Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ca. Cycle Works is out of Trufit belts, Motowheels has Surfit belts. Has anybody used the belts from Motowheels? Are they the same thing with a different name?
I bought my GT1000 without a service history and am a bit nervous about riding before a belt change. (OK, I rode a few miles to make sure it runs well).
If anyone out there has experience with the Motowheels belts please chime in here. A bad purchase, as you know, could be disastrous. I tried the search engine but could not find any info on the Surfit belts. The Trufit belts should be back in stock by the end of the month. Should I wait the extra two weeks or go with Surfit at Motowheels.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,202 Posts
Two weeks isn't very long to wait if ExactFit belts make you feel better. I've never used the others so I can't say. There's always OEM if time is of the essence.

·
Official Retired Person
7,300 Posts
I just bought a new set of belts for my GT from LT Snyder. Exact Fit that fit exactly! Order from his web site.
desmotimes.com

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Just ordered from CA Cycle, website and follow up email say early next month shipping, in stock by end of month. I have one set now for the engine rebuild, will put the just ordered set on the other bike as soon as it gets here.

OP - I recommend waiting for the Exact-fit, or finding someone who has some in stock. Some websites offer them but their practice in the past was not to stock them but as per order turning around and placing one with CA Cycle for fulfillment - so it might appear as though they have them when they do not.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I just bought a new set of belts for my GT from LT Snyder. Exact Fit that fit exactly! Order from his web site.
desmotimes.com
I was looking to buy a set myself, but I probably have til end of the season or maybe next so I'll just hang out till CA has them available. My belts are 2 years old but I've only put about 1.2k miles. My policy is 4 year or 7500 miles which ever comes first. YMMV.

FYI, LT is closing the DT shop from May til March 2021 b/c of military duty. EMS Duc (valve shims) is staying open.

Also from his website (bold italic emphasis is mine):

Desmo Times sources primarily Exactfit Timing Belts. If they stockout, I switch to trufit (exactfit clone) belts, Dayco, or other. The goal is to ensure you get your bike on the road with similarly constructed belts. If you are paranoid about quality then purchase OEM belts for 2x the price for similarly constructed belts.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I would absolutely trust anything LT says. If he says those belts are good, they're good.
I've bought stuff from him and I don't have any doubt it would be good. I personally like "or other" option.

Reminds me of a restaurant I went to in Cambridge MA in the late '80s called "Nicks Beef and Beer". They had two beers on tap when I asked once. "Michelob or Schlitz they said". I said great "we'll have a pitcher of Michelob". The waiter said, "Oh no, you don't get to choose...its either Michelob or Schlitz or some combination of the two."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts