Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ohlins rear shock absorber on my 2008 1100S hyper has been leaking for a while and I was just doing research on getting it serviced. I can't seem to find much info on it. Even on the ohlins site for product search, there isn't an option for ducati hyper motorcycles. Anyone have info on where is a good place to send the shock in or parts to repack myself? The ducati part number from the parts manual is 365.2.081.1A but even that I can't seem to find anything service related.

· Registered
1999 996 Biposto, 2002 Monster 620 Dark
1,495 Posts
You can send it to Ohlins they will rebuild it.

If you want to tackle it yourself there should be a part number and batch number stamped on the shock body at the top. The part number is what you will need to get the right parts.

I would probably start by contacting AMS Ducati or Ducati Omaha and ask them if there is a service kit available. Sometimes there are, sometimes there arent. Might even try Ohlins with the part# and see if they have parts available, they may as well.

· Registered
1999 996 Biposto, 2002 Monster 620 Dark
1,495 Posts
I will say I do maintenance myself on things that really financially make no sense for me to do it myself. But when the 996 and the Aprilia are back up and running and mechanically sound they will go to someone else to rebuild the forks and shocks. Sure I could do an oil change myself and call it good. But those springs are old... And probably not the best setup for my weight. So get it done right and not spend a small fortune on tools and something that wont need to be done again for who knows how long.

· Registered
144 Posts
Here in Germany I know a couple of shops who do rebuild and customizations, and not all of them are official Öhlins representations, so parts and knowledge seem to be available.
I had mine rebuilt by Box44 in Berlin and changed the spring from 90 to 100 Nm after a tip by Steve Jenkner (ex-125 racer) who runs an Öhlins shop at the Sachsenring. Massive improvement in ride quality and stability when accelerating out of corners.

· Registered
360 Posts
If you're in CA, send it to Kyle Racing to have rebuilt + proper spring for your weight and replace the stupid plastic preload collar with aluminum if it still has one. All the parts on the shock are standard Ohlins fare. Or look on the Ohlins USA site for other authorized Ohlins service centers near you.

· Registered
198 Posts
Hi,

It's a stx 46 or s46 shock if you want. S46PR1C1 specification. Du7460, you won't find anything online on this model. There is a work shop manual to be found on google for ohlins shocks and s46 shocks in general. They are all the same.

All you need to know is that this is a 16mm shaft, 46mm body with a 44mm internal seperator piston tube. K-tech sells a seal kit for you. I added a bush to the kit for the shim stack piston (the 46mm OD bush)

Servicing it yourself isn't too hard, but you will need some basic shock tools. This one will hand bleed pretty good, no need for fancy vacuum filler. You wil need to fill it with nitrogen in the end, I think it's 12 bar. I might do a little less.

· Registered
2004 ST4s, 2016 Panigale 1299S
27 Posts
Another very good suspension shop in the Midwest is Trackside Suspension & Engineering located in Wisconsin. If you are in the area you can drop off & pick up your stuff, or you can ship to them. Two of the folks that started TSE are now part of Ohlins USA's motorcycle support team and Scotty travels to all the MotoAmerica races to support Ohlins and the race teams, while Meghan is still running TSE.

· Premium Member
162 Posts
If you're in CA, send it to Kyle Racing to have rebuilt + proper spring for your weight and replace the stupid plastic preload collar with aluminum if it still has one. All the parts on the shock are standard Ohlins fare. Or look on the Ohlins USA site for other authorized Ohlins service centers near yo u.
Kyle racing also has a shop in Palm Coast Florida.
My 1100S was leaking and my local Ducati shop, Melillimoto, is an Ohlins Service Center. He is rebuilding may ST3S shock next.

· Registered
198 Posts
Apart from the nitrogen fill, which your local suspension shop or dealer should fix for a few bucks, I don't understand why people don't service theire rear shock themself on a regular basis. These stx ohlins units are easy to work on.

People don't run 10 year old rubber, so why 10 year old shock fluid, worn bush and stiff seals??

Doing it yourself pays in the long run. Sending it of to get serviced makes people skip this stuff.

I just bought myself a nitrogen tank :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts