Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1098 (not an s) with adjustable Showa suspension. The previous owner said the suspension was sent out and refreshed with Ohlin parts. Is that even possible? It does have an Ohlin sticker on them, but not convinced that means anything more than somebody put stickers on them.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
You can put Ohlins internals in those. Not unheard of. It just comes down to whether there is a receipt or if you believe them.

Reactions: UNLEASHED

·
Registered
116 Posts
The bare minimum Ohlins upgrade to the front would be the valves and springs. And even that is not a significant upgrade. The next level would be Ohlins cartridges. This you can actually see on the top of the forks.

The rear shock spring can be upgraded, but your has not.

Im willing to bet that its all factory stock, with Ohlins stickers applied.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Judging by the dry rot and cracking on the fork dust seals, if there was work done it was years ago. I would service the forks regardless, and while you're in there you can see what...if anything was done.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the forks maybe, but I doubt you could (or would) 'Ohlinise' a Showa shock?

I'd assume they're just stickered until proven otherwise...

That's what I'm going to assume. I will service them and see...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wouldnt bother servicing the rear shock, at all, ever. The factory unit is a paperweight.

Look on ebay for a used 1089S Ohlins shock. You can find them for around 300-400 bucks. Its a significant upgrade....

If youre gonna service the forks, I highly recomment spending the $99 bucks for the correct springs for your weight. New oil and seals and dust caps.

Then have it all installed, and have rider and static sag setup for you. Its gonna feel amazing for short money. Good luck.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldnt bother servicing the rear shock, at all, ever. The factory unit is a paperweight.

Look on ebay for a used 1089S Ohlins shock. You can find them for around 300-400 bucks. Its a significant upgrade....

If youre gonna service the forks, I highly recomment spending the $99 bucks for the correct springs for your weight. New oil and seals and dust caps.

Then have it all installed, and have rider and static sag setup for you. Its gonna feel amazing for short money. Good luck.

Thank you for the advice, next stop, EBay!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I dont wanna come across as a know-it-all. It just that Ive had three 848's and an 1198. Two racebikes and 2 streetbikes. Ive been thru the suspension game :)

Good luck and when youre all sorted let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No worries, it's the reason I posted my question! I appreciate the experienced opinion.
I have decided to pull the forks and shock and send them to Traxxion dynamics. They will pull apart, re-spring and valve for my weight. Will also tell me if the stock shock is even worth it, I may buy an Ohlin rear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts