 155-175lb rider (clothed). They do sell a lighter springs at 171 and 160lbs.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Josh,
My PS is being worked on for the moment, including replacing the stock Ohlins spring for a heavier one.
If you're happy with the stock Ohlins spring, we can arrange something.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Josh,
My PS is being worked on for the moment, including replacing the stock Ohlins spring for a heavier one.
If you're happy with the stock Ohlins spring, we can arrange something.
Are you getting the work done at eurosports?
We should go riding some time, basically neighbors. There are a couple of us here in eastern pa. We can ride to van sant or something.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe that is a 36Nmm spring, equivalent to 206 lb. The information I got from Ohlins indicates that the standard 183lb spring is rated for a 155-175lb rider (clothed). They do sell a lighter springs at 171 and 160lbs.
Would anyone happen to have a lighter spring than the stock one? I don't know why you'd have a lighter one AND want to be getting rid of it for a heavier one, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Would anyone happen to have a lighter spring than the stock one? I don't know why you'd have a lighter one AND want to be getting rid of it for a heavier one, but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Not sure I get your question. It seems like you are on the bottom of the rider weight range for the standard spring. The next one down would be better than the stock spring rate.

The guy I talked to at ohlins was Jerry Wohlgemuth [email protected]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure I get your question. It seems like you are on the bottom of the rider weight range for the standard spring. The next one down would be better than the stock spring rate.

The guy I talked to at ohlins was Jerry Wohlgemuth [email protected]
My bad. It was kind of vague as to what I was asking, but I think you are correct in your assumption. I DO want the Ohlins spring that is one down from the stock spring. I was asking if anyone had this spring and if they'd want to trade it for my current spring (which is from the previous owner who weighed maybe 220 or so, making my current spring way too stiff for me). I doubt anyone would be willing to trade though, because if they had the spring that is 'one down' from the stock spring on their bike (meaning they had presumably spent money to correct their suspension from the stock setup) they would probably not be in the market for a spring oriented for a heavier (210+ lb) rider. That being said, maybe a large guy (or girl) bought a bike from a smaller person and wanted to trade.

So, any heavier folks who recently bought a bike from a lighter rider want to trade with someone who is small and bought a bike from someone who is big?

I hope that makes sense. I probably just made it even more puzzling.

Thanks,
josh

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
So, any heavier folks who recently bought a bike from a lighter rider want to trade with someone who is small and bought a bike from someone who is big?

It makes perfect sense...

I am 210... and have a PS with the stock spring. I guess i would trade with you, given that you, in fact, have a stiffer spring. Although, logistically it maybe complicated.

Eugene

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Josh I do have a stock spring that I would trade for you uprated spring let me know I'll get the numbers off my spring tonight also as not to confuse it is an ohlins rearshock, my sport classic has the ps suspension upgrade.

let me know.

Don

My bad. It was kind of vague as to what I was asking, but I think you are correct in your assumption. I DO want the Ohlins spring that is one down from the stock spring. I was asking if anyone had this spring and if they'd want to trade it for my current spring (which is from the previous owner who weighed maybe 220 or so, making my current spring way too stiff for me). I doubt anyone would be willing to trade though, because if they had the spring that is 'one down' from the stock spring on their bike (meaning they had presumably spent money to correct their suspension from the stock setup) they would probably not be in the market for a spring oriented for a heavier (210+ lb) rider. That being said, maybe a large guy (or girl) bought a bike from a smaller person and wanted to trade.

Thanks,
josh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts