Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not good. Heading home to Ohio from Portland (stopping by Glacier) and the bike starts to lose power, then shuts down. When I try to start it, nothing. No fuel pump sound, no starter. Lights come on, joe , signals work, no error messages, but no joy. Any ideas?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
This is not good. Heading home to Ohio from Portland (stopping by Glacier) and the bike starts to lose power, then shuts down. When I try to start it, nothing. No fuel pump sound, no starter. Lights come on, joe , signals work, no error messages, but no joy. Any ideas?
Dead battery from a failed R/R?

Just guessing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...just tried to start it, and it turns a bit, but not enough to start the engine. Sign of a bad r/r?

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
weak battery, bad cell. Had a similar problem, turned out to be the battery.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Hmmm...just tried to start it, and it turns a bit, but not enough to start the engine. Sign of a bad r/r?
The battery for sure is suspect. The question is what killed it, or the bike? On some ducs, the R/R will eventually fry itself, or the attached wiring, and will just run off of the battery until it dies. It could be a bad battery, or a loose ground, as well.

If it is just a bad battery, a new one should have you good to go. For the R/R, have a look at it and note how flexible and any cracking with the lead wires. If they are discolored, burnt, or otherwise really inflexible, there is good reason to suspect that the R/R and wiring is at fault.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery for sure is suspect. The question is what killed it, or the bike? On some ducs, the R/R will eventually fry itself, or the attached wiring, and will just run off of the battery until it dies. It could be a bad battery, or a loose ground, as well.

If it is just a bad battery, a new one should have you good to go. For the R/R, have a look at it and note how flexible and any cracking with the lead wires. If they are discolored, burnt, or otherwise really inflexible, there is good reason to suspect that the R/R and wiring is at fault.

I'm checked in at a hotel now, but I'll check the R/R in the morning.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

this is good advice to stow away for a just in case moment.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It was mentioned in passing, but while you are at it, loosen and clean the main engine ground and re-tighten with di-electric grease. My 04 died suddenly for this reason.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still haven't had a chance to look at the bike today (hotel is a hike from the bike) but just thinking online here...if it were the battery, I'm guessing it wouldn't have turned at all after waiting. Would the fact that the battery seemed to charge a bit after waiting point to the r/r as the culprit?

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Still haven't had a chance to look at the bike today (hotel is a hike from the bike) but just thinking online here...if it were the battery, I'm guessing it wouldn't have turned at all after waiting. Would the fact that the battery seemed to charge a bit after waiting point to the r/r as the culprit?
Not really. A battery is a chemical storage device, and the chemical process that creates the electricity is not linear. Even depleted, a cell will still have some reactants left to create a small rebound effect.

Think of the battery as analogous to a sponge rather than a plastic bottle. Both hold liquid, but the sponge is a bit more variable and elastic.

Once any battery chemistry is pushed below its activation threshold, it is permanently damaged due to loss of potential in the chemical bonds, which would require refinement to again return to a state with any useful potential.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, turns out it to be an incredibly complex issue that only the best and brightest could resolve.
I ran out of gas.:eek:
My first thought when it shut off was perhaps I was out of gas, since the fuel gauge shows low after about 50 miles, thus I ignore it. But, I was only at 136 miles, so that first made me skeptical. Plus, the fact that it didn't turn at all afterwards made me suspect an electrical issue. But, the dealer at the local Suzi shop mentioned it probably went into vapor lock when it ran out of fuel...:confused: Sure...ok.
ANyway, had them check the charging system, just to be sure, and everything check out ok. Back on the road! :D

·
Registered
805 Posts
just a thought... you weren't trying to start with the bike in gear and the side stand down ? that would give the " all lights on but no ones home " symptom too.

cheers,
Witto.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just a thought... you weren't trying to start with the bike in gear and the side stand down ? that would give the " all lights on but no ones home " symptom too.

cheers,
Witto.

I wondered the same, but then I remembered trying to start it after I'd pushed it to a parking lot. Who knows? After a full day on the bike, most of it pretty cold, 2,000 miles from home, brain melt is not impossible.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
The symptoms of vapor lock are sputtering and stalling as the fuel vaporizes before reaching the injector. Vapor lock will not prevent the engine from turning over. If you suspect vapor lock, the symptoms would be an engine that spins but doesn't catch and injectors that spit.

Edit: I should also add that a weak electrical system might also show up as a fuel pump with lower-than-normal output pressure. Couple that with higher-altitude and reformulated gas, and you might get vapor-lock.

As for the engine not turning over (possibly when hot?), this may be due to a dead spot on the starter or poor ground / low-integrity mains for the solenoid.

All should be considered.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I can think of worse places to be stuck!

At least your in northwest Montana! I have a summer home up there on the Flathead Lake. Might be one of the prettiest places on earth..

Ride safe..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts