Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh no! My brakes! '06 749. Please offer suggestions

Please reply with some sort of suggestion. :(

Hey Im new here, new to ducati lovin', and new to riding bikes in general. My first bike is a red 749 06 biposto and its a great ride.

Im having a problem with my brakes. For one, should the brembos ALWAYS be making that Bzzzzzzz sound? Secondly, today I was riding the bike relatively hard as Ive just gotten to one of the breakin milestones, the rear brake makes a loud ringing BooooooOOp(like a car with bad brakes) whenever Im breaking relatively lightly at about 0-15 mph. What is going on?

Also if your up to the challenge Im interested in converting it to a monoposto but I cant find that little leather piece that fits into the mono tail peice at the back of the rider seat :p... anyway brakes are more important right now.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
the front ''hissing'' is normal.the rear is likely dirt and dust,blow the rear caliper out and or pull the pads to clean them.lots of options for the rear cowl,from a seat cowl to full rear cowl to the mono cowl with subframe ,search and you should find something to fit your budget.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The only sound my brakes make is when i'm pushing my bike into the garage and I can hear a slight scrapping sound of the pads on the discs (In the front only)! Now your problem of moving and appling the brakes, that just flat-out sounds wrong!!!! get it in and pull the calipersand have a tec check!!! One thing I learned is that some things are best backed by a pro! I installed some after market brake/ clutch leavers and I didn't set the depth corretly and found myself on the side of the road a block and a half away from my house with a messed-up leg because the front locked up. Get er done!

·
Registered
174 Posts
kaos said:
the front ''hissing'' is normal.the rear is likely dirt and dust,blow the rear caliper out and or pull the pads to clean them.lots of options for the rear cowl,from a seat cowl to full rear cowl to the mono cowl with subframe ,search and you should find something to fit your budget.
Just so...I've got a 749R and the fronts hiss and I've ridden 999S, same deal. Squealing rear is usually dust, same as clutch squeal.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Yes brembos sizzle when applied. Squeeling could be from dirt like the others said or they could have a slight glaze on them. Pull the pads and clean them. If the surface looks glossy you can take a medium grit sandpaper and sand them lightly or replace them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those were great responses, I wish I read them and tried them before I went out again. I noticed when I went out again that my rear tire wouldnt grip at all and then suddenly lock up and skid ( bad bad bad ). Well between now and that post I slid my bike. :eek: . Basically I used the rear brake right before a turn.. the turn happened to have a little gravel. The rear brake locked up and hit the gravel. The front wheel went with the turn and the back wheel kept going. I ended up getting a bit of road rash and a bike needing a new fairing, clutch lever, shift lever, and left mirror. Its far from totalled but I can imagine this will break 1k. It was a relatively slower slide (20-30mph maybe at most). I wonder though I recently had the rear brake lever replaced... think the repair shop screwed up? Or do we just stock this up to new biker stupidity? cuz... Im totally willing to go with that. :mad: anybody know a place to get cheap parts... other than ebay... its an 06 :-/

·
Registered
68 Posts
sorry to hear dude. at least you are alright! In general i do not use the rear break. Under hard braking the front of the bike is loaded and the rear gets light. I read in a code book that the rear has something like 10-15lbs of pressure from the wheel to the ground under braking - not enough for most of us to effectivly use for slowing down. The rear locking up is normal, all my bikes do that when I use the rear brake - solution - don't use the rear brake!

There are exception - on a gravel driveway or if you end up off-roading in the grass (oops) then you only want to use the rear!

Once the rear locks you will get squirly and could loose control :(

Before I got into track riding I used to use the rear all the time - hard habit to undo!

best luck getting her fixed up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts