Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just investigating the Ohlins shock options for the SC, and found out that there are two different shocks for the SC monoposto / PS.

It turns out that Ducati specs a steel-bodied shock, and that this is the one that you buy from DP, or that came with the PS. The steel is identified by the trivalent chromate (gold) body, and the aluminum is natural color. Also turns out that all of these are made to order, and you can specify different springs or finishing if you order from Ohlins and not through DP (cheaper too).

Can monoposto / PS owners tell me what your bike has, and is there any reason that I wouldn't opt for the aluminum ($40 more)?

Thanks

·
Registered
666 Posts
The 2009 DP part catalog shows only one shock for 06 mono. Its the same shock that's on the Paul Smart, P/N 36520641A. It's all aluminum except for the shaft and spring.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I should have been more clear.

It appears you can only order the steel shock from Ducati Performance. However, if you buy from Ohlins, you can get the same shock, with an aluminum body. This information is supposedly from Ohlins themselves.

Since DP doesn't stock this part, each one is made to order. If you order though Ohlins, you can get the aluminum part, and also specify the spring and valving. With DP, you get only one option. In addition, the DP part is significantly more expensive.

Are you sure that the DP shock, with the gold body is all aluminum? I was told, much like with the PS forks, that the DP SC suspension parts are not the same as what Ohlins would sell you directly.

Just looking for confirmation that someone else has heard the same thing? Is there any reason not to go with aluminum for this bike?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
My questions would be:

Are you SURE they are absolutely identical (other than the material)?

and

What is the weight difference?

I can't imagine how one could make the decision without those two pieces of information.

·
Registered
666 Posts
SE84, I'm on my second rear shock (warranty) it looks like the one in the right picture. While my original shock looked like the one in the left picture. So go figure!

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SE84, I'm on my second rear shock (warranty) it looks like the one in the right picture. While my original shock looked like the one in the left picture. So go figure!
I guess that having the steel part go bad is a vote for the aluminum one.

Thank you for checking, this seems to verify that there are two different parts.

Have you had any trouble with the replacement shock?

·
Registered
666 Posts
The problem with the old shock was a blown seal, I guess its cheaper to replace the $1889.99 shock, than to rebuild it. I've only got about 60 miles on the new one. Haven't even set it up yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Could you please tell me the Ohlins part numbers of these two because I can not find them on Ohlins website? thanks a lot

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello,

you will not find the parts on the Öhlins website.

They do a shock for the MH900eV which is very similar to the PS unit but the angle of the gas piggy back in relation to the mounting bolt is different.

They call it a DU 106

If you need info in a hurry speak to Dan Kyle or Peter Hegemann

http://www.shop.kyleusa.com/main.sc

http://www.peter-hegemann.de/

if you can wait a while then mail Öhlins direct

if you have all the time in the world and some speak to ducati

Ducati will tell you there are no spare parts through themselves but all ohlins

spares are available through Ohlins

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Could you please tell me the Ohlins part numbers of these two because I can not find them on Ohlins website? thanks a lot
There are no Ohlins part numbers for this shock, at least not offfically. The reason is that they produce them in such limited numbers, that they are all made to order if you ask for a PS/S1K shock.

PM me for contact info for the shop I'm using.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts