Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys,

Checked a few of the old threads but wanted to get a more definitive answer here. Looking to swap out my suspension on the 848 for Ohlins. Obviously the rear shock appears to be fairly plug and play. In terms of the front forks... does anyone know the process for making that work? I'm going to work with a good local shop to make It happen and I'm sure they'll have input, but I wanted to get a sense of what is going to be needed to make the swap fit. Any input would be great. cheers!

Obligatory photos of bike to make this thread more interesting...

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
The part numbers for the triple clamps are different for the 848SF and the 1098S SF. I would think that you'll need the triple clamps for a 1098S SF to make the Ohlins conversion work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
What? A lady ask for help here and there's not 5 pages of reply? Where are the sharks? 🦈

Yes rear is straight forward, front need triples, maybe just the lower one. If the top one need to be changed that may pose problem with the stock steering damper.

Most important get springs for your weight. If it's you on the pictures you definitely need lighter springs and the ohlins, set aside the bling factor, will not make a huge difference in handling over well adjusted stock.

·
Bon Vivant
11,458 Posts
If it's you on the pictures you definitely need lighter springs and the ohlins, set aside the bling factor, will not make a huge difference in handling over well adjusted stock.
They may not make much difference in handling but the ride and comfort from a set of ohlins will be much improved. A lot of riders think better suspension means riding faster but for me better suspension is better in all circumstances and especially for just everyday cruising. I've found the OEM Ohlins to give a much more supple ride while maintaining a firm and sporty feeling. But they dont make me any faster.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
A good setup, springs and adjustment cost what maybe 500$? And will get her 95% there. The last 5% is expensive (better components, valving, ohlins swap 2k+?).

I know you have a tuono v4 and I regularly ride with a buddy who have one, not factory no ohlins. When we swap bikes, I think my bike handle better and he think his bike handle better. Mostly because of our 30 pounds difference and the fact our bikes are well adjusted for us.

Setup his tuono for me and it would be pretty close I'm sure.

If someone make an ohlins swap for look then perfect go for it. If you await spectacular improvement in handling over a well adjusted oem setup, you may be disappointed. But if you go from non-adjusted oem to ohlins springed for you, difference will be night and day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts