Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go out early this morning for a nice "it's not raining" Sunday morning ride with a buddy of mine. Since I am working on the 996 rebuild, I take out my black beauty 750ss. We take off towards Wickenberg(just north west of my house in Peoria), and hit some tastey twisties jst west of the town.

Nice ride out there and had some fun, saw some other sportbike guys riding too, soaking up the roads.

After we get back into town, we hit up a Denny's for some breakfast and coffee, rest our wrists, then proceed to hit the road towards the homebase. Up to this point, it's a great day. Then it happens:

BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I immediately think my motor grenades, but the rear wheel doesn't lock up, not to mention my bike spins up to 8K immediately. I pull the clutch, chop the throttle, and proceed to coast. All happened in less than a second, BTW. I look down to see NO CHAIN! I look back to see my chain sliding on down the road. Slightly freaked, I coast to the side of the road. All of you PHX guys who know the road(HWY 60 between Wickenberg and Lake Pleasant), there is NOTHING there.

My riding buddy sees me not behind him and comes back around, but has to go a few miles due to no turn around break in the HWY. I call Progressive and they get me a tow truck(with a motorcycle trailer :D ) to get me home. +1 so far for Progressive.

The result:

My CF rear fender TOAST! My CF mufflers TOAST! Ouch, that hurt. I haven't been able to get a good look at my case yet, but the sprocket cover looks OK from the outside and I don't want to touch the bike until the adjuster get here, to play it safe. I look into the cover at the case and there are obvious scars on the case where the chain hit the engine case.

One things is for sure, I am glad I was doing the speed limit at the time. I was going about 65mph, 5th gear at about 4200rpms-ish, I think. We were on the way home, following a minivan at the time, so I know I was in the ballpark.

What did I learn from this? For one, if you have custom bits on the bike, insure them. I have an additional $10K custom coverage on the SS for this reason, and it only cost me an additional $153 per 6 months. Secondly, I love CF bits. I can only imagine what would have happened if it was the stock plastic. Lastly, NEVER forget your cellphone. If my buddy didn't have his I would've been screwed until someone pulled over to help me. OH BTW, it's monsoon season, so about 100 degrees and like 70% humidity, yum!

I'm guessing the frame may have been safe due to my mufflers being under seat design, so they may have taken the brunt of the chain impact, besides the fender. I'm glad it didn't lock into my rear wheel, or my left leg. That would've SUCKED!

We'll see what happens when the adjuster looks at it this week. I'm guessing, best case scenario; replace mufflers and rear fender, sprockets and chain, about $2200.00. Worst case; replace motor(cases), rear wheel, sprockets, fender, mufflers, $ya, right. I'll be buying her back with a salvage title, pulling the motor and getting to work.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Hey Brian...did you go grab the chain?? Any idea or indicatons what caused the failure?? Good luck with your insurance too. Hope it all works out.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Insurance for mechanical breakdown? Your chain broke but you didn't crash did you? I don't see grounds for a claim. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
galaxy said:
Hey Brian...did you go grab the chain?? Any idea or indicatons what caused the failure?? Good luck with your insurance too. Hope it all works out.
Jon: No, I didn't go back. It flew off into the bush on the side of the highway and I wasn't going to test my highway crossing luck.

ST4R: Honestly, as far as the claim, I'm not sure how it's going to turn out with the insurance company. If anything, it may fall into the comprehensive but I would imagine it depends why the chain snapped, and come to think of it, it may have been a good idea to get the chain.

Ric: Ironically, I was going to order one for the 996 during the rebuild. Will be definitely buying one for the SS.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wow... I guess... its hard to say and probably even harder to hear, but be glad the chain didn't get caught up in the wheel.

As a side note... I just ordered and received a case saver for my 916 and I'm going to put it on this week.

·
Chilehead
6,979 Posts
gavin said:
Does anybody know where to get a case saver for a 2006 SS1000? All of the ones I've found so far exclude it. I'm planning on regearing soon and I'm a little nervous about my chain riveting skills.
The one from DesmoTimes works on my 2003, and there's no differences between the 2003 and 2006 that I'm aware of, other than frame color.

Tom

·
Registered
71 Posts
That sucks. I had that happen to me on my way to work about 4 years ago. Heard the bang, engine revved up, and I saw the chain pass me in the left lane. I was on the Hwy 99 Viaduct in Seattle, Southbound, just south of the Battery St. tunnel. Was able to coast down far enough to where the viaduct turned right slightly, they had a wide spot on the side (there is no shoulder on the viaduct) just wide enough for me to park the bike. I called a tow truck right away and got to sit there while the hoards of commuters glared at me as they passed. After about 45 minutes a cop pulled up and asked what was happening, then he parked behind me with his flashers on to keep cars away, and let me sit in his car while we waited for the tow truck. My master link then was just clipped on, but I made sure the replacement was riveted, and fortunately there was no damage to the rest of the bike. A slight scar on the swing arm was all it got.

And of course this happened 2 days after my truck's trans locked up for good on me, and I had no other transportation at the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chain Carnage

Brian,

I've not been on this site that long and have been a bit of a 'lurker' over the past few weeks... but I had to respond to your unfortunate incident this weekend. The same thing happened to me little over a year ago and caused quite a bit of carnage (see attached pics).

A dealer (name withheld...) fitted the wrong chain to my bike and two weeks later it broke. These guys stood by their mistake and replaced the sprocket carrier, chain tensioner and swingarm. I share your pain mate and hope you get things worked out. Good news? It's only mechanical, at least your okay... I barely kept my one upright - the skid mark tells the story...

Good luck.
RC

Attachments

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input and stories guys. I'm pretty sure I had the DiD gold 520 on the SS, Sean. It was put on during the last rebuild on the SS.

One theory I have (worth about $0.02) is the something got caught in the chain and sprocket from underneath(road debris). I looked into my front sprocket with my flashlight and noticed my front sprocket has a tooth that looks like it has been partially sheared. I can't really tell until the adjuster comes by tomorrow and I remove the cover. The chain had to have broke from the countershaft sprocket area as it hit my muffler(underseat, so at least a foot above the chain).

I pondered what happened yesterday and basically realized, if something caused the incident, it's covered, if it was just a chain malfunction, I'm paying for it. I'll know tomorrow. Gonna be expensive either way.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update!

Apparently, something was found to disturb the chain as I just received a comprehensive check. Insurance company camr to the house, took pics, asjed some questions, was very polite, then left.

Next I know, check in the mail. Looks like my baby will be back on the road again soon. :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
tech7fab said:
A dealer (name withheld...) fitted the wrong chain to my bike and two weeks later it broke. These guys stood by their mistake and replaced the sprocket carrier, chain tensioner and swingarm.
They no doubt consider themselves bloody lucky you settled for that!

This was a potentially fatal mistake on their part. Many people (including me) would have sued their arses off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts