Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what we need. A show on stunt riding that will just encourage all the squids, get the police after our asses, and make the public pissed off:

SPEED TV Press release May 30, 2006:

SPEED ADDS NEW, HIGH-ENERGY MOTORCYCLE LIFESTYLE SHOW – SUPER BIKES!

ROSSI MORREALE TO HOST; WORLD FAMOUS STUNT RIDER JASON BRITTON TO SERVE AS FIELD CORRESPONDENT

SUPER BIKES! TO BE ON SPEED VOD, BROADBAND & MOBILE

SPEED will premiere its new fast-paced motorcycle lifestyle show -- Super Bikes! -- on June 27 at 9 p.m. ET. Hosted by popular television personality Rossi Morreale, the 30-minute weekly program will mirror the high-energy, edgy lifestyle of today’s young motorcycle enthusiasts.

“It is said that motorcycling isn’t about the destination, but the journey,” said Rick Miner, SPEED SVP of Programming/Production. “Today, those types of journeys have increased 10-fold. Super Bikes! will bring viewers stories from the forefront of today’s motorcycling lifestyle, maybe even creating a few along the way.”

"I love riding bikes, learning about bikes, and meeting people who live on bikes … three reasons why I'm gonna love this show,” said Morreale, who has hosted and served as a correspondent on such shows as EXTRA and Junkyard Mega-Wars.

Red-hot Hollywood stunt rider Jason Britton will be the Super Bikes! field reporter, taking viewers inside the extreme lifestyles of today’s young riders. Britton, whose stunt riding has appeared in multiple movies and television commercials, will visit sport bike hot spots, events, tracks, back roads, urban streets … anywhere in the world where young riders congregate to share their passion for speed on two wheels.

SPEED will make Super Bikes! available on multiple platforms, with full episode on SPEED VOD and program clips available on SPEEDtv.com and SPEED mobile.

Super Bikes! will be co-produced by WATV Productions, producers of popular SPEED programs Behind the Headlights and American Thunder.

http://www.speedtv.com/speed/press.php?p=25575

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
c'mon this is appropriate for NASCAR TV, instead of promoting WSBK, MotoGP or other structured racing classes, they want to see squids breaking the law,This is almost as entertaining as hillbillies driving in a circle!

Hopefully one day MotoGP will be as popular in America as in Europe!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bear in mind that only the people who WANT to see this anyway will pay to download/watch it. It's not in their regular broadcast lineup.

Think of it as 'webisodes' if that helps any.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You have to wonder if a show about wanna be stunters and squids will do no more than perpetuate all the negative images about sportbike riders.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mapless said:
Bear in mind that only the people who WANT to see this anyway will pay to download/watch it. It's not in their regular broadcast lineup.

Think of it as 'webisodes' if that helps any.

I looked it up on SquidTV, and the site says the new stunter show will be part of the regular lineup it first airs at:

Tue, Jun 27 9:00PM
Tue, Jun 27 1:00AM
Wed, Jun 28 9:30AM
Wed, Jun 28 8:30PM

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/454/

·
Registered
96 Posts
There was a stunt show a couple towns away from me. I avoided it like the plague. Cop density was directly proportional to distance of stunt show. I could tell when it was over because squid central took over my local riding routes (169, 198, 101, 44, etc....)

Nothing like seeing a bunch of liter bike riders in shorts, t-shirts, and sneakers thinking they can ride. I was even harassed for wearing my leathers when I was getting gas. I was told I was "stupid" for wearing that munch gear.

More reasons for the cops to hate us.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Coming from someone that can do most of the crap the "stuntaz" can do, I still like watching the people with real skills perform. I wince when I see people wreck since I know how much it hurts, in fact I can't even watch some of the recent stunt videos with people wrecking in shorts and a t-shirt since it makes me nauseous.

I don't think that another show is going to do anything to hurt the motorcycling community since we don't have a good rep anyway. I've been harassed most of my motorcycling life, I just accept that it goes with the territory.

Hell one of the reasons I want an S4Rs is so that I can get back to my hooligan roots. Although you won't see me pulling standup wheelies or rolling stoppies in traffic though. Even when I was young and had poorer judgement, I rarely did anything like that. There are just too many unforseen variables on the street.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Synergy said:
almost as entertaining as hillbillies driving in a circle!
Straight, left, straight, left, straight, left, straight, left, straight, left, straight, left, straight, left.

After enough practice, they can manage two consecutive thoughts. :sleep:

Anyways, at least the show is a good break from "Build yet another Harley with dramatic time implications and personal drama". Geez, I'd watch anything after enough of that crap.

Hmmm, Turn Left, Go straight, build Harley, Repeat.... Now they are up to three.

·
Registered
269 Posts
MarcP said:
I looked it up on SquidTV, and the site says the new stunter show will be part of the regular lineup it first airs at:

Tue, Jun 27 9:00PM
Tue, Jun 27 1:00AM
Wed, Jun 28 9:30AM
Wed, Jun 28 8:30PM

http://www.speedtv.com/programs/454/
Weird, when this first 'broke' it was specified this was an 'extras' kind of show, and NOT part of their regular lineup. I haven't kept up with it since that initial blurb since well, I just don't give much of a damn.

I figure I'll save SpeedTV for my post-prefrontal lobotomy days, or for when I get a prescription for Thorazine, 'till then I'll just watch the ant fights or something. It's more interesting.

·
Registered
130 Posts
well, i'll wait and see before i declare it for "squid stuntaz, yo". it might be ok; you might just find that all younger riders that stunt aren't dirtbags that run from cops and pretend to be like the guys in "biker boyz", etc. just like all ducati riders aren't snobby, judgemental, non-skilled knobs that like to drop way too much money into performance that they'll never use or be able to use because they are old, unadventurous and hardly ever push their bikes. it sucks, but i hear that sort of thing alot, especially since i just picked up a base model 749 a year ago (and i absolutely love it, btw). i guess we should all be more informed before judging and be careful before letting the stereotypes fly---unless of course we're talking about p.o.s. harleys :D which suck on all levels :D (kind of joking)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I’m not really into bashing the stunt riders, I think what they do requires as much skill as anything out there. I enjoy watching them.
What makes me any better when I ride my Xerox out on a stretch of twisty road balls to the wall dragging my knees on the corners? I mean that is what I bought it for, not to put in a room to admire it. Funny thing is, when I ride this stretch of road I am talking about, it takes me to a summit that I turn around and come back down on. All the traffic that I passed, on corners, straights, didn’t matter, just needed to get around them, I get to pass by the opposite direction. And instead of sticking their hands out the window and flipping me off, I get a number of them giving me the Thumbs Up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I agree that stunting takes an enourmous amout of skill. What Christian Pfieffer can do is just jaw-dropping. I'd like to take lessons from that guy.

There's a big difference between doing Pfieffer's stunts in a parking lot and the idiots doing standup wheelies on the freeway. I suppose that still takes some skill, but it's ruining public attitudes about the rest of us. Or the guys talking smack at the local bar and doing burnouts in the street with their Hayabusas. That takes no skill at all and ruins public attitudes about the rest of us.

I'm betting the show will be more about chrome Hayabusas doing burnouts and less about guys like Pfieffer. I guess I have to agree to hold my criticism until the show airs and we can see whether it is SpeedTV or SquidTV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts