Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Customer of mine who just received his 1198 in Dubai was just notified that there is a fork recall and that's how his lower fork looks like, worst one I have seen so far.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
Picture is blurry, but you can still see the hugh crack. I wonder if all of their components are made in house or are they sourced out. Sound familiar? I know a former design engineer for a known bathroom and kitchen accessories manufacturer. They decided to have their products made in China and by doing so took a big chance. What happens often over there is theft of proprietory information, and in the case of the faucet company one of the Chinese employees at the foundry skimmed 10% of a raw material and pocketed the difference. The products then started showing up pitted with rust spots. A full on audit disclosed what was going on. The engineer guy told me instead of doing direct business with China they now go through Taiwan. Taiwan has enforceable patent and proprietory agreements with mainland China, so they act now as company agents and brokers for the faucet company. He warned me not to go direct with China and despite these warnings we went ahead and did so. Our business is totally different and only a fraction of what the faucet company does. I went over there and hired an agent to handle our affairs, referred by the faucet engineer and she has been with us now for almost 8 years. She watches over things pretty closely. In fact I've heard her on the phone talking in Chinese with a source that makes a part for us and it sounded like she was going to cut his head off. Very aggressive lady, a Chinese version of a battleaxe. Even so, there is much piracy and attempts to knock off our products, some of it is very funny because of the language mess ups. For example, in one label instead of the word "shine" they put "sniff"

·
Registered
205 Posts
We need to all make a concious effort to STOP BUYING CHINESE PRODUCTS!

Flash

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Uh, I'd love to know how to implement that theory.

It'd be pretty damn hard to live not buying Chinese assembled products, let alone those with Chinese componenents.

The US is just about screwed into be being a Starbucks (consumer) nation.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most 09' 1098S/1198S/1098R& Streetfighter S. DNA had a detailed list with the vin #'s that they fall into. Somewhere here on the forum was a post about it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Because all that come from china is "bootleg quality", crap....sometimes dangerous.
When you buy low cost.....you expect to this. When you buy expensiv stuff and then discover it has been made by slaves in a communist hell......you've only one thing to ask: refund.

I don't know where these ohlins come from, but for sure they don't come from europe.

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
Total ignorance, not worth the time. Focus on the issue at hand(the recall)
They are, just deducing the cause thats all. The Chinese factor superceeds all else, it has more emotional appeal. I would and so would many others like to know where the piece was manufactured. Finding that out opens more doors as to the questions of who, when, where and how.

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
We need to all make a concious effort to STOP BUYING CHINESE PRODUCTS!

Flash
But man, nothing would be left on the shelves at Wal Mart if your suggestion were inacted.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Scary crack.

I hope everyone affected receives notice of the recall.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Who talk about ignorance? I'm in the business, pal. I can tell you i've encountered major issues with chinese products. I don't know where these "low cost" ohlins are made, but it smells MADE IN LAOGAI.
So the question is: WHERE do these oem ohlins come from?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
According to its website, 80% of Ohlins' suppliers are Swedish with 20% other European countries and Asia.

We will just have to wait and see where this specific part was made. In the meantime, let's not assume or speculate. It could have been made in any of the above countries.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I always thought that those end lugs looked alittle thin.

It's not doubt cracked from the hoop tensile stress from tightening onto the axle. Not enough meat to carry the load.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts