Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 916 I want to replace the linkage adjacent to the rear Ohlin, the bottom eye nut is a bit weathered so I bout a new one. The issue I ran into is in order to take it off I need to raise the rear shock. Its currently compressed fully and causing the sub frame to overlap the top screw of the linkage. I was planning on just using my adjustment tool and Turing it back out to raise it up... but I can not figure out where to fit this thing in to turn it. No angle when compressed seems does it seem to be able to get it and turn it, the tool is hitting the frame or the shock from either side I go to.

I am assuming that like most bikes this should be readily adjustable so I must be missing something on how to fit the tool in and still have room to turn it.. can anyone point me in the direction of what I am doing wrong, or let me know if there is something more I need to do to get access to it?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Are you trying to adjust the big ring for shock spring preload? That has no effect on anything but preload. It's not going to help you raise or lower any suspension component. If you're trying to get to top joint of the shock, there is just enough clearance in the little triangle space in the sub frame near the key to get a socket allen head tool in there. Might be hidden behind the wiring harness. If you're trying to get at the top joint of the adjustable link rod, same thing. There is just enough room to get an allen socket tool in there. If that allen is somehow hidden by the frame due to ride height adjustment, you'd have to adjust the link rod a bit, but I think it would have to be pretty extreme setting on one end or the other of its adjustment range to mask that allen head screw.

Be sure you have the bike supported before pulling the shock or link rod! I go under the rear sets with automotive jack stands.

Reactions: CinKo

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
once the rear is supported and the suspension fully dropped you should be able to get to them. but if not, and you can remove the top sock bolt (should be able to get to it) and that will allow you to move the swingarm up and down and with that rotate the rocker to give you access while also still having the linkage all "fixed" enough to allow you to undo bolts.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
That’s a bunch of dinking around for a weathered nut.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, didn't even think about just jacking the bike up and letting the rear hang that will almost definitely fix my issue. And I already bought an entire replacement rod with both eye nuts on there in stainless steel. I wasn't expecting it to be such a undertaking I thought it was just two bolts getting pulled out... everything on this bike seems to be more of a task to do and I would have originally assumed ...lol

·
Premium Member
5,738 Posts
Thanks guys, didn't even think about just jacking the bike up and letting the rear hang that will almost definitely fix my issue. And I already bought an entire replacement rod with both eye nuts on there in stainless steel. I wasn't expecting it to be such a undertaking I thought it was just two bolts getting pulled out... everything on this bike seems to be more of a task to do and I would have originally assumed ...lol
It may not seem it to us, but these are "old" Italian bikes... I go into every maintenance task assuming that it will take me at least 2X as long as I think it will. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I want to install a longer rear linkage. Just bought an ST4S, and the guy was short and replaced the stock linkage with a shorter one. He included the original.

Is there a video of this task being performed? I checked Youtube.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
If you don’t want to hang the bike, swap the pegs and carriers over (left to right) and use a couple of jack stands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts