Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired a new to me GT1000 and I instantly fell in love. But one ride in the hills made one thing very clear - the suspension and wheels are trash. I have sourced a set of black 3 spoke wheels that I'm just about to have installed. I really hate to lose the look of the spoke wheels and I find it very difficult to jump on the Alpina bandwagon. With Alpina I'm paying the price of the Carrozzeria wheels but for only a 28% weight loss vs 48% if I went with the 10 spoke Carrozzeria. I hate my the choices. Gain poser points and lose performance? Thats one hell of a tough sell. Ohhh it hurts :abduct:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I know, it a tuff choice, I keep changing my mind but leaning toward the poser points as it is a retro bike. They look great either way. I need a second bike...haha

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Did the forged 999R wheels, which I think are around the same weight as the Carrozzeria's... I like the look (granted it's a S1k not a GT, black on black), and the improvement in riding is just fantastic

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have recently acquired a new to me GT1000 and I instantly fell in love. But one ride in the hills made one thing very clear - the suspension and wheels are trash. I have sourced a set of black 3 spoke wheels that I'm just about to have installed. I really hate to lose the look of the spoke wheels and I find it very difficult to jump on the Alpina bandwagon. With Alpina I'm paying the price of the Carrozzeria wheels but for only a 28% weight loss vs 48% if I went with the 10 spoke Carrozzeria. I hate my the choices. Gain poser points and lose performance? Thats one hell of a tough sell. Ohhh it hurts :abduct:
Same, same. Today I'm thinking I'll go with Carrozzerias. But next week it might be the Alpinas.

Anyone got a pic of a GT with the Carrozzerias ?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same, same. Today I'm thinking I'll go with Carrozzerias. But next week it might be the Alpinas.

Anyone got a pic of a GT with the Carrozzerias ?
You can do a google image search for that. Some cool bikes come up but they just do nit look as good as wires imho. I really want the spokes, just not the fat that comes with it. I like the weight of the carrozzerias but it's about maintaining the retro look. Oy.

6,048 Posts
FWIW a little insight.
Supermoto racers prefer Spoke Tubeless wheels because it flexes and responds better then Marchesini's or other Mag wheels. They feel in tight turns the alpina's are more responsive and give better control compared to the Mags. In jumps they feel more secure especially with landings.
The reason the Supermoto and MX racers in the USA are using forged is not because of weight but because the mags are cheaper. Most tell me they want Alpina's, they juts can't afford it.
Hence we have a racer program in place to help them.
Mitch Hansen of HMC Racing swears by Alpina for all his KTM racer builds. In Europe the majority of championship teams and riders like and use Alpina.

Also Mags tend to crack and the whole wheel becomes useless whereas if the spoke wheels dents, loses or breaks a spoke all you have to do is replace what is damaged rather then replace the whole wheel.
A while back Chris Gorel used our Alpina wheels for his legendary Thunder Duc. These wheels proved to be excellent for his racing purpose
So Alpina is not just a "Poser" wheel. It is a valid player in Racing and Street. Form and Function :)

The majority of the WEIGHT of Alpina is at the Center, at the hub, and when spinning the centrifugal force make the wheels even lighter. the Alloy rim, alloy nipples keep the weight off the outer edge.
The Carbon Matrix STS Shaves a full pound off the Old A-system wheel and the STS Alloy rim wheel where it counts, on the outer edge

If you ever get a chance to ride a SC or any Bike equipped with a set of Alpina's you will find it is a remarkable difference from the Stock tube type wheels and competitive to other wheels on our beloved Sport Classics

On a side note.
All European Motorcycles and Bicycles have ALPINA nipples and Spokes if they have Spoke wheels on them. KTM, Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, Husqvarna, Ducati etc etc Cances are it is Alpina Raggi
95% of Alpina's business is with providing spokes and nipples world wide. They have the special machines that no one else has that produce spokes and nipples. The Wheel division is small and is a passion for the owner of the company
They also make private brand vintage car spokes and racing spokes for Bicycles. I saw stuff that i am not allowed to mention and was not allowed to photograph.
But believe me next time you see spokes on a wheel there is a good chance it is made by Alpina.

Last year when Alpina invited me to visited Italy for EICMA and for a Factory tour. I was amazed at the vastness and the size of Alpina Raggi as a company. 3 generations of privately owned family run Business since before World war II. I have a picture of the first spoke making machine invented by Mr Cappellotto's grandfather. looks like a Howitzer
The Owner Guido Capellotto was a kind and gracious host while I was there. On my Last day there I was invited to his private home, on the old Bugatti Family estate, and had dinner with his family, friends and employee's. warm and kind people. His wife actually cooked! My impression was everyone was involved and liked what they were doing.

anyway
Like Alpina, Not Like Alpina?
The Static weight may seem to make these wheels low performers
On the contrary I think you will find them simply amazing once you are speeding along and take you first tight turn

Just my two and a half cents plus a buck or two
Cheers
JC

BTW
No hard feelings. I know alpina's are not for everyone.
Just for very special people ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone raced/street tested both types rims (Alpina STS alloy vs mags) on an SC? Whats been your experience on how they compared in acceleration, stability, cornering feel etc...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I put Alpinas onto my GT.
The transformation in handling was dramatic.
I'm sure mag wheels are lighter,but I really like the retro look of the spokes.
My view was once you put mags on a GT you might as well buy a monster.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I put Alpinas onto my GT.
The transformation in handling was dramatic.
I'm sure mag wheels are lighter,but I really like the retro look of the spokes.
My view was once you put mags on a GT you might as well buy a monster.
Agreed! The tank and spokes make this bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts