Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock steering damper is toast and I need to replace it.

I did a search and of course most people say Ohlins is the way to go.

If it weren't for the price, then it would be almost a no brainer.

Any thoughts on the HyperPro or the Ducati Performance by Zaccarria(?).

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
Good question LuvDog. Some good detailed pics of the non-Ohlilns variety would be nice too.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have used the Hyper Pro on a R1. I loved it, adjustments on the fly were really easy, and it looked awesome.

·
Registered
372 Posts
i've got the hyperpro rsc on the duc and it has worked flawlessly for me during the year i've owned it. when i was in the market it seemed like the best bang for the buck and i've not been disappointed.

early hyperpros had a tendency to blow seals but this third generation one seems to have addressed those issues just like hyperpro claimed.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Hmm.. now what about this Scott unit? I know its more $$$ because you would have to buy the upper triple, but I kinda like it!

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
OK so we are an Ohlins dealer and biased. The AMA and WSBK guys use Ohlins as do the Moto GP bikes. I have never heard anyone complain about the Ohlins unit either. It is fully servicable and will last indefinitely. I think the Scotts and GPR rotarys are good too. We can get the Scotts unit. It will make the Ducati look like a cool MX bike ;-)

·
Registered
382 Posts
chiromikey

Do you have your hyperpro on a 748/916/996/998 series bike? I have a 998 and my stock damper gets to close to my tank. I'm looking to replace it and wanted something that has a smaller profile. Do you have pics of you damper?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Scotts=Ohlins...I even have pictures of a top mount where it says Scotts on top and Ohlins on the side..Oops! :D

Hyperpros makes great rear shocks. I had one on a GSXR 1000 and it cost more than the Ohlins..

I have Ohlins on my race bikes and they are always great, but I do think they are a bit overrated. I got them because of a great "sponsored" price at that time. I would really love to see what this Hyperpro top mount looks like too.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it were for my other bike, then I'd consider the scotts... but for the 916 I don't want to go with the rotary option.

I do remember past posts stating the old hyperpros could tend to leak... is that fixed?

·
Registered
372 Posts
sblea & catchinganupshift,

i'm at work but i'll take some pics and post them this evening. there is no problem with clearance at all on my 748r.

LuvDog,

yes, the new rsc series has multiple (3, iirc) seals to prevent leaks. so far the leaks that plagued hyperpro's 1st and 2nd generation dampers have not been a problem with their new ones.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, a friend had a GPR blow a seal coming out of 6 at Laguna on his slick new R6...not good. Unfortunately, that bike is so new there are no other options although apparently Ohlins has been testing their setup long enough that a production version should arrive within 2 weeks.

I had a HyperPro blow up on my 996 on track day at Buttonwillow. Scared the $#@% out of me! I do not know what generation it was, cylinder was black with gold lettering and gold anodized adjuster knob. I don't know if I would go back to them even if they have updated design. Even before it blew, damping was not as smooth and linear as an Ohlins cylindrical type and adjustment steps were not even.

I recently spent a few hot laps on a friends Supersport 1000 that was fitted with an Arrow damper. That thing was like butta! Really smooth and yet somehow invisible. Could easily muscle bike around the tight Infineon-Sears track yet never felt a hint of wobble. Don't have a clue if Arrow is more costly than Ohlins or visa versa but I'd choose either one knowing I probably have about as good of damper as I'll hopefully ever need. Take care.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about DP (Zaccaria) Steering Dampers? I also want to upgrade... I have a 998 & a SS1000DS, and the Zaccaria seems to have a very small price advantage... but would like to know how adjustable they are, and how they compare to Öhlins. I just think about these two for upgrades since I would like to keep the bikes as close as original with only OEM or factory-apprived items. I also saw in the DP catalogues a "carbon" steering damper for both models... it looks as a BiTubo, but not sure... it seems even more expensive than Öhlins... any knowledge/wisdom/recommendations? :)

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Never priced them before, so don't know how good of a deal this is, but AMS has the DP ones on sale for $195 right now...

http://www.advancedmotorsports.com/store/showitem.aspx?pid=902

And FWIW, I've personally known three people (actually two people but three different examples) who have had major problems with Hyperpros. Maybe they are better these days, but I would still be quite leary.

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
I had a hyperpro on my 853 and it worked great...something happened to the adjustability, but it still worked great. I've also had a WER and it was outstanding. Ohlins ain't bad neither.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
I have been searching for various dampers. I wanted a Arrow Ti for my 748. You would have better luck finding a 4 leaf clover! I found out Arrow was made by Matris. Also DP used Matris for some of their dampers. Matris is no longer being imported into the States. I ended up getting a deal on a Ohlins from a buddy selling his bike. I havent road tested it yet... but I cant wait to test it with the full Penske suspension.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts